Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Unhappy 2008 Yaris bad idle and stalling

Okay so I am having an issue that has been getting worse over the past few months. At idle the RPMS drop enough to violently shake the car then RPMS jump back up or the engine will stall, the shake happens most of the time the stall maybe 2-3 times a day. There are no codes,alternator reads 13.8ish at idle and 14.04ish at 1500RPMs I have cleaned the throttle body and MAF I have 24inhg vacuum at idle I checked for leaks none found.
Any help would be appreciated as my scan tool at work does not read new Toyota's. I can only check for codes and see the freeze frame data at the time the code was set but as I have no codes I am stuck.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
kou

Well I just changed my intake back to stock from a K&N 69 series intake that has been on the car since new and my issue seems to be gone. We will see on the drive home if it stays gone.
The K&N pipe is bigger than the stock pipe but it's just weird that after nearly five years my car does not seem to like the K&N anymore which sucks because it delivered much better throttle response
Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
kou

After driving home and back to work today all my issues seem to be fixed with the install of the stock airbox.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
kou

I just put a different intake in, now lets see if the symptoms come back.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Sorry, but I am not a fan of K&N "filters." I had one on a VR6 Passat and it caused me nothing but trouble. Sure, the intake noise sounded cool; but it let a ton of crap go down the pipe and I was always fixing the MAF sensor.

I don't think they offer any increase in performance, just problems down the road...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Probably had a vacuum leak somewhere past the MAF sensor, most likely loose clamp or hose to the throttle that will cause rough idle and occasional stalling. most likely when putting the stock back on everything was tightened securely and the problem was corrected. Not a fan of oiled filters such as K&N the oil has a tendency to get drawn off the filter and then contaminate the sensitive maf sensor wires then it becomes a dust magnet and the dirt that bypasses the free flowing filter sticks onto the sensor and causes it to fail prematurely.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
kou

Never had a problem with this or any K&N intake until the past few months. Everything was tight on the intake. I put the intake from my zage turbo kit in for now and it seems to run fine I will try the K&N tomorrow to verify that was the problem. Still very weird after being on the car so long.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Did you have to recently oil it? Supposedly the biggest problems are caused by people over oiling the filter.

Did you recently do any other maintenance?

The idle problem sounds like a normal idle, except it then drops too low and gets too much air from the intake. You can actually raise the idle a tad via the throttle body to make it not hunt.

I had a K&N short ram intake installed a few months ago. At 700 rpm fully warmed the idle is rock solid.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
kou

Just an update I reset my ecu then installed my K&N car was okay for half the day then my issues started again so reinstalled may Zage intake.