Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
Need Help - Electrical (finding Power)

Ok Guys, this is what Im trying to do.

Im adding interior accent lighting to the Hatchback (AT/3dr). The Lights I got come standard with a 12v Car Plug, pretty standard.

What I want to do is Wire up 2 Additional 12v Plugs to the electrical, up underneath the Dash somewhere. The Plugs have a 12" Power, and 6" Ground Wires pre-attached.

The Plugs also came with a Clip/Splice for attaching the Power to an existing power line.

I -thought- when I started that I would be able to get at the currect 12v Outlets (Located under the instrument panel) power cord, and splice directly into that. But after much fidgiting and fightig with the panels, Im unable to get in there.

Does anyone know of a Location of a 12v Power line on the Driver and Passengers side Dash, that I could splice into to get Power to these outlets?

Pictures, would help... a lot. This is the 1st time I've ever actually worked on my own car, so Im a visual learner.

Thanks guys!

Ayka

(on second thought, does anyone know where I should ground these too as well?)
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I hope this can help you...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...service+manual
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Ayka

Hmm, Read through them, but I cant locate anything that would be able to point me to a specific spot.

Good to have though!

Anyone else ever done an Installation of the lights in the front of the Hatchback?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
try this
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=12v
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Ayka

Ok, Looked through both the Posts... still cant do it.

I looked up the Wiring Diagram, and it says W-B (White Black Wire), but is this the Positive, or the Ground?

I remember someone doing somthing similar to this recently, I should ask where he grounded his wires.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayka
Ok, Looked through both the Posts... still cant do it.

I looked up the Wiring Diagram, and it says W-B (White Black Wire), but is this the Positive, or the Ground?

I remember someone doing somthing similar to this recently, I should ask where he grounded his wires.
I'm having the same problem finding a switched and and "always hot" wire so i can power up my power locks and windows. I am getting a little frustrated and might have to pay someone to connect the electricals for me.
W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
See my answer here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=13

It's not perfect, but as you are not cutting any vehicle wiring, it shouldn't effect the warranty.

Use a tester to find a switched and constant fuse.

I hooked mine up to blanks in the fuse panel so I only put a fuse in the second space on the add-a-fuse.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Teruyume

Drives: 06 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to Teruyume
Go under ur driver side dash, behind the scan tool plug a bit upward, u will see a fuse box, there are some open fuse plug, u will be able to find full time 12V or ign on 12V. use a V meter ground it and try out those empty fuse if u read 12v than that's the full time 12V, to get the ign on 12V simply just turn ur key to on and see any those 0V spot got a 12V reading now ^_____^

hope this helps u, i got the ign ON 12V for my SC out of there too
GP Racing GR-6 15x7
Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R15
Tanabe DF210
JDM LED Tail lights
Teruyume is offline   Reply With Quote