Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Nitrous Oxide Systems, Yaris on the Bottle

Flammers, please keep out. I know there are probably 100 good reasons why we should keep away from the N2O.

But, OK seriously. I haven't seen many threads about Nitrous systems for the Yaris. I remember Chino Charles almost buying a dry kit for his car but that was about it.

I don't want to race the lil Yaris... this is my daily driver but every now and then I like to go out at night and just hit the gas of my car for some spirited driving. I'm not looking for a fast car but I know that just a little more punch at high RPM's would make those night rides much more fun. I can't afford a second car just to take it out occasionally and a $3000+ turbo kit is over my budget. I also don't have the time or the knowledge to put together a turbo set up by my self.

All that been said what we have left?? Nitrous Oxide!

I have done a little research over in Scion Life and I haven't really found scary stories about the 1NZFE on the bottle other than a supercharged XB with a 50+ shot that blowed the engine but after some serious abuse. Other than that there are many guys running both dry and wet kits with shots ranging from 25hp to 55hp on stock internals with out a problem.

I'm not thinking anything crazy, just a wet kit with a 35hp shot activated at wide-open throttle with all the safety features like the Traction Control Window Switch.

I will like to know what you think about it... I don't know much about N2O so please let me look if I'm missing something.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Flammers, please keep out. I know there are probably 100 good reasons why we should keep away from the N2O.

But, OK seriously. I haven't seen many threads about Nitrous systems for the Yaris. I remember Chino Charles almost buying a dry kit for his car but that was about it.

I don't want to race the lil Yaris... this is my daily driver but every now and then I like to go out at night and just hit the gas of my car for some spirited driving. I'm not looking for a fast car but I know that just a little more punch at high RPM's would make those night rides much more fun. I can't afford a second car just to take it out occasionally and a $3000+ turbo kit is over my budget. I also don't have the time or the knowledge to put together a turbo set up by my self.

All that been said what we have left?? Nitrous Oxide!

I have done a little research over in Scion Life and I haven't really found scary stories about the 1NZFE on the bottle other than a supercharged XB with a 50+ shot that blowed the engine but after some serious abuse. Other than that there are many guys running both dry and wet kits with shots ranging from 25hp to 55hp on stock internals with out a problem.

I'm not thinking anything crazy, just a wet kit with a 35hp shot activated at wide-open throttle with all the safety features like the Traction Control Window Switch.

I will like to know what you think about it... I don't know much about N2O so please let me look if I'm missing something.
I ponder'd doing it cause I have all brand new stuff sitting here to make a dry kit,I haven't done anything yet and don't plan to at this moment. Sounds like you already did your homework,and scionlife is the best place to do it. One of the reasons I didn' pursue it is because the throttle by wire. A throttle by wire n20 kit is pretty expensive,and If this car has torque managment programed into it,it will actually shut the throttle as it nears redline or when you bang a shift real good. You don' want the throttle to be closing will spraying. So I kinda lost interest till I can control the ecu.But yeah,if done right I think a 35shot would be totaly safe,id get it on the dyno to get a a/f reading though the very first time i sprayed it if I were to do it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Thanks for your input! Good info. So you think a Traction Control Window Switch like this one from ZEX http://www.zex.com/Products/NitrousA...uct_Code=82085
Wouldn't work with our drive by wire?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Motorhead6T5

That would control the rpm but not the throttle,need somthing like this "I think".

http://www.holley.com/15972NOS.asp
Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

That is $150 is not that bad...
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
That is $150 is not that bad...
No not really but its $150 more than I was planning to spend at the moment lol.

They have iridium plugs stock so you might want to switch out to some coppers.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
I ponder'd doing it cause I have all brand new stuff sitting here to make a dry kit,I haven't done anything yet and don't plan to at this moment. Sounds like you already did your homework,and scionlife is the best place to do it. One of the reasons I didn' pursue it is because the throttle by wire. A throttle by wire n20 kit is pretty expensive,and If this car has torque managment programed into it,it will actually shut the throttle as it nears redline or when you bang a shift real good. You don' want the throttle to be closing will spraying. So I kinda lost interest till I can control the ecu.But yeah,if done right I think a 35shot would be totaly safe,id get it on the dyno to get a a/f reading though the very first time i sprayed it if I were to do it.
A dry kit will not work with our cars. We have a returnless fuel system. SO there is no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail which is requiered on a dry kit.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
A dry kit will not work with our cars. We have a returnless fuel system. SO there is no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail which is requiered on a dry kit.
That's why I would go for a wet kit (If I end up doing it) as I mention in the first post.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Do a wet kit, it will work fine with anything under a 50 shot. Get or borrow a wideband to make sure everything is good when you spray.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Not true,not all dry kits use the reg to add fuel,some just use the maf and o2 sensors,its weather or not the ecu has enough correction to compensate. Zex is the only company I've seen that uses the reg to add fuel.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
This guy is running a dry system. This is the only Yaris I've seen running nitrous.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4491

That install is so ghetto I puke in my mouth a bit every time I look at this car, but I guess it gets the job done. It is definitely doable, but I wouldn't run much, and I'd spend the money on the rest of the goodies. I priced the complete ZEX system out on Ebay when I was dead set on it and it ended up being just a hair under $1000 for all the bells and whistles. Not a bad price if you ask me.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Maybe not ALL the bells and whistles are needed to be safe from a small wet shot. A Window Switch compatible with our drive by wire will make the kit IMHO relatively safe to use. The NOS switch is $150 and the rest of the kit can probably be sourced from Ebay for around $500. Other extra features can be added later...

I can't believe that only one person in here has installed a nitrous in his car...!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
A zex wet system would be reliable, the key is to get a pressure activated bottle heater as bottle pressure is critical to proper operation. Most of the new systems work ony at WOTto better protect the car. I would start with consevative jetting.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
project y

Drives: yaris
im running the zex dry system hade it for about a 6 month love it
im at a 47hp shot runs fine
just change plugs a spend a little more on 92or better gas
project y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Maybe not ALL the bells and whistles are needed to be safe from a small wet shot. A Window Switch compatible with our drive by wire will make the kit IMHO relatively safe to use. The NOS switch is $150 and the rest of the kit can probably be sourced from Ebay for around $500. Other extra features can be added later...

I can't believe that only one person in here has installed a nitrous in his car...!!!
It is beacuse you go from getting beat by minivans to getting beat by stock civics.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
It is beacuse you go from getting beat by minivans to getting beat by stock civics.
lol man thats so true....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #17
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by project y View Post
im running the zex dry system hade it for about a 6 month love it
im at a 47hp shot runs fine
just change plugs a spend a little more on 92or better gas
Where did you get the 47Hp jet? is it from ZEX?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Motorhead6T5

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...443+115+400114