Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Okay...

I took the car in this morning for it's 15K service and mentioned the issue. They claim they were able to recreate it (I had some issues recreating the noise before I took it in since it was sprinkling this morning... not sure if the moisture/wet roads would play a part) and they said it's a normal noise from the steering stopper. I guess if you're trying to squeeze out of a parallel parking spot, for example, and have the wheel turned you may hear a horrendous clunking sound if you happen to go over a bump.

I personally think it's a load of crap and I honestly don't think they recreated exactly what I heard. Especially since it only happens in one direction. I think I fell victim to the "car acting just fine the day you decide to take it in" scenario. lol

Anyway, It passed all visual inspections and supposedly has a clean bill of health. Maybe now that the tires were rotated, brakes cleaned, etc, the mysterious clunk will disappear. Either way, I sure hope the noise doesn't come back...
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #20
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
lol.. the steering stopper... from turning the wheel completely....

/out
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
yup , been there . Is frustrating .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #22
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
Don't turn your wheel all the way, especially while stopped. Its hard on the power steering and dangerous. I make U-turns on 2 lane(each way) roads and when I start moving the wheel is still straight. Also, if your wheel is turned while you are stopped, and you get rear ended, you get pushed into oncoming traffic.

If its only one direction it sounds like you tweaked your P/S rack from slamming it on U-turns.
Power Steering? The Yaris doesn’t have one...
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #23
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
lol.. the steering stopper... from turning the wheel completely....

/out

Like you haven't had to turn your wheel more than 90degrees to get out of a parking space?

Anyway, enough negativity!!!

PM sent.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
Power Steering? The Yaris doesn’t have one...
Is this the troll yarrr thread and nobody told me? Maybe you should read up on the threads about pulling the P/S fuse to disable it, or read your manual, or look under the hood once in awhile.

Sorry for the negativity, but I called the problem and the cause, and I got nothing but "oh you're must be smoking something" from 2 people, and flak from the OP(whose problem I solved without a trip to the dealer)

anyways, problem solved, lessons still not learned, really out this time
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Is this the troll yarrr thread and nobody told me? Maybe you should read up on the threads about pulling the P/S fuse to disable it, or read your manual, or look under the hood once in awhile.

Sorry for the negativity, but I called the problem and the cause, and I got nothing but "oh you're must be smoking something" from 2 people, and flak from the OP(whose problem I solved without a trip to the dealer)

but but but MY CAR DOESN'T DO DAT
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #26
Lucas13

Quote:

Dont get me wrong Im not making fun you, I had no idea about the other threads.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
Okay...

I took the car in this morning for it's 15K service and mentioned the issue. They claim they were able to recreate it (I had some issues recreating the noise before I took it in since it was sprinkling this morning... not sure if the moisture/wet roads would play a part) and they said it's a normal noise from the steering stopper. I guess if you're trying to squeeze out of a parallel parking spot, for example, and have the wheel turned you may hear a horrendous clunking sound if you happen to go over a bump.

I personally think it's a load of crap and I honestly don't think they recreated exactly what I heard. Especially since it only happens in one direction. I think I fell victim to the "car acting just fine the day you decide to take it in" scenario. lol

Anyway, It passed all visual inspections and supposedly has a clean bill of health. Maybe now that the tires were rotated, brakes cleaned, etc, the mysterious clunk will disappear. Either way, I sure hope the noise doesn't come back...
Weird, I've had the same problem for about a year now and no one is able to tell me what it is... oh could it be this, could be that, etc... no one really knows and I feel that your dealership is saying the same thing.

There is definitely an issue with either the shocks, ball joint (which is stupid how toyota designed theirs), cv joint, or steering rack.

Once I build up my tool collection, I'm taking apart my whole front end to inspect each and every part.
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
have lowering springs?

could it be a loose endlink? maybe the endlink is binding on something? loose strut top nut?

with the one-nut setup on the front strut, the suspension moves a surprising amount....

crank your wheel all the way to whatever way you say clunks, then pop the hood....check out the top of your strut tower....i bet its sitting up....

the clunk COULD be the strut rubbing on the top of the strut tower as you slightly straighten out your wheel...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
This may sound too easy, but I had a similar sound from my car and it was two loose lug nuts. Take a look it may be that simple.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #30
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
i have the same noise as well but it seems to only happens during cold starts... im going to take it in when i hit 15k and see what it is
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #31
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonz View Post
Weird, I've had the same problem for about a year now and no one is able to tell me what it is... oh could it be this, could be that, etc... no one really knows and I feel that your dealership is saying the same thing.

There is definitely an issue with either the shocks, ball joint (which is stupid how toyota designed theirs), cv joint, or steering rack.

Once I build up my tool collection, I'm taking apart my whole front end to inspect each and every part.
It's so frustrating. My car definitely still is making the sound (only on tight left turns). I think I may take it back and get the service guy in my and I'll pull in/out of a parking spot so he can hear the sound. I took it in and it was a very wet morning/still sprinkling and I don't think they heard the loud clunk sound.

In a way, it's kinda nice to know it's not just my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
have lowering springs?

could it be a loose endlink? maybe the endlink is binding on something? loose strut top nut?

with the one-nut setup on the front strut, the suspension moves a surprising amount....

crank your wheel all the way to whatever way you say clunks, then pop the hood....check out the top of your strut tower....i bet its sitting up....

the clunk COULD be the strut rubbing on the top of the strut tower as you slightly straighten out your wheel...
Nope. Only exterior mods: strut bar & rear sway bar. When I took it in they did the "60-point inspection" and everything was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
This may sound too easy, but I had a similar sound from my car and it was two loose lug nuts. Take a look it may be that simple.
I doubt it's the lugs since I just had the tires rotated by the dealer... lol Still is making the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang View Post
i have the same noise as well but it seems to only happens during cold starts... im going to take it in when i hit 15k and see what it is
Does the noise only happen in one direction? Mine will happen simply by turning... doesn't matter if the engine is warmed up or not, it'll still happen.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
Lucas13

There is a chance that is that same part that is responsible for this noise, Have anyone tried braking hard, I get up to 35miles and apply the brake hard, w/o locking the tires, and trying to pump it a little bit so the car bounce, I feel and hear this horrible clunk specially more on the passenger’s side, I was analyzing today the suspension and maybe the force of the caliper that is distributed on the suspension makes something to displace from its base it could be the ball joints from the control arms, this could be related to all the noises when parking forward and applying the brake. I definitely want to get to the bottom of this problem.

I’ve been having suspension noises since I bought the car with 13 miles only, the dealer has looked at this many times and they can’t find it, only one time they re-torque the subframe and I think it worked for some time, but the clunk returned 2 weeks later.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
have seen service not tighten lugs enough . Also , see many types of TOYOTAs old and new that are missing wheel covers . Could be whoever serviced the cars didn't put the wheel covers on properly . I always check them right on their premises whenever tires are removed . May pee them off , but I don't care . Have found a few to be loose .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #34
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
Nope. Only exterior mods: strut bar & rear sway bar. When I took it in they did the "60-point inspection" and everything was fine.
crank the wheel all the way to the left, pop the hood, and take a pick of the top of the strut towers...
Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
have seen service not tighten lugs enough . Also , see many types of TOYOTAs old and new that are missing wheel covers . Could be whoever serviced the cars didn't put the wheel covers on properly . I always check them right on their premises whenever tires are removed . May pee them off , but I don't care . Have found a few to be loose .
I took my hubcaps off completely. I don't care for the look, so that's definitely not the issue. I'll check the tightness of the lugs later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
crank the wheel all the way to the left, pop the hood, and take a pick of the top of the strut towers...
I'll take a pic later today and post it.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #36
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
I had a wierd clunk a few years ago when the car was new, someone a bolt inside the transmission that holds my driver side halfshaft in place came loose. I took it in, and took a tech on a drive WITH me, so I could personally show him what it did (none of that "sorry we couldn't get it to do it again" BS) and they were able to figure it out from there.

that's my clunk story