Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
DeepRedCar

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.5L L4 DOHC 16V
Headlights question

Hi everyone, folks, I am about to install a set of alternative lights into my Yaris.
And I was wondering, if these are lights with tiny built-in LEDs, won't I have any problems with hyper flickering or something? Because I've read that these bulbs consume less oiwer, hense there will be extra power left, that may eliminate extra heat or produce those power jumps that cause flickering?
Maybe I will need an extra load resistor or something?
Also one more thing, where would you folks recommend wiring those LEDs to?
DeepRedCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
If you want LED headlight bulbs then either.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...ght-bulbs.html

or

http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/l.../micro-h4.html

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
DeepRedCar

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.5L L4 DOHC 16V
no, I was not talking about the bulbs, I wanted the assembly, something like this
https://www.carid.com/2011-toyota-ya...284629710.html
but for the 2-door Yaris...
DeepRedCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
oh those are terrible. The projector is just terrible, i had them.

If you just want the looks, then thats fine, but best is either go with those LED bulbs i linked to (good stuff), or do a retrofit. I've done all 3, those terrible depos / Vled bulb /retrofit.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
knobby bobby

Drives: 2015 Yaris Coupe
I tried the Cree LED Oslamp in my 2015 Yaris and yes there was some slight flickering. The LED headlights are very redundant. The LED lights I bought were 940 watt per pair and they had these motors like fans that would spin to cool down the lights which was not acceptable to me.
The alternator on the Yaris was stressed out from the load and when you switch from low to high beam the lights actually shuts of for a split second because it cant take the amount of power.
This is redundant because LED is low wattage and low voltage but the fans on the LED lights are
what puts such a heavy draw on the system. Yes there was a big improvement in visibility but it wont be at the expense of my alternator. These LED headlights need more R&D to be as efficient as the COB or or SMD LED which dont need motors to run the lights.

IMHO if you want a kick ass bling set of headlights get NOKYA. Get the Artic White 90/100 Halogens. 85 % bright white and 15% blue. They kick ass and will rival the LED headlights.

Last edited by knobby bobby; 12-31-2017 at 07:27 PM.
knobby bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby bobby View Post
I tried the Cree LED Oslamp in my 2015 Yaris and yes there was some slight flickering. The LED headlights are very redundant. The LED lights I bought were 940 watt per pair and they had these motors like fans that would spin to cool down the lights which was not acceptable to me.
The alternator on the Yaris was stressed out from the load and when you switch from low to high beam the lights actually shuts of for a split second because it cant take the amount of power.
This is redundant because LED is low wattage and low voltage but the fans on the LED lights are
what puts such a heavy draw on the system. Yes there was a big improvement in visibility but it wont be at the expense of my alternator. These LED headlights need more R&D to be as efficient as the COB or or SMD LED which dont need motors to run the lights.

IMHO if you want a kick ass bling set of headlights get NOKYA. Get the Artic White 90/100 Halogens. 85 % bright white and 15% blue. They kick ass and will rival the LED headlights.
Any usable amount of light output from LED will require additional cooling.

Not sure where you found 940w LED for the Yaris. This is crazy load on the stock wiring. Most what we use are 20-50w.
The fan only requires a minimum of power. Typically 0.10A or so at 12v.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
940 Watts is most likely not a true power figure. Many LED headlight globes are quoted as an equivalent to how many watts of halogen lighting would produce the same amount of light output. The ratings for high and low beam are also often added together to produce totally unrealistic figures.

Unfortunately, most of the "replacement" type globes don't produce the same light pattern as regular halogen globes, so a lot of the light output is wasted, or goes to annoying other drivers.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
knobby bobby

On another very important note. If you do install LED lights make absolutely sure that the led chips are dead center behind the round light deflector shield. If you see them on an angle poking off to the side you will dazzle oncoming traffic and if you are driving behind someone you will blind them. Its easy to make this mistake with the halogens too. The LED I was referring to I purchased on Ebay for 20.00 USD. Oslamp 70025728 S2-H4 CREE COB H4 HB2 9003.

It would be a gross generalization if I said all LED headlights flicker and draw too much power but I can only tell you what I experienced. Hopefully you wont have this problem.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
IllusionX

Holy smoke is that really 147000LM led kit?

The set I have looks exactly like yours but is 20000LM or 10000LM I don't remember. They are bright, but not blinding.

They make a much nicer cut off than my HID kit. Here is a comparison my 4300k HID vs 6000k LED.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
knobby bobby

If I was driving in front of you with that beam I would be blinded in my rear view. That is piercing.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #11
IllusionX

Perhaps you like very dim headlights. My headlights are properly adjusted and beam do not glare all over the place.

They look brighter than they are because LED's are mostly 6000k.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz

Re-aimed them after installing since when I put the headlight assembly back in, they some how got misaligned. But as you can see, they have the same cut-off as the halogen bulbs.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote