Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
mescalito2

Drives: Yaris 2007
Toyota Yaris handbrake does not work when cruise control is on

Hello there!
My Toyota Yaris 2007 handbrake does not work when cruise control is on.

Am I the only one with that problem?
thanks!
mescalito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
if you're driving along without cruise control (but with your foot on the gas), how well does it work then?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Why the hell would you want to use the hand brake while using cruise control???
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you are thinking that the handbrake should cancel cruise, like the foot brake does - It does not.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
lol x2
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
define "work"

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
I concur with Astroman : why the he'll would you want it to work?!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
mescalito2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
because I want to stop. A break is a break! it always should stop your car no matter what.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
lol x2
Handbrake + Cruise Control = Good Times!!

you guys are missing out!!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
mescalito2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
define "work"
frownonfun thanks for you reply. I think I expressed wrong myself. What I mean is: when the cruise control is on and then I use the handbrake the car indeed slows down because the brake works, but the cruise control does not deactivated, therefor the cruise control system detect that the car is slowing down and the engine increase the revolutions to keep the speed up (accelerates). The conclusion is that the handbrake works but the cruise control system tries to keep the speed up therefore the car accelerates even more when the handbrake is on and that is DANGEROUS.

Some people should ask "why don't u use the food brake", and yes of course that is normal... but imagine in case of an hard accident if you push down the "food brake" it will injure bad your foot (that happened to me in the past).

At the end a brake is a brake it should ALWAYS deactivate the cruise control system no matter what.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That's what I thought you were trying to say. The emergency brake is just that - an emergency mechanical backup to the hydraulic brakes. I would suspect that if you did some research, that very few if any cars with cruise have the e-brake as a tertiary cancel for the cruise control.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
What are you trying to do ? drift in snow? lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalito2 View Post
because I want to stop. A break is a break! it always should stop your car no matter what.
Might try using the brake instead!

And nothing personal here, but is this your first car? You shouldn't be using your handbrake for anything other than keeping the car in place when its parked or in an emergency when your hydraulic brakes have failed. It is not meant to normally slow or stop the car, and excessive use can make it inoperable if you ever really do need it in an emergency!

And I don't think it is abnormal for the handbrake to not disengage the cruise control. I will try it in my Jeep just to confirm that it is the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalito2 View Post
but imagine in case of an hard accident if you push down the "food brake" it will injure bad your foot (that happened to me in the past).
And I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about here. What's a food brake? Do you mean the brake pedal you depress with your foot? If so, are you trying to say that you've injured your foot and cannot push it down far enough to stop the car? If so, then you really shouldn't be driving in that impaired physical condition...
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
You shouldn't be using your handbrake for anything other than keeping the car in place when its parked or in an emergency when your hydraulic brakes have failed.
The popularity of racing games and certain unmentionable movies have created a generation of bad drivers.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
Yaross

Drives: 2006 Yaris HB 5DR
Sirs,

my opinion only, I think mescalito2 has brought an interesting point. we love our yaris so much that we should protect it from bad drivers.

i would really like sir CTScott to verify this, we can get a signal from the parking brake (hand brake / e-brake) switch and tap this to the clutch switch for M/T or park/neutral switch for A/T to cancel cruise control if engage.

you can check it out on the electric wiring diagram of the 2007 manual page 105.
Yaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
The parking brake does output some kind of signal, the light on your dash turns on when you raise the lever because it's pressing on a limit switch (probably grounding it or lifting a ground). you would need to tap into this wire, and then splice it onto the same line that comes off your "normal brake" that is going to the cruise module (for the purpose of canceling cruise). You would also want to put a diode in between the 2 of them so you don't back-feed the signal. grab a multi meter and check to see what the signal is - won't be a mod that i'll be doing any time soon.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaross View Post
Sirs,

my opinion only, I think mescalito2 has brought an interesting point. we love our yaris so much that we should protect it from bad drivers.

i would really like sir CTScott to verify this, we can get a signal from the parking brake (hand brake / e-brake) switch and tap this to the clutch switch for M/T or park/neutral switch for A/T to cancel cruise control if engage.

you can check it out on the electric wiring diagram of the 2007 manual page 105.
All you would have to do is to join the output of the e-brake switch with that of the brake switch. Still, I contest that it is the wrong thing to do. Cruise control can be canceled by hitting the stalk or by tapping the brake. Your right hand should be on the wheel, where it is in close proximity to the stalk, rather than over by the e-brake.

Pulling the e-brake while driving at cruising speed is ludicrous and is far more likely to result in a serious crash. If the OP has a physical impairment that prohibits he/she from using the brake pedal, he/she should have his/her car properly adapted with hand controls, rather than putting other drivers at risk.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
The popularity of racing games and certain unmentionable movies have created a generation of bad drivers.
An excellent observation, and one I need to think about considering I have a 13-yr-old who soon will be driving (and is already driving my Jeep offroad) and who is also a heavy gamer. However, luckily he has not shown any bad habits as the result of his video gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
All you would have to do is to join the output of the e-brake switch with that of the brake switch. Still, I contest that it is the wrong thing to do. Cruise control can be canceled by hitting the stalk or by tapping the brake. Your right hand should be on the wheel, where it is in close proximity to the stalk, rather than over by the e-brake.

Pulling the e-brake while driving at cruising speed is ludicrous and is far more likely to result in a serious crash. If the OP has a physical impairment that prohibits he/she from using the brake pedal, he/she should have his/her car properly adapted with hand controls, rather than putting other drivers at risk.
Also an excellent point, if the OP has physical limitations that impact his driving of his car, then he should have it properly modified so he can do so. I know a soldier who lost both legs in combat but still wheels a 5-speed Jeep. He built the devices himself, and it is very impressive!

Cheers! M2