Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #91
SEVEN

Drives: 07' HB Black
I really love cars .. but let me tell you I have no knowledge whatsoever of them ... so ... which short shifter is better?? the engine bay one or the in cabin??? I want to buy one this week!! because they just seem so awesome so many great reviews that I need to get one ...

thanks in advanced!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #92
Mavix

Drives: '91 Hilux, '91 Cervo Mode
Well, having just put in the SSK-2 with the shifter cage and cable shifter bushings I haven't noticed a drastic reduction in the throw length but everything feels much more solid. Definitely worth the price of admission.

You could say I went about it backwards I suppose, without having the engine bay SSK installed first. I was more concerned with the sloppy/vague feeling of the shifter rather then the shortness of the throws. I guess compared to my truck, the Yaris feels short already, heh. Either way, I'm really pleased with how it is now, just getting rid of all the slop from the stock setup makes a world of difference.

But I guess I should get off my ass and order up the first kit. Considering the cost, it's worth a go.
Mavix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #93
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
I really love cars .. but let me tell you I have no knowledge whatsoever of them ... so ... which short shifter is better?? the engine bay one or the in cabin??? I want to buy one this week!! because they just seem so awesome so many great reviews that I need to get one ...

thanks in advanced!

Most of our customers order the regular SSK (engine bay) and come back a few months later for the SSK-2 (in cabin) option.

Both are great, both are easy to install, and both are very affordable.

Good luck

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #94
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavix View Post
Well, having just put in the SSK-2 with the shifter cage and cable shifter bushings I haven't noticed a drastic reduction in the throw length but everything feels much more solid. Definitely worth the price of admission.

You could say I went about it backwards I suppose, without having the engine bay SSK installed first. I was more concerned with the sloppy/vague feeling of the shifter rather then the shortness of the throws. I guess compared to my truck, the Yaris feels short already, heh. Either way, I'm really pleased with how it is now, just getting rid of all the slop from the stock setup makes a world of difference.

But I guess I should get off my ass and order up the first kit. Considering the cost, it's worth a go.
Very well put sir! Glad you are enjoying the end results provided by the pieces you picked up.

Good luck and have fun with all your future projects!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #95
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I bought the engine bay module and installed it in (quite literally) under 60 seconds, without rushing, lol. The first week or so it felt weird, however when I got used to how it shifts with it in, I would never ever go back to shifting without it.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #96
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I bought the engine bay module and installed it in (quite literally) under 60 seconds, without rushing, lol. The first week or so it felt weird, however when I got used to how it shifts with it in, I would never ever go back to shifting without it.
+1

My cousin was surprised and bit upset when we installed it lol
he spent more money on a short shifter for his Lancer but all it did was lower where the shifter is not really shorten the throw , when he tried mine he was hoping they made one for his car like the NST SSK but when i said no he was

Great Product loving it!!!

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #97
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
What, if any, is the benefit to using both these kits together? I'm already using the engine bay one, but am thinking of adding the in-cabin as well. Will I feel any difference?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #98
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
What, if any, is the benefit to using both these kits together? I'm already using the engine bay one, but am thinking of adding the in-cabin as well. Will I feel any difference?
Welcome to YarisWorld!

And yes, you would notice a difference with both installed.

You can find tons of reviews about this combination if you read through the previous pages of this thread.

You can also find more info here...
http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...nst-short.html

Old 03-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #99
MGargano

Just ordered it! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #100
MGargano

I installed both NST SSKs (in cabin and engine bay) and am loving them both! Installation was quick and painless and the feel is amazing. Of course, now I have my sights set on the cage and linkage bushings, but I have to ask: will there be a notable difference in feel and/or performance by installing the cage and linkage bushings?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #101
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Just got mine! I must say It feels pretty awesome. Only beef i have with is reverse but shit who needs to go reverse anyway? hahahaha Love it! Feels like my old G35's stock shifter.
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #102
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I gotta tell you guys. This + Garms +3incher is like... buttsekks.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #103
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
I installed both NST SSKs (in cabin and engine bay) and am loving them both! Installation was quick and painless and the feel is amazing. Of course, now I have my sights set on the cage and linkage bushings, but I have to ask: will there be a notable difference in feel and/or performance by installing the cage and linkage bushings?
I have the NST SSK engine bay one, and got the two shifter cable linkage bushings a few months ago. After driving with the engine SSK it didn't feel as firm as it use to, but after putting the shift cable bushings it feels alot firmer again. So yes it does make it feel better.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #104
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimond View Post
I have the NST SSK engine bay one, and got the two shifter cable linkage bushings a few months ago. After driving with the engine SSK it didn't feel as firm as it use to, but after putting the shift cable bushings it feels alot firmer again. So yes it does make it feel better.
Excellent. Glad to hear it

Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #105
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Can't wait to get these goodies for my girl's new '09 Carmine Red liftback.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #106
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Can't wait to get these goodies for my girl's new '09 Carmine Red liftback.
Woo hoo! A second Yaris! If you need help installing them, let me know. You can always borrow my snap ring pliers.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #107
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Drives: Yaris Seddan 08
i have a yaris seddan 2008 and i've read like a warning for the nst ssk engine bay one that says:

NOTE: Toyota sourced linkage from two sources from 2008 on. This shifter kit may not fit some 2008-09 models. If it doesn't fit your car, we recommend the SSK-2 in-cabin short shift kit instead.

it's true? how can i know if it fits or not?

DC Sports Header, Vibrant Hi-Flow Cat, Round Magnaflow Muffler, Vibrant Tip, Dunlop Direzza 195/50 Rims 15", Injen Technologies Cold Air Intake, NST CR-Lite crank, waterpump & alternator pulleys, Tanabe NF210 Springs, NST SSK 1 & 2, NST Shifter Cable & Cage Bushing Kit, Nitto Engine Torque Damper
t0m4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #108
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
Well this weekend I installed the engine bay kit and I was only able to get the pin that you guys supply with the kit. I could not get the OEM pin on. Either way I installed it and amazed what a difference it made together with the 3" extension.

I also installed one of the cable bushings(the one that goes on top of the SSK). The problem with the smaller bushing is that I could not remove it from the OEM piece. I tried to pry it out like I did with the other but no luck. It looks like I would have to cut the rubber bushing out to install the new one. I do have an 09' liftback.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote