Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
service engine light @ 9000 mi?

My little engine light came on tonight and the car stalled. I started again and drove 20 miles home with no problems. This seems strange as I only have 9,000 miles on her.
This is not the oil change light. Have there been any others with similar problems ? I hope the dealer can look at her tommorow.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Teruyume

Drives: 06 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to Teruyume
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandj
This is not the oil change light.
I don't think Yaris comes with a oil change light like honda civic's, if u change your oil when the light comes on it probably means your oil pressure is down too low, usually will be down to 1litre to trigger that light. Plus ur engine stalled when the light tripped, that means the ECU thinks your car is too danger to keep driving..........
GP Racing GR-6 15x7
Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R15
Tanabe DF210
JDM LED Tail lights
Teruyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
the maintnance light that flashes at the first oil change reminder? i belive the light is "maintnance required"

i just noitced that same light flashing the other day, and i am at about 9500 miles
looked in the manual, and corrasponding to that light it says "change engine oil"

i just changed my oil, less than 500 miles before, and no leaks or anyhting..im stumped
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
the light comes on every 500miles to remind you to change the oil, but it blinks for a bit at every 4500miles, and stays lit at 5000miles.

as for the first poster, just take it into the dealer they'll be able to check it out and find out what caused the light to come on
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Seems like only USDM Yarii get this oil change light, according to the service manuals...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Teruyume

Drives: 06 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to Teruyume
probably that's why............... CANADA is like a third world to Toyota...... we dont' get no nothing...............
GP Racing GR-6 15x7
Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R15
Tanabe DF210
JDM LED Tail lights
Teruyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruyume
probably that's why............... CANADA is like a third world to Toyota...... we dont' get no nothing...............
lol the grass is always greener...

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruyume
Hmmm quite the opposite, I think Toyota would get sued by countless americans whose engines died because they didn't change the oil, on the basis that the car didn't let them know they had to change the oil, I mean, it lets us know when to add more fuel, right?

Hence the "change the oil, dumbass" light. Just think "Caution, content is hot" warnings on hot coffee cups, and the like...

But that's just my theory.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
well like I said it was not the maintenence required light but the check engine light. It was a throttle position sensor and the dealer reset it today and said if it goes off again they would have to replace it. They just didn't know if somthing like cruise set it off or not as I wasn't there. We'll see, but my baby came thru ok.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
well, now this is going to be off topic, but i am going to get really annoyed, if that light goes off every 5k miles...

but good to hear she is doing ok there dandj ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
Hmmm quite the opposite, I think Toyota would get sued by countless americans whose engines died because they didn't change the oil, on the basis that the car didn't let them know they had to change the oil, I mean, it lets us know when to add more fuel, right?

Hence the "change the oil, dumbass" light. Just think "Caution, content is hot" warnings on hot coffee cups, and the like...

But that's just my theory.
We American's live in a sue happy country... I don't even know how many times I have seen court cases where a burgaler hurt himself while theiving someones house then sues the homeowner for huring himself.... Retarted country we live in... Oh and as of Sept 07 all vehicles in the US must have Tire pressure sensors, because most people are too lazy to get them checked at the local tire store....
Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #12
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I remember an american sued a chip company becuz the chips had too much oil/fat on it...............................................s he won
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Oh yeah.... I almost forgot about the family who sued McDonalds because they ate there 2-3 times a day... and for some unknown reason they were all excesively obease... Hell with my Business Management degree, I think I want to be a lawyer
Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
firefly1_0
What the...?

Drives: '06 Blazing Blue 3 door RS.
my check engine light came on after 15,000 Km's, roughly 9000 miles, turns out i needed a new timing chain, sprockets and a cam position sensor.

...and the engine is way smaller.

silly ricer, useless wings are for penguins...
firefly1_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #15
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I stalled the car once and the check engine stayed on but it went off after a while, my car was new at that time...
Old 11-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
If the car stalled and the SES light came on take it to the dealer and have them check the code.

Regardless if it's just the oil warning or not your engine should not stall... the light should just flash
Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
whitehotmr2

Drives: Yaris 2006 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly1_0 View Post
my check engine light came on after 15,000 Km's, roughly 9000 miles, turns out i needed a new timing chain, sprockets and a cam position sensor.
thats weird, I just had the same problem with my check engine light. They said it requires the same parts. Unfortunately they are on back order. Anyone know if this would cause problems if I keep driving this way?
whitehotmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #18
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehotmr2 View Post
thats weird, I just had the same problem with my check engine light. They said it requires the same parts. Unfortunately they are on back order. Anyone know if this would cause problems if I keep driving this way?
Please tell me you are both kidding around.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote