Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Rear Bumper Reflectors

Installed reflectors on my Camry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc03032.jpg (205.1 KB, 73 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Nice job! These sort of basic safety features should be standard on every car today (along with side-mirror turn signals, etc.). I've noticed the visibility difference in my early morning dark commutes, when viewing other cars from the rear with and without bumper/rear reflectors, and that was what motivated me to do mine last year.

Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Yes, I was also really surprised how much more visible a car with rear bumper reflectors is when following behind. That's why I installed these. What I don't like about my Camry is the red turn signal lights, which are almost invisible compared to amber lights.

BTW, your car looks great!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Amber rear turn signals, rear bumper reflectors, and side (or mirror) turn signal repeaters should be mandatory in US. But the government won't make it happen, too reasonable to become law. What gets me is why the auto makers don't just make it a de facto standard themselves. These things are required in most places in the world. They are already building the majority of their cars with these features. Wouldn't it be simpler just to build ALL their cars the same way regardless of the market? There is no law AGAINST these features here. Are they really saving that much money by not including them? How much does an additional reflector that has already been designed and is in production really cost at that point? I'll take the hit. Add $20 to the price of the car and you're still making a profit. I really think this is an example of "because it's always been like this" as a substitute for reason.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ I agree 100%.

Interesting that Toyota, for example, makes "Toyota Safety Sense" standard on newer models; an "advanced safety system" considered to be "one of the most ambitious safety suites in the industry" but fails to include basics like rear amber turn signals, fender repeaters, and rear bumper reflectors as standard features on all cars.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Interesting that Toyota, for example, makes "Toyota Safety Sense" standard on newer models; an "advanced safety system" considered to be "one of the most ambitious safety suites in the industry" but fails to include basics like rear amber turn signals, fender repeaters, and rear bumper reflectors as standard features on all cars.
Yep safety is so important that they have to add a bunch of electronic nannies at considerable cost but can't spent the extra $5, literally, for a set of bumper reflectors. I don't get it.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

I don't want any of the electronic safety crapola... or the TPMS. I just want those 3 basics that make ME more visible on the road.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #8
Kalispel

I agree with both of you 100%. It absolutely boggles the mind why automakers make some of the market-specific decisions that they do.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
what are you people even talking about??? it is required by law to have red reflectors on the rear of the car. what difference does it make if they are on the tail lights or on the bumper? the higher up the reflector, the more visible it is over distance, eh? it is required that rear turn signals are red or amber. IT'S A FLASHING LIGHT. what difference does it make if it's red or amber? it is a requirement that indicators are visual from the side profile of the vehicle. what does it matter if it's in the mirror, on the fender, or a side indicator built into the front lamp?
i don't understand the complaints....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
kimona, love the look! i've been parking my yaris on the street now that the camry and echo are taking up the garage. i live on a curve and i'm already parking two wheels on the berm(sp?). where did you find them at? thanks!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

I bought the reflectors from Home Depot and simply cut them with scissors to the desired shape. I first made a template using red paper, experimenting with shapes and locations on the rear bumper.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillm...0370/202051763
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflector tape.jpg (63.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 AM   #12
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
wow! great work! thanks for the info. gives me another excuse to visit home depot!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
wow! great work! thanks for the info. gives me another excuse to visit home depot!
No problem.

Once you make some templates, stick them temporarily on the bumper in various places and take photos to get a better idea of the best shape and placement.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #14
heytim

Drives: 2014 Yaris
I did something similar with my old Neon. Bought similar reflectors from Canadian Tire and stuck them on the bumper. Though, that was moreso to cover up the bumper nicks scratches that the previous owner had.

I should have pictures of it somewhere...although it doesn't look as nicely integrated as you both!

PS I like your licence plate, Kalispel!
heytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytim View Post
PS I like your licence plate, Kalispel!
Thank you! When I first purchased my Yaris and got the vanity plate in 2015, I hadn't planned to rebadge it to Vitz RS. Now that I have, it seems sort of redundant, lol. Maybe I should have went with my second choice - the name of my 18-year-old cat (RYOKO, which was also available at the time).