Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #55
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
when to go synthetic? Whenever you want. I did @ 5200 miles. opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #56
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesue View Post
As to drain intervals: oil analysis is the only way way to determine the condition of engine oil and when to change. It provides the contents of the oil; i.e, the particulates and amounts that are suspended in the oil after use. Each engine type produces a varying amount of particulates - some more than others - hence the varying oil drain intervals by model, engine and manufacturer. As a point of fact, each manufacturer performs engine oil analysis during their prototype testing period and use this as the basis for the oil change interval recommendations. Unless otherwise stated, they use mineral-based oils in these tests.

As to extended drain intervals: true synthetics, and to a lesser degree hybrid synthetics, have been proven by oil analysis to extend suspension intervals to oil change ratios which can support longer drain intervals. Long haul trucking companies use this as cost savings strategy but back it up by regular oil analysis. The challenge in the absence of oil analysis is 'how long is long enough?' Real-world experience such as those provided here by the Yaris constituency are good indicators with the caveat of risk.

As to MPG and HP gains: the only true test is the dyno. The dyno test is absolute proof of ANY performance gain from ANY modification. Some have experienced real-world gains using synthetics - others have not - as indicated in the varying responses. It may be noteworthy in the buying decision whether oil manufacturers posts dyno test results to prove the performance gains they claim in their ads if they claim this as the reason for using their product. Real-world experience is a good indicator but neither absolute nor universal. Actually, any "add this and you get that" should be backed up by dyno testing. THE DYNO RULES.

What I have proffered herein is not to discount real-world experiences; rather, to lend scientific rigor to the proof. It is best to follow the manufacturers drain interval recommendation using mineral-based oils as they performed the tests to support their recommendation. Given the cost differential of true synthetics, the return on investment is in the extended drain intervals and improvement in MPG/HP. The risk factor notwithtanding - one takes one's chances extending oil change intervals - there is an allure to using synthetics, supported by the real-world experiences by those who use them. (For what its worth, my personal position is to use precisely what the manufacturer recommends as they have done the testing to back their recommendation).

I hope this helps. Man, I sure love this Yaris!!!! It is 'da bomb'!!!

for this post

People must understand this: Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec ARE NOT synthetic oils! There is no benefit to use those two oils, unless you need a better start-up on cold mornings. Synthetic oils that allow for extended oil change intervals, are Mobil 1 Extended Performance (although still not a 100% real synthetic oil), RedLine, Motul, Amsoil, etc.

Last edited by hystria; 02-06-2007 at 09:36 PM.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #57
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Castrol oil 10-30w

hey guys what do you think of castrol oil???
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:23 AM   #58
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
when to go synthetic? Whenever you want. I did @ 5200 miles. opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.
belly buttons... that's a much milder version of that expression than I'm used to hearing

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #59
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Castrol GTX is a very fine mineral oil - to be changed every 6 months. The perfect choice for regular oil change intervals
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #60
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Although I just found this interesting news article...
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...&from=business
yeah, my dad received something in the mail about that.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #61
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
switched my tranny to redline 75w90 @ 800 miles. switched my engine to amsoil 5w30 @ 3200 miles. my car loves me.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #62
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
switched my tranny to redline 75w90 @ 800 miles. switched my engine to amsoil 5w30 @ 3200 miles. my car loves me.
"your car loves you" meaning you feel a difference? is there a noticeable improvement over OEM juice? Give some details.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #63
drg

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
My own synthentic oil test

Back in 83 or 84, I forget exactly which right now, I bought two new bottom end Hondas with solid lifter valve trains that, because of component wear, required periodic adjustment . The specs on the valves were .005 + or - .002. At the first oil change I went in and ever so precisely set the valves at .005 and put synthetic in one and petroleum base in the other. I then checked the valves at each synthetic oil change of 10,000 miles and every other petroleum based oil change of 5,000 miles. The petroleum based reached or exceeded .007 at 65,000 and the synthetic reached it at 155,000. I've run synthetics at the first oil change in every new car since, I'd guess that would be ten or twelve including three Toyotas, and none of them have been oil burners and I have ran all of them more than 250,000 miles before trading.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #64
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
"your car loves you" meaning you feel a difference? is there a noticeable improvement over OEM juice? Give some details.
my car loves me as in the engine and tranny love synthetic oil over dino oil. and yes, that's a fact!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #65
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
I have read on here i beleive that some amsoil guys go over 20k before a change? If so do you change the filter out in there somewhere? I have used mobil 1 succesfully for years. I know its not the same as amsoil but i always changed it and the filter every 3k regardless. I was just wondering about filter change on such a long interval.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #66
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz View Post
oh no not htis again, u have 106 hp YOU DO NOT NEED SYNTHETIC its a waste of money... man ppl on the scion life got burned for this topic on the xb dont start up the fire, do what u want but its a waste to use synthetic and from what ive heard its worse to use it if the engine doesnt rev high because its a thicker formula whatever... this is what happens when ppl think bigger is better. u have an econocar why do u need sport oil for a cheap car! WHY!?
This is the most retarded post i have ever read on the internet.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote