Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Question RHD Vitz RS cluster

I'll be less discrete in here....

To answer your question from previous thread CTScott...

Cluster indicators working:

High beam
regular beam
fogs (i dont have)
driver seatbelt working
engine sign
no maintenance light
Temp cool and hot
Tach working

Cluster indicators and other indicators on car not working:
passenger seatbelt (the one near the right side center vents...)
passenger airbag (although, after i clicked the seatbelt w/ no passenger, it shows: Airbag off light, I haven't tried w/ passenger seated)
E-brake light on ((!))

NEW DISCOVERY....tonight i went out for a 2 mile drive....i noticed the speedometer DOESN'T work, ???

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-13-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
looks like its not a direct swap :( i wouldnt be able to do the KM vs miles anyway but that sucks

looks like it needs to be rewired

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Something just hit me.... Its a direct swap, BUT only for 08 Yaris models and up, because.....08 models started to have the S models which came with a tach (i believe)...so to accomodate the tach, the wiring had to be different setup on 08 basic models too. 07 models and below did not have S models or tachs. The wiring is different on 07 versus the 08....

Gideon on here had the cluster working perfectly (08' model), but my speedometer wont work on mine (07' model)

KM conversion to mph I'll get use to....just use my GPS as a reference guide for a few days, then i have it memorized lol.
I have to adjust the kms on the cluster to those miles on my current one...

EDIT: Anyone w/ an 08' base or S Yaris model...could you show me a close up shot of the two connectors that connect to the cluster? Or a diagram from the 08 S Owner's manual...?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
the 08+ USDM cluster works fine on 07 and down yarii

a few people have them and they work fine, i think its the JDM issue

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

The 08 S cluster, does that work on an 07 Yaris? A base no tach cluster will work on an 07... I've seen that....

Gideon's 08 base made the JDM cluster work plus his current one...i strongly think it has to do w/ wiring on the 07 versus 08 models....
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Yeah, the cluster worked fine in my car.

Advocate and I took it in my car for a spin to verify it was all good, and as far as I was aware, it worked fine. I don't know about dimming, (it was bright, but I had my instrument lights on the highest setting as usual) but I recall that everything else was operational because I was taking note of my shift speed at redline to verify it was reporting speed correctly.

Also I recall pointing out that it was nice to have just one light on the cluster, which was my airbag light, (always on because of the driver seat removal) instead of two (TPMS light going off on my stock cluster, JDM doesn't have it AFAIK) so as far as I was aware, indicators worked fine. (Headlight, high beam light, etc)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Funny...the (SRS) airbag light stays ON in my car too...And i have stock seats haha. I want to see if a passenger sitting on the right side will make it go away. Nonetheless, the SRS light and brake light don't bother me or effect the car in any way.

I'll wait for you and CTScott tomorrow and conquer this piece~
Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
USDM 07-09 wiring is identical, except for additional signals that were added with new features (none were moved though). The tach is not fed by signal wire on the cluster. The clusters with a tach actually get the tach data from the ECM via CAN bus.

The speedometer is fed off of the transmission speed sender unit on non-ABS cars, and via CAN bus from the Brake Actuator on ABS equipped cars.

Emergency Brake signal is sent over CAN bus, but brake fluid level is fed by direct signal.

Where wire swaps come into play is with RHD vs LHD cars, and there are some differences
with European (TMMF) vs Japanese (TMC) cars.

The EWD that I am referencing is a European one, which has the details for TMC and TMMF manufactured cars, ones with and without VSC, with and without automatic A/C, and with and without the entry and start system (push button start). I would really like to get my hands on a set of JDM EWDs to see if there are any differences from the one I am looking at.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Looking at Gideon's post about the Speedo, etc. working properly in his car; It really makes we wonder if your 07 ECM is the issue. For example, if Gideon has ABS and you don't, that could explain the speedo working in his but not on yours.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Then how come my ECM sends signal to the tach instead of the speedometer. whereas when I switch back to stock, the speedometer works.

Also, due to my stupidity, i drove to work w/ the JDM cluster.

Update 2: Aside from speed not working, the odo kilomters dont work either. It stayed at 60809 kilometers during my 3 mile commute to work...I hope this helps.

I would still like to see the wiring config on the 08'...something tells me in the back of my mind, that that can be the cause....lol..

And the cluster dims when holding the button 3 secs. Thanks for that help :)

Would pics of my connector with the wiring help CTScott?
I know the pins had to be taken out and rewired to make the JDM Vitz RS tail lights work correctly....i think this is the case here too?~
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Then how come my ECM sends signal to the tach instead of the speedometer. whereas when I switch back to stock, the speedometer works.

Also, due to my stupidity, i drove to work w/ the JDM cluster.

Update 2: Aside from speed not working, the odo kilomters dont work either. It stayed at 60809 kilometers during my 3 mile commute to work...I hope this helps.

I would still like to see the wiring config on the 08'...something tells me in the back of my mind, that that can be the cause....lol..

And the cluster dims when holding the button 3 secs. Thanks for that help :)

Would pics of my connector with the wiring help CTScott?
I know the pins had to be taken out and rewired to make the JDM Vitz RS tail lights work correctly....i think this is the case here too?~

I have the USDM EWDs for 07, 08 and 09, so I am sure its not a pin difference thing between the two USDM cars. I just triple checked the USDM ones and the only difference wiring-wise between the three years is the addition of TPWS to pin 6 of the right side connector, everything else is identical.

As for the speedometer issue, My theory is if you don't have ABS, then you have a different ECM than a car with ABS (or at least for 07). The ECM would be programmed to send speed data to the cluster on an non-ABS ECM, whereas on a ABS car it would be programmed to not send it, as the meter would get it from the Brake actuator.

So, why have people been able to swap USDM clusters? Well, maybe it was only 07 USDM ECMs that didn't send the speedo data to the cluster, as maybe ABS was atypical in 07. Then, in 08 the ECM would send it whether it needed to or not. (Again, just me speculating)

Your odo not working makes sense if the speedo isn't working, as the odo is based on the speedo.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Oh, and as for the tach working, the tach was always CAN based. It didn't have two different feeds like the speedo.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I see. Would there be any solution to this, lets say if I installed ABS on my 07..?I think there was an option to do, not quite sure..

Now what really has me sparked is....if i took Gideon's or anyone else's 08 base cluster ( with speedometer only) and tried it on mine..would it work? Since you said 08 ECM sends signal through Brake Actuator..and the 07 sends through transmission speed sensor. And I'd like to see if thats the case~

This is a CVT cluster from the RS. It works flawlessly with my manual tranny, the gears are accordingly done. I took 3rd to 6000rpm, no flaw what so ever..

EDIT: Just read your post about the tach working through the CAN....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I see. Would there be any solution to this, lets say if I installed ABS on my 07..?I think there was an option to do, not quite sure..

Now what really has me sparked is....if i took Gideon's or anyone else's 08 base cluster ( with speedometer only) and tried it on mine..would it work? Since you said 08 ECM sends signal through Brake Actuator..and the 07 sends through transmission speed sensor. And I'd like to see if thats the case~

This is a CVT cluster from the RS. It works flawlessly with my manual tranny, the gears are accordingly done. I took 3rd to 6000rpm, no flaw what so ever..

EDIT: Just read your post about the tach working through the CAN....
I am thinking that the simplest solution to the speedo issue may be to pick up a newer ECM.

I am very curious as well about trying a newer USDM cluster (ABS equipped) on your 07.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I'm totally an idiot when it comes to these things...

Could you obtain the ECM part number by any chance?
And is it something a dealer will only do or can i have tuner shops do this as well?

I will have to arrange w/ Gideon or anyone else in the Bay Area to let me swap out for 5 mins to try the 08+ base cluster..
Advocate, fmicle, ezhacker, can one of you be nice enough to let me do that for 5 mins? I will buy the person lunch (seriously)...

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm totally an idiot when it comes to these things...

Could you obtain the ECM part number by any chance?
And is it something a dealer will only do or can i have tuner shops do this as well?

I will have to arrange w/ Gideon or anyone else in the Bay Area to let me swap out for 5 mins to try the 08+ base cluster..anyone nice enough to let me do that for 5 mins?

I would try the cluster swap test first. If the speedo doesn't work, then I'd start looking for an ebay or junkyard ECM that is off of an 08 with the same type of transmission. Ideally, you'd want to first try the cluster in someone's 08 that doesn't have ABS. (Or, if Gideon doesn't, then that's already been done.)
Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
I'll try to grab my friend's 09 cluster (with ABS) and slap it into my 07 Yaris Liftback (without ABS) and verify the speedo works or not, nothing is a substiture for a live-fire test, ya' know?

May not get it done this week, but I'll try just to rule that in/out.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

WolfWing - That would be GREATLY appreciated if you could test that out for me. And true that, for a live-fire test
Also, thanks for the dimmer tip....it worked. When my lights were on, they toggled to dim and then back to bright when lights off..Keep us updated~

CTScott - I just texted Gideon, he has ABS on his. So...i will try to find someone to test out JDM cluster on a non-ABS 08' model...With WolfWing's test results and mine after swapping the clusters from our friends, i hope it will provide you with more concrete solution...

I know Kragen Auto Parts can order refurbished car parts for almost any model...can they order ECM too? I may order it through them instead of ebay or junkyard..

P.S. What does ECM actually stand for? (electronic control management?)
Sorry for asking this so late in this problem...