Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
terminvz

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
anyone else have this door lock problem?

So I have the 3 door hatchback. On 2 of the doors already, the locks have become jammed sort of. Well, on my back hatch lock, the key goes in but doesn't turn to unlock so the hatch is basically stuck.

Then on the passenger side, the key will work to lock the door if its unlocked but it wont unlock the door. The driver side is fine, it will both lock and unlock. However, if that one messes up too, Im kinda locked out!

I tried using lubricant spray in the locks and that didnt seem to do anything. My next step might be getting a new key cut to see if it works better than my current key but not sure if that will help at all.

Finally another option is getting actuators installed and using power locks. That would work, but very expensive option.

Anyone else ever have this strange problem? This is the only car this has ever happened with for me.
terminvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminvz View Post
So I have the 3 door hatchback. On 2 of the doors already, the locks have become jammed sort of. Well, on my back hatch lock, the key goes in but doesn't turn to unlock so the hatch is basically stuck.

Then on the passenger side, the key will work to lock the door if its unlocked but it wont unlock the door. The driver side is fine, it will both lock and unlock. However, if that one messes up too, Im kinda locked out!

I tried using lubricant spray in the locks and that didnt seem to do anything. My next step might be getting a new key cut to see if it works better than my current key but not sure if that will help at all.

Finally another option is getting actuators installed and using power locks. That would work, but very expensive option.

Anyone else ever have this strange problem? This is the only car this has ever happened with for me.
People with similar issues found their key to be too worn. Do you have more than one key? If not, rather than copying the bad key, I would go to the dealer and have them cut one based on the original key ID for the car.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
terminvz

Yeah Scott I was thinking that too, especially since it appears to not be the original key, but a copy. That's all the guy who sold it to me gave me. Ok thanks buddy I'll try that.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
For the trunk when you turn the key is there resistance or does it turn pretty freely, On the lock mechanism there is a plastic piece that holds the rod in place that may have come or broke may not need an entire latch assembly for the door passenger door. Can you lock and unlock it using the tab on the door near the inner handle , it may be the same issue the rod has become disconnected from the latch mechanism.

I dont know the part number off hand for the plastic clip maybe ct scott can follow up for that one. But typically its about a 5 dollar part.

Looks something like this

Might be something you could check/repair yourself. There are several diys on the forum on how to remove the door.

edit - Sorry didnt fully read your post was looking at it from a smartphone i would try with a another key for the trunk, for your door does the key turn at all when you try to unlock it or does it feel jammed same as the rear trunk

Last edited by YarisSedan; 04-25-2013 at 03:05 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
terminvz

Got the new key cut and now all doors open, yay! The hatch hasn't opened in months. I'm about to install a stereo/sub so I felt I had to stop procrastinating because it would make it twice as hard without all the doors opening when I needed them to. Thanks guys