Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
While I wait patiently for the final parts to complete this project, please help me confirm the wiring. And btw, the reason I thought I was supposed to use pin 7 is because of the Micro Image Aftermarket Foglight Switch Diagram:

"6. Connect the modified aftermarket switch. You can choose to have the fogs only come on
with the low beams (OEM method).
a. For the fogs to only turn on with the low beams connect the outside red wire to pin 3
and the green wire next to it to pin 4 of Connector D4, which is the headlight stalk
connector
b. For the fogs to turn on with the parking lights, low beams or high beams connect the
outside red wire to pin 3 and the green wire next to it to pin 13 of Connector D4,
which is the headlight stalk connector
c. For the fogs to turn on anytime, even with the ignition off connect the outside red
wire to pin 3 and the green wire next to it to pin 7 of Connector D4, which is the
headlight stalk connector
"

Blue - Ground (for on/off switch)
------
Red- into D4 Pin 3
Black- Ground (foglights will work anytime, key in ignition or not)

I might end up cutting this harness up. I plan on putting the switch near the light stalk, so I won't need the length supplied to get to the OEM location near the e-brake lever. Plus, if I understand correctly, I don't need this cheap relay, anyway. (???)

BTW, I presume this uses the an OEM 15A fuse. Besides checking to confirm that I've got one according to the .pdf diagrams, does this mean I don't have to worry about installing an additional fuse? Someone on another thread was claiming that they had fried their relay and was worried that their eBay kit didn't have a fuse (I'm pretty certain he wasn't going through the Toyota OEM relay)

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Oh yeah - I actually wrote that. I forgot that I pointed it to pin 7, instead of the larger gauge ground wire. That is fine...

It will be fused by the OEM 15A FOG fuse. The reason for the burnt relays was due to wiring it up incorrectly. 15A of current can do quite a bit of damage before popping the fuse.

If you are going to put the switch by the stalk, instead of in the center console, you might just want to use an easier to mount switch, like the round rocker switch that I used for mine. In that case, you use none of the harness, but rather just wire the switch to pin 3 and pin 7.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Wow! Where'd you find the little round rocker switch?? That would be MUCH easier to mount than the huge, rectangular switch that came with it..and probably more durable.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris View Post
Wow! Where'd you find the little round rocker switch?? That would be MUCH easier to mount than the huge, rectangular switch that came with it..and probably more durable.
The switch came from Digikey.
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1909-ND/701301

It looks like they stopped carrying it though. I have a bunch of them though, so if you want one let me know. The switch has a red LED that I wired to the dimmer rheostat (which is right next to the switch, making it easy to wire to).
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I found a nice lil "mini round rocker switch" at Autozone: it looks just like yours. Thanks again for the offer, though. I really do appreciate your help, assistance, parts procurement, and courtesy, CTScott!!! I've been surfing around YarisWorld all night (I haven't really been on here since 2007), and I see SO MANY posts where you've helped people through SOL situations

I think tonight is the night on the foglights. I researched tap splices (you rock, CTScott!), and now I'm confident that I won't screw anything up, lol. Would you suggest tap splicing the power wire that goes into the under-the-hood fusebox to "Y" it to the pins (just like the tap splicing I'm doing to hook up the toggle switch to D4)? I can't promise that I'll take picture, since I'll be working at night, but we shall see what happens.

If I hadn't taken a week to get it all figured out, I bet I wouldn't appreciate the foglights like I will now. Nor would I have a better understanding of relays and how they can/are used in ways that make boolean recursion seem elementary.

Here is my running inventory so far:

*eBay Fog Light Kit (OEM style)
*Toyota OEM Relay (not necessary, but highly recommended)
*2 Pin Connectors (for Power wire to Fusebox)

*15A fuse (just in case there isn't one in the OEM foglight location)

*tap splices (Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors, to tap into D4)
*small toggle switch (not necessary)
*new 3500K H11 bulbs
*bulb connector grease
*soldering iron, electrical tape, epoxy (electrical encapsulation)
*small metal file and sandpaper (to make sure ground connections are solid)
*blue autobody masking tape (to cover edges of fenders, bumpers,
headlamps)
*gloves, paper towels, microfiber, Isopropyl alcohol
*assorted tools: 10 mm socket wrench, phillips screwdriver, _____, _______
*clear silicone epoxy (Just in case the cheap eBay foglights develop fog issues, it will be used to seal the edge of the lens AND the bulb socket)

****EDIT***
Check/Adjust Foglight alignment

I really hope I get this project done tonight. If everything goes smooth, I plan on starting an HID retrofit in the coming weeks. Something tells me it won't be as easy to retrofit the Yaris as it was my old Lexus GS..the fact that it's not already HID makes it an adventure.

BTW, do you know if Phillips/Lexus D2R bulbs are sought after like Phillips 81552 (#?) D2S Projector bulbs (best of the best)? I don't exactly see a lot of reflector-based HID headlamps nowadays. I've got a set of Phillips/Toyota/Lexus D2R bulbs Brand New in Box..trying to find someone in the know that can tell me if they're worth trying to sale or if I'd be wasting my time..lol. (As you can tell by my topic jumping, I'm really freakin' overwhelmed with life right now and I need sleep..lol)

g'night all....errrr..good day.

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 01-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I found a nice lil "mini round rocker switch" at Autozone: it looks just like yours. Thanks again for the offer, though. I really do appreciate your help, assistance, parts procurement, and courtesy, CTScott!!! I've been surfing around YarisWorld all night (I haven't really been on here since 2007), and I see SO MANY posts where you've helped people through SOL situations

I think tonight is the night on the foglights. I researched tap splices (you rock, CTScott!), and now I'm confident that I won't screw anything up, lol. Would you suggest tap splicing the power wire that goes into the under-the-hood fusebox to "Y" it to the pins (just like the tap splicing I'm doing to hook up the toggle switch to D4)? I can't promise that I'll take picture, since I'll be working at night, but we shall see what happens.

If I hadn't taken a week to get it all figured out, I bet I wouldn't appreciate the foglights like I will now. Nor would I have a better understanding of relays and how they can/are used in ways that make boolean recursion seem elementary.

Here is my running inventory so far:

*eBay Fog Light Kit (OEM style)
*Toyota OEM Relay (not necessary, but highly recommended)
*2 Pin Connectors (for Power wire to Fusebox)

*15A fuse (just in case there isn't one in the OEM foglight location)

*tap splices (Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors, to tap into D4)
*small toggle switch (not necessary)
*new 3500K H11 bulbs
*bulb connector grease
*soldering iron, electrical tape, epoxy (electrical encapsulation)
*small metal file and sandpaper (to make sure ground connections are solid)
*blue autobody masking tape (to cover edges of fenders, bumpers,
headlamps)
*gloves, paper towels, microfiber, Isopropyl alcohol
*assorted tools: 10 mm socket wrench, phillips screwdriver, _____, _______
*clear silicone epoxy (Just in case the cheap eBay foglights develop fog issues, it will be used to seal the edge of the lens AND the bulb socket)

*3M Professional Headlight Restoration Kit

I really hope I get this project done tonight. If everything goes smooth, I plan on starting an HID retrofit in the coming weeks. Something tells me it won't be as easy to retrofit the Yaris as it was my old Lexus GS..the fact that it's not already HID makes it an adventure.

BTW, do you know if Phillips/Lexus D2R bulbs are sought after like Phillips 81552 (#?) D2S Projector bulbs (best of the best)? I don't exactly see a lot of reflector-based HID headlamps nowadays. I've got a set of Phillips/Toyota/Lexus D2R bulbs Brand New in Box..trying to find someone in the know that can tell me if they're worth trying to sale or if I'd be wasting my time..lol. (As you can tell by my topic jumping, I'm really freakin' overwhelmed with life right now and I need sleep..lol)

g'night all....errrr..good day.

I'm not sure on the bulbs, but it looks like you have everything that you need. For the connection between the under hood harness and the two pins that go into the fuse box connector, you could use the tap splices or normally for an end to end connection you would use a butt splice (which is a round tube that you stick a wire in either end and then crimp).
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
yarisgirl100

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgirl100
I dont think iv been on here in atleast 2 years! lol Its good to be back! :)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisgirl100 View Post
I dont think iv been on here in atleast 2 years! lol Its good to be back! :)
Texas cuties in the house

Everything arrived today for the install. I just got out of work, now I'm heading out to the garage (too bad it's 20 miles from my house, lol) with camera in hand. If everything goes smooth, I'd be interested in finding another Yaris in the area to do the install on for a YouTube video. But, I should probably set my sights a bit lower for tonight :)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Mission Complete

I still need to aim them, but I might as well wait until my new bulbs arrive. I plan on applying a small ring of silicone epoxy around the bulb socket to hold them firmly in place...just in case.

I did take a couple of photos, but I just got home and haven't had a chance to check them out. Does YarisWorld have a picture archive that I may upload to, or must I use a third party like Flickr?

I would REALLY like to do this install on another Yaris. IF I get the chance, I'll attempt a full instructional with photos. For the time being, I'll atleast try to get a step-by-step write-up and compile links to all the YarisWorld resources that helped in the process.

HUGE THANKS to CTScott!!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #28
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I'm about to start going through photos now. I'll start a new thread for them to avoid confusion and to preserve any useful information here

The rocker switch that I used has 3 prongs. I didn't wire up the 3rd prong for the diode (LED) yet. But, when I do I will connect it to the Illumination wire (aka: rheostat, dimmer...a function with many names..lol), correct? The main reason I didn't do this was because I had been up all night and didn't want to get the other 2 wires mixed up and cause some type of damage. I'm assuming Illumination is next to Ground, so that the diode can make connection and provide light when Illumination goes positve. That means that the wire to Pin 3 is on the other end of the 3 prongs, and the on/off disconnects it from the other 2. I'll try to post up a little picture of the wiring diagram, since my lack of an electrician's vocabulary is probably very confusing.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm about to start going through photos now. I'll start a new thread for them to avoid confusion and to preserve any useful information here

The rocker switch that I used has 3 prongs. I didn't wire up the 3rd prong for the diode (LED) yet. But, when I do I will connect it to the Illumination wire (aka: rheostat, dimmer...a function with many names..lol), correct? The main reason I didn't do this was because I had been up all night and didn't want to get the other 2 wires mixed up and cause some type of damage. I'm assuming Illumination is next to Ground, so that the diode can make connection and provide light when Illumination goes positve. That means that the wire to Pin 3 is on the other end of the 3 prongs, and the on/off disconnects it from the other 2. I'll try to post up a little picture of the wiring diagram, since my lack of an electrician's vocabulary is probably very confusing.
If the switch is only a 3 terminal one then don't connect the illumination. For the way that the fog light circuit works the illumination and switching need to be separated. If you connect the illumination wire to the 3 terminal switch, you will then be bridging the fog light and illumination circuits, which you do not want to do.

The switch that I posted the link to above has the LED completely separate from the switch (i.e. There are 4 terminals - 2 for the switch and 2 for the LED). With that switch the switch contacts are part of the fog light circuit and the LED is a completely separate device on the illumination circuit.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Cool!! The fact that you had mentioned that was why I decided to leave it alone.
None of my pictures turned out very well. I re-read a few articles on nighttime automotive photography, and I'll give it another go tonight after I finsish polishing the car. Chris07LB would be proud, I'm finally using Turtle Wax Ice Polish
The 3500K bulbs I installed look really nice, but the lighting on a dry night is terrible compared to the untinted, white(ish) bulbs that the fog lights came with. Though, I'll save my criticism until I've had a chance to actually use them in the fog, and until I've confirmed that they're perfectly aimed. The amber should cut through the mist/fog better than white, due to the lack of the blue spectrum refracting off the moisture in the air. We shall see.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #31
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I'm still working on photos. The first 2 sets came out HORRENDOUS!!