Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
WankelsRevenge

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Changing auto trans fluid

My girlfriends 07 Yaris has about 87k miles and in talking the ohter day I asked if she ever had the tranny fluid changed. Apparently it hasnt so I was planning on getting it done. I did go out and have a look in the engine bay and for the life of me couldnt even find the dipstick for it. So basically what all Im asking is...
1. How often does this need to be done. and
2. Where is the damn dipstick?

I know in my dads old Chevy we did the tranny fluid about every 50k miles.
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I believe it's good to 100K. Then I wouldn't unless it smells burned or is not the cherry red color. To me, alot depends on how the car is driven and under what conditions. The dipstick is there under the airbox if the car hasn't been modded. Ck the owners manual if after a careful look see you still can't find it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Look in your owners manual but I believe there is no official requirement. My 1978 Chevy C10 I gave my brother in law had 350k miles on it with the same transmission and that oil was NEVER ahanged!

Now with the internet all kinds of experts say to change it. Swear on their mothers graves too.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Read this TSB from Toyota

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/TS-...luid%20%29.pdf
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
yeah.....again, everyone's got an opinion

all i can say AGAIN....is do what you feel comfortable with. if your'e concerned with the color/life of your fluid, then change it. it's not hard, it's not expensive and it will help with the life of your trans. HOWEVER...if you dont do it right you can kill your trans.

so, if it's dark, change it. you can drop the pan, top off and run and do it again. or, you can pull the cooler line and run it until it starts sputtering...shut off the car and top-off until it's full-OR-pull both lines and put the push into a dump tank and put the pull line into a fresh tank and run until it comes out red instead of black...

any way, whatever you do will be up to you. i say change it at 40k miles....BEFORE YOU EVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS...and change it every 40k miles and be done with it. fluid is only 8 bux a quart...that's like 60 bux every 40k miles. wow. i'll take 60 up the A$$ to save my car. but i'm a mechanic and i can fix my car when it breaks.

just sayin.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
bail_w

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
Just drain and refill 2-3 times.
bail_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Makes you think that the WS is a synthetic . Wonder how we could find that out ? . I still think you'd want to have it serviced ( drain , refill , filter ) at 100,000 , especially if you live in hilly terrain ( like us ) , slow moving traffic , extreme high temps , etc.. Seen a U.O.A. for the W.S. from a TOYOTA and the results weren't all that impressive . Will try to find it again .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Is'nt there a drain plug so you don't need to drop the pan?
How much fluid does the tranny hold?
What a bout the filter?
My old Saturn had a spin on tranny filter with a doughnut shaped magnet to catch debris too... So easy to change.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Trans holds 7 qts. You get about 2.5 out by draining from the plug, I am told.

When I dropped the pan to replace the filter it took 3 qts, 20 oz of fluid to fill it back up so I replaced almost exactly half of the fluid volume.

There are also two small magnets on the bottom of the pan which I cleaned.

I probably won't drop the pan to replace the filter again for a long time, I'll just do drain and fills via the plug every 15k. As severous1 states it is cheap and easy to do so I'll give it the TLC.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
severous01

if you unplug one of the lines to the trans from the cooler, and start the car....and shut it off when it starts to sputter fluid out. and then top it off with as much fluid that came out you 'should' be fine(assuming that you were good to begin with). a better way to do it would be to take both off, find out which is to and which is from cooler...put the to cooler line in a bucket, and put the from cooler line in a tank with new fluid. and then start the car and put in N or P and let it take all the fluid it needs. and that's about as close to 100% as you can get without rebuilding the trans
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
bail_w

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
if you unplug one of the lines to the trans from the cooler, and start the car....and shut it off when it starts to sputter fluid out. and then top it off with as much fluid that came out you 'should' be fine(assuming that you were good to begin with). a better way to do it would be to take both off, find out which is to and which is from cooler...put the to cooler line in a bucket, and put the from cooler line in a tank with new fluid. and then start the car and put in N or P and let it take all the fluid it needs. and that's about as close to 100% as you can get without rebuilding the trans

Highly not recommended doing that way.
bail_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
severous01

and i guess you have a reason why??? i've been doing it this way for about....mmm...maybe around 8 years or so. on toyota, GM, BMW, dodge/chrysler....even ford. i've changed the trans fluid on probably about 200 taurus models alone this way and never had a problem...probably saved a few befor the 36kmi trans failure issue

i'd like to hear why you think that MOC, Wynn's, GM, and soooo many other companies out there sell machines and DIY kits to change trans fluid in just such a manner as i described....and you think it's a bad idea to do it this way...

i just wanna know why YOU think it's a bad idea.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Just because it's often done this way doesn't mean it's the intended way to replace the fluid, hence not necessarily the best way. I do not know what the recommended way is. It is possible to imagine why doing it this way can be harmful to the transmission. Just like changing the engine oil through the oil cooler in the radiator.

Again, I do not know what the best way is, but you have to know the internals of the automatic transaxle to say that it is safe to do, and just the fact that it is done often is not enough (at least to convince me). I drive a 2010 Honda Fit MT anyway
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote