Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Idea for the BP oil disaster

I have an idea for the BP oil disaster but BP has not sent me the forms they said they would when I called them... My idea is to float a large old metal ship which has had its deck cut out (save the support structures) out to the broken pipe, capsize it and sink it over the site. the oil should collect inside the upside down ship, like a bell jar, since the oil is lighter than water. Drill holes and attach pipes to the apex of the upside down ship and pump out the oil that has gathered there. I drew a quick diagram of what I mean. I hope you can tell what's going on despite the quality... what do you think? Any one know how to get this put into motion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bp.jpg (60.0 KB, 46 views)

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 06-05-2010 at 07:20 AM.
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
http://spillcam.tk/

------------------------------------------------------------------
this had already been proposed by Dutch engineering firms

what you are missing is:

a way to keep hydrates from lifting the vessel off the bottom while it is
put in place. 10 % of that flow is gas which turns to ice immediately, not
a simple problem
and, you'd need massive rocks and many of them to hold it to the ocean floor

the float idea you posted..., suck oil up, could not contain or lift all the oil to the surface, you'd need impossible
sized pumps and pipe diameters which exceed the capability of current engineering. you'd get some but
only a fraction...the pressure of the oil itself is needed to lift it one mile high. that diagram is impossible to design with enough capacity to get all the oil... not gonna happen.

or...dropping a hull on the ocean floor...this is not feasible because the BOP
must be controlled, and not
just hidden away under some large hull. to cap it while
the BOP is still leaking leaves a timebomb of erosion of the drill hole
below the bop, and like a flooded stream under a low bridge, eventually
the oil will erode the shaft, blow the bop off, and create an uncappable
hole and oil would spew out with about 20,000 psi. then it really would be
a disaster

what really pisses me off is:

the saw cutting the riser failed and got stuck. but it made an awesome cut up to
that point. instead of saying, screw it, lets unstick that saw and send another one just
like it down, so what if it leaks for 3 more days....we'll get a clean cut...

instead they made the panic decision to clamp-cut, making it -impossible- to fit the cap on tightly, and
now the cap is nearly useless. the news stories about, oh we are adjusting the cap and will
not know until we close the vents....well I have been looking at the 12 ROV cams, and
that cap will never, ever be able to stem the flow unless a new cut is made, or they
unbolt the riser and install a whole new BOP on top.

BP is screwing this up. sure it is a tough job trying to contain oil at 5000 psi at the BOP
(and 20,000 psi if it was left to run wild without a BOP in place), that is an
incredible amount of pressure. but they really cheesed the cut and cap operation. it
makes me dumbfounded

I predict BP will be bought out by another oil company when the stock plummets enough, and
that is the end of BP making decisions in drilling operations moving forward.

I have seen enough huge engineering projects in my day, this thing is cappable if they stop
screwing around, say to everyone, "Hey this is gonna leak like a sombitch for 1 month, but
then we will definitely cap this thing' and go develop the massive engineering to drop
a huge ROV down there with huge tools and just put a new damn BOP on there and stop
dicking around with tiny useless actions with the existing ROV's (which were designed for
day-to-day operations and are not capable of really big jobs)

I live next to iRobot and I will bet the engineers in there could build a freaking beauty of
a disaster-rated all-in-one can-do-anything ROV. I bet the oil industry now will be mandated to
have such a 'super robot' built and ready moving forward...I hope anyway

there is no problem drilling for oil 1 mile deep and then 2 more miles into rock. the problem
is bypassing safety, which is what BP made Deepwater engineers do. rush the job by 1 1/2 day
to save only 2 or 3 million dollars. that is what happened. Oh the drilling mud will keep the oil down,
yes it did. so lets try seawater, it is faster and we can plug this and move on...it seems to be holding...
Oh..oops seawater is not so good as holding down gas bubbles. plus the fact the rubber annular was broken
a week prior, preventing the BOP from being able to do it's job as a blow out preventer and turned
it into a blow out enabler. I, as well as 200 million other people, just want to scream.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 06-05-2010 at 11:21 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote