Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Scoot

Drives: '07 Yaris liftback
HB Availability Update

I put a deposit down on a white 5sp hatch on April 18th. I know that some of you have been waiting even longer than that. Anyway the dealer just called to say that they don't know when they will get one in or why it's taking so long. They will refund my deposit if I like but I said I would wait for now. The dealer said they usually get a shipment from Toyota around the 1st and the 15th of each month. The mid-month shipment that just came in only had two Yaris. And neither was white.
Dealer said it was basically the same for all of Toyota's new models here. Toyota is advertising the new FJ Cruiser, Camry hybrid, RAV4 and Yaris but the dealerships are unable to get them. He said he could sell 20 Yaris today if he had them on the lot.
Oh well, you know Toyota will fix this soon because they don't want to miss the sales. Hope the rest of that are waiting get your Yaris real soon.

peace
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
lowkey

Drives: 90 Integra, 07 Yaris
I am from Canada and I was thinking about ordering a silver or white but the wait would be around 3-4 weeks. He said it would have to come straight from Japan.
We went for the black instead. ( it was on the lot )
lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
DARK505

Drives: Subaru Impreza WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackRabbit
I am from Canada and I was thinking about ordering a silver or white but the wait would be around 3-4 weeks. He said it would have to come straight from Japan.
We went for the black instead. ( it was on the lot )
I was told i have to wait 4+ weeks for mine... and i dont even know if i can get the black one i want. They told me that whatever they get in i have the option of saying yea or nea. From the looks of it on toyota.com (build your toyota) the black isnt even an option for me. I think i might end up calling the dealer and saying "if you cant get the black one with the options i want i will take my deposit back and go somewhere else." They had told me i could "special order" one but it would be about 4 months.
DARK505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Vodalus

Drives: Black Yaris 3dr Hatchback
There are two kinds of orders at a dealership. An allocation order simply modifies a car the dealer already has on his incoming list, you can change options and whatnot, but the transmission and color are locked in already, depending on what the dealer has coming in. This takes anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, due to the demand for this car in the U.S. right now. The dealer will take a refundable $500 deposit to reserve the car and order options changes.

The other kind of order is a factory custom order. You order the car to your exact specs, but the wait time is more like 10-12 weeks for this for a high demand import. Also involves a heftier deposit, I believe. Not sure.

Keep in mind the dealer will usually tell you the longer wait times, to try to push you towards the car in their current inventory, and push you into the office to work you for a deal right away.

If I had an extra grand, I might even consider placing multiple allocation orders at a couple of dealers, and take the one that comes in first. I've heard from people who have had the wrong car arrive after their allocation order, so having multiple options could save your ass as well, if the wrong car arrives at one dealer and not the other.

Also don't be afraid to shop the entire state to find the car you want in inventory. I was searching for a black one also, and found only like 2-3 of them in the entire western states. Fleet manager said it would be here in 2 weeks. I had to go about 150 miles away from my location to get it, but I figure that'll be a great way to break it in anyway.

If you search "new inventory toyota <your state>" with Google you can check lots of dealer inventories pretty fast. Most have them up on the internet. Toyota dealers know what's coming in each week on Thursday, Friday at the latest, and sometimes the dealer web pages don't get updated for a couple days after that, so if you really want the latest information you've gotta call the Fleet Manager as well.
Vodalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
DARK505

Drives: Subaru Impreza WRX
Quote:
There are two kinds of orders at a dealership. An allocation order simply modifies a car the dealer already has on his incoming list, you can change options and whatnot, but the transmission and color are locked in already, depending on what the dealer has coming in. This takes anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, due to the demand for this car in the U.S. right now. The dealer will take a refundable $500 deposit to reserve the car and order options changes.

The other kind of order is a factory custom order. You order the car to your exact specs, but the wait time is more like 10-12 weeks for this for a high demand import. Also involves a heftier deposit, I believe. Not sure.
Well i went to a different dealership to see if they could offer me anything better and they told me pretty much the same thing... they didnt mention the tranny, but they said the could change the color and get me the exact car i want... if this is actually the case i will just forget about the last two weeks ive been waiting and start the 4-6 week wait all over again.
Well if anything this gives me a barganing chip against the "greedy" dealership.

Right now there is only one yaris in the surrounding 7 states and its white... not my choice of color. :(
DARK505 is offline   Reply With Quote