Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
An easy way to dim AM tach lights...

As many who have installed an after market tach in a HB, I found that the tach's night time illumintion was too bright.

Tapping into the dimmer circuit can be too contrived and doesn't seem to work with many tachs from what I have been reading.

Personally, I didn't want to constantly adjust the brightnees... just set it and forget it as I did/do with my EL gauges on my Celica.

So, I went to Radio Shack and got a 1K ohm potentiometer (# 271-342) and wired it in line with the illumination current source. This is only $2.69. You want the 1K ohm unit, not the the 10k ohm unit that looks the same and has an almost identical mumber!

After much research on the net, I discovered that some others were doing the same with various tachs with great results.
Most all modern tachs draw extremely low current for the illumination and this works well.
Personally, I have a "SpeedHut Revolution" tach.

Just solder one wire to the post nearest the adjustment screw and and the output to the middle post. The other post is not needed and can be clipped off
Cover the post/solder joints with heat shrink tubing for insulation and for added strength.

The adjustment screw can now be turned to fine tune the voltage( resistance) to the illumimation to adjust the brightness.

Potentiometers and rheostats both do essentially the same thing... vary restistance. I could not find a suitable rheostat for this purpose.

The whole assembly can be neatly tucked away with the rest of the wires from the tach install on the convienet shelf created by the bottom of the dash in that area.

BTW, I like to install after market gauges like this with snap together M/F crimp on connectors. This makes installing something like this simply plug and play.
I just installed a male connector to one lead wire from the potentiometer and a female connector on the other lead to connect it to my existing install

Below is a pic of the potentiometer which is actually a bit larger than actual size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rs poten27.jpg (15.5 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by RedRide; 07-19-2009 at 02:43 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
RedRide

No comments? Good..... bad......or indifferent?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Thumbs up

There are some typo errors but otherwise a nice mod.
If you get a chance, add some pics of the shrinkwrapped connections
and the M/F connectors you spoke of....you know, for some of us here that
might not know what they are
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
RedRide

Well, if someone does not know what heatshrink tubing or M/F connectors are, they should not be attempting this mod IMO