Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Another Good Book!

Its name is The Dead Hand. Author David Hoffman. Pulitzer Prize.

TDH is what the Soviets called their computer automated system that would respond in case the US launched a surprise nuclear attack. When the US installed Pershing medium range missiles and nuclear tipped cruise missiles in Europe (in response to the Soviets SS20 short range missiles) Tte Soviets figured the leadership in Moscow would be dead in six minutes, were the missiles to be launched. So they created The Dead Hand. They would be dead but their dead hand would still able to launch a response that would kill all their enemies.

Catchy title huh?

This book is written from all the information we got when the Soviet Union collapsed. And compares it with what is known on our side, ie Ronald Regan and his Star Wars program.

For instance the Korean Airlines 747 shoot down by the Soviet Air Force in 1983. Remember that? The Regan Administrations (and the media) portrayed that as an act of barbarity.

Not quite. But REALLY scary when you understand what each side was thinking at the time.

A lot of things that happened are explained in that light.

Of course that was all in the past. No need to worry about it now.

Is there?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Its name is The Dead Hand. Author David Hoffman. Pulitzer Prize.

TDH is what the Soviets called their computer automated system that would respond in case the US launched a surprise nuclear attack. When the US installed Pershing medium range missiles and nuclear tipped cruise missiles in Europe (in response to the Soviets SS20 short range missiles) Tte Soviets figured the leadership in Moscow would be dead in six minutes, were the missiles to be launched. So they created The Dead Hand. They would be dead but their dead hand would still able to launch a response that would kill all their enemies.

Catchy title huh?

This book is written from all the information we got when the Soviet Union collapsed. And compares it with what is known on our side, ie Ronald Regan and his Star Wars program.

For instance the Korean Airlines 747 shoot down by the Soviet Air Force in 1983. Remember that? The Regan Administrations (and the media) portrayed that as an act of barbarity.

Not quite. But REALLY scary when you understand what each side was thinking at the time.

A lot of things that happened are explained in that light.

Of course that was all in the past. No need to worry about it now.

Is there?
Sounds like a good read. I encountered Americans a few different times during one trip to Europe in the mid 90s who each had traveled (on that trip) through Russia by themselves for a couple of months. Uhhh...don't know if I'd do that right now/at this exact moment in time. Probably would want to be part of a tour until things are 'different'. Just a feeling....and I'm pretty adventurous.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I imagine they would be happy to have your money. Of course, the average Russian wouldn't have a problem with the average American. And vise versa.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
bairjo

Sounds like an interesting read....I'll have to check it out in the near future.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:41 PM   #5
Caradoc
I've made a post!

Drives: bmw
I know this topic is old. Fascinating insight! Can't wait to dive into "The Dead Hand" and unravel the Cold War mysteries. Thanks for the book recommendation.

Last edited by Caradoc; 01-21-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Caradoc is offline   Reply With Quote