Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
5K miles and no service light

My dealer changed my oil at 2k (cracked oil pan) but I still expected a service light at 5k? Something wrong?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
nope, my understanding is that the service light comes on around every 4500 miles or so, in keeping with the 5000 oil change interval given by toyota. It was probably reset when your mechanic did the original work.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Likely the dealer went ahead and reset it. It comes on 5K miles after resetting.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
regal

yea he said he reset it
Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
cracked oil pan, how did that happen?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
regal

DBW+CLutCH+Electronic steering sent me hurling over the curb coming from a stop on a hill. I'm used to the cars quirks now and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There is no "electronic steering" on a Yaris. The steering wheel is connected directly to the wheels mechanically as on any car. It has electric power steering assist instead of a hydraulically pumped power steering unit. That's all. It helps you turn the wheels at low speed, as when parking. It is speed sensitive and cuts off at road driving speeds. Gives more road feel and precision of control than traditional power steering. There's no way a DBW throttle can hurl you into a curb, either. Gracelessly popping a clutch is of course another matter.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
There is no "electronic steering" on a Yaris. The steering wheel is connected directly to the wheels mechanically as on any car. It has electric power steering assist instead of a hydraulically pumped power steering unit. That's all. It helps you turn the wheels at low speed, as when parking. It is speed sensitive and cuts off at road driving speeds. Gives more road feel and precision of control than traditional power steering. There's no way a DBW throttle can hurl you into a curb, either. Gracelessly popping a clutch is of course another matter.
yeah... the 5sp doesn't even have the DBW issue at all... there is however a learning curve that goes with the clutch. It seems to drop rpms pretty quickly... thus non-experienced drivers may hit the gas really quick.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
You must have been riding in the car with him to know sooo much about his accident.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Right axle seal went out on mine at 25k under warranty. I asked if they would change the tranaxle fluid as I had 2 qts of Redline MT-90 ready to go. He didnt know and couldnt find out for some reason. Got the car back, drained the tranny fluid sure enough golden clear liquid. What a waste. I swear the service advisors know nothing about these cars. Anyway the synthetic oil made a BIG difference it goes into 1st now easily rolling to a stop and reverse does not grind. Off topic but it reminded me so I mentioned it.
And yes runing up curbs I imagine ruins oil pans you were lucky they replaced it for free. Stay away from curbs. Curbs and electronic steering are the devils work.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
regal

I've been driving manual 5 speeds for 25 years, on a hill from a stop this baby is a bitch to get the hang of but I got it down now. Seeing oil seeping out from under the car was a real eye opener.