Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Badger

Drives: Yaris 1.33
Yaris Throttle over-revs changing up

My dealer says this is 'normal' but I drive 4 different cars at weekend and I've never seen this before. When changing up 1-2, 2-3 as soon as the clutch is depressed the engine over-revs, not every time but around 20% of gear changes. This happens both cold and hot and has done same in higher gears but not so frequent. I've tried various driving positions but it still happens. I've been VERY careful about releasing throttle to no avail - this did not happen during my 1 hour test drive (I'm going to visit dealer to try another demo car).

Mind you my dealer also says the stop-start system works by disengaging the flywheel!!!

Is this really 'normal' for a 2 month old Yaris? or is this 'normal' for dealers only
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Take your foot of the gas pedal sooner , thats why it does not do it on down shifts , because your right foot is on the brake .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I have had friends drive my yaris before. They often rev'ed it up on an up shift. (ie, 1-2, 2-3)

This had happened to me when i did the test drive before i bought my yaris, and also happened when i first got my yaris. At the time, i already knew about the drive-by-wire thing, so i adjusted my foot according to the response time of the throttle.

Driving different cars does not mean you are driving the yaris properly. Try lifting your foot off the throttle a fraction of a second earlier than you usually do as you depresse the clutch
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
My dealer says this is 'normal' but I drive 4 different cars at weekend and I've never seen this before. When changing up 1-2, 2-3 as soon as the clutch is depressed the engine over-revs, not every time but around 20% of gear changes. This happens both cold and hot and has done same in higher gears but not so frequent. I've tried various driving positions but it still happens. I've been VERY careful about releasing throttle to no avail - this did not happen during my 1 hour test drive (I'm going to visit dealer to try another demo car).

Mind you my dealer also says the stop-start system works by disengaging the flywheel!!!

Is this really 'normal' for a 2 month old Yaris? or is this 'normal' for dealers only
I see you're the only Yaris that's been affected by Toyota's "stuck gas pedal" recall

I had this rev problem until I decide to let off the gas completely a full second before shifting. Just take it slow and easy.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
I see you're the only Yaris that's been affected by Toyota's "stuck gas pedal" recall

I had this rev problem until I decide to let off the gas completely a full second before shifting. Just take it slow and easy.

+1, I can see why OP is wondering however. just takes getting used to.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I have the same problem with some over revving when shiftingthink it has something to do with fly by wire throttle i just live with it,suppose i could take my foot off the gas a few seconds before disengaging the clutch if i thought it was a big deal..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
yup, this just takes getting used to, I don't think it has anything to do with the fly by wire. I think it's just a small 4 banger thing from my experience (hyudai elantra did it before getting used to it), manual cars with bigger engines I've driven don't do it unless you are in too high of a gear and trying to accelerate.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Richie76

Drives: Toyota Yaris 07
I thought it was an emissions thing.. Our V8's over here with the fly by wire do the same thing... It's something to do with helping burning the excess fuel when lifting off the throttle..
Richie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Badger

Drives: Yaris 1.33
thanks to those who have responded, I've done some experiments. I can get over revving with no foot on throttle (just crash out of gear and push down on clutch to go up gear. it seems to be something in the ECU that's being kicked off when it senses a gear change

I'm not talking a 200 RPM increase, we're talking 500-1,000 RPM change. 200 is what I would call normal with my other young cars with similar technology. Most of my gear changes are at low revs, there is hardly any over -revving when changing gear at 4K or above. Richie76 may have nailed it with the emmisions thing, Another of my (2 year old) cars will flood if driven < 20 feet (like taking out of garage). It was explained to me that modern cars have a much more 'sealed' fuel system recycling unburnt vapours back into injectors/carbs rather than the old enging/exhaust/athmosphere system
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
09SedanPolarWhiteMT

Drives: 09 Sedan, White, 5-spd MT.
Happens to me too, I thought it was the weirdest thing in the world when I first noticed it. Is it because of the drive-by-wire or something?
09SedanPolarWhiteMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
kou

Drives: 08 lb
It happens to keep the revs up between shifts.be worried when it revs to 7000rpms by itself.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
mine never did that
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Mine never did it either.
In fact I never experience any problems with the DBW throttle.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hm. I have had the same problem, and both the DBW and the emission control explanations make sense to me. I truly hate the Yaris throttle, not only for the over-rev, but because the throttle is so damn light: on long trips it gives me shinsplints, even after 3+ years. If I thought I could put an honest spring in the system for throttle feel (my buddy's Echo comes to mind), I certainly would!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #15
xyntax

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan YX
have the same problem. just changed the oil pressure control valve.
xyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
I noticed the same thing when I went from Civics and Integras to Yaris.

I thought it's due to such an early version of the drive by wire, combined with the throttle response of an economy tuned engine.

I needed about 2000 km of driving to finally get a feel for the pedals. Realized mainly I was seated too close to the pedals. Backing off my seat allowed quicker clutch (dis)engagement, and lighter throttle manipulation.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
I think about making a video of me driving with mine, shifting fast is quite easy and it does not rev up at all.
It simply keeps up the RPM for a fraction of seconds, of course the engine revs up if the load is reduced (by disengaging) and the throttle angle stays the same :P
Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #18
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
dj92 is right. Would be nice if someone in a Yaris post one of those split-screen videos, showing stuff like pedalwork, steering, gauges and road.

Heck, with all these phone apps and tools, can't one even give acceleration and weight transfer readings?
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote