Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Current State of Rust: 10 years above the salt belt

The other day I posted pictures of my rotted control arm bolts (posted in the control arm bolt megathread).

So, today I took a few pictures of rusty spots within the engine bay. I wanted to share with you guys to see if this is normal, or worse than normal, and what types of preventative measures should be taken.

Are these findings normal? What about you guys in Canada? My plan is to drive this vehicle until it fails. Where should I be looking for rust under the vehicle? Control arms/frame/suspension parts??

FYI the vehicle is a 2007 Yaris Sedan, with 183k miles on it. Spent its whole life in Massachusetts, driven year round.

Here is a general shot of the engine bay.
enginebay.JPG

Here are two shots of the passenger side shock tower. I noted rust beginning there about a year or two ago, so I sprayed the area with some PB blaster and coated it with oil, in an attempt to stop the spread of rust/rot.
passengertower.JPG
passengertowercloseup.JPG

Here is the driver's side shock tower. Not treated at all. When I saw the passenger side beginning with rust a few years ago, this side had no issues.
drivertower.JPG
drivertowercloseup.JPG

Here is a shot of the battery and its brackets.
battery.JPG

And lastly I took some pictures of the clutch bleeder valve/starter area in front of the engine bay. My starter was replaced a couple of months back (as you can see it stands out, completely free of rust). The bleeder valve is significantly rusted. I used it to bleed the clutch last summer, but I'm afraid if i were to try that now, I might snap it off.
starter:clutch.JPG
clutchbleedcloseup.JPG
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote