Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
DIY Hood Cylinder

Not wanting to infringe on the group buy for the same item, I'll start this thread(...thanks to the encouragement of Charles and Brick!)

Ordered the parts today:
MSC #: 00483743----------------$15.43----- 30# cyl w 7" stroke
MSC #: 32912198---2@.72-----$1.44------- ball stud
MSC #: 32912206---2@.24-----$0.48 -------retainer clip
total---------------------------------$17.35

They should be in Thursday, if so I'll have it installed that night. I plan to make a bracket off or the motor mount and another off the hood hinge mount, utilizing the existing bolts, so no drilling and simply a bolt on with no under the fender stud sticking thru to try to put a nut on. I ordered the 30# cylinder because I would rather have more rather than not enough pressure on the first try...I actually think the 20# would be the one but could actually be the 10#.

A post on the group buy thread mentioned cheap isn't always the best, and that may be true, but in this case I have to say these cylinders are every bit the quality that the group buy will be getting, if not from the same manufacturer. I believe this will be the chrome plated cylinder, but not certain because picture doesn't always match (but the cheaper ones show black). Did I mention the total price could be lower by about $3 if someone wanted to scrimp (buying the ends separate from the cylinder).

Congrats to the ones going with the group buy, I'd say they probably buying a good product, and anyone in the business has to make a profit (they're asking a fair price). I'm just offering some savings to the do-it-youselfers at the same quality level (minus the 10 hp sticker) because right now I'm not in the business.

If the parts come in, pics will be posted at least by Saturday....with no drilling or reaching in the fenderwell.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Hook it up!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I am not trying to be a dick and burst your bubble, but it will not work there... the cylinder is going to colapse befor the hood shuts fully... they tried that in that position you mentioned
Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I am not trying to be a dick and burst your bubble, but it will not work there... the cylinder is going to colapse befor the hood shuts fully... they tried that in that position you mentioned
I did mention that a bracket is required! Pics will be posted the day the parts come. Imagination is what I get paid for, not hard work.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Oh did they have brackets.... many many brackets.... Give it a shot Churp, worst that can happen is you have to exchange it for a different one...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
churp

Purchased brackets won't work....that's why I have to make one (actually 2 because I won't drill holes in a car unless absolutely needed). This is so simple from what I've done every day for the last 25 to 30 years, that I can't believe anyone would doubt this type of project. My only concern is the pressure of the gas spring, which will work , but may work better with less.

Have faith, theres millions of ways to do anything! Clean and functional are the main goals. There's no way I can improve function over something that works, I can sometimes improve ease of installation, and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder so some may like it,some not. We'll see in a couple days (just hope the parts come in). I really don't want to copy what is shown on the other post, so worst case if my brackets don't work I'll give these pieces to Brick (since he stated he was a little down on cash ) and he can mount them like the pictures of the group buy, all it looks like that's different is the plastic rod end down by the strut tower, about a dollar.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
churp

Black Yaris .....I apologize for the off topic on your thread. After rereading you 1st post there, realized how far off I was. I'll try to contain myself better.....
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

no hard feelings...
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
:: watching :: !!!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
yrsdrgn

What happened to the original Hood lift post from Black Yaris? I've been trying to find it with no results...............
Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
What happened to the original Hood lift post from Black Yaris? I've been trying to find it with no results...............
It is linked in his signature.

Churp, I'm watching and you have PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
yrsdrgn

haha I tried the link in his sig but it don't work...says it's invalid or something
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

they pulled the thread
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Gotta play by the rules kids.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
yrsdrgn

o. Sorry to hear that. I was hoping to see a vid of the original. Make a new thread in the Classified section!!! ^^ iono just an idea n once again sorry for interfering with your original thread
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Hey Black Yaris, In your signiture with the redline racing it says "Lift kit coming soon". I know that's for a hood lift, but it reminds me, I'm thinking about going rally style with some extra gound clearance and a nice skid plate/light combo.

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 06-20-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
churp

Don't have the parts yet but the prptotype brackets are made. Painted them silver to show better in the pic's...and these are prototypes with extra holes, etc. The lower bracket is made way too thick, 1/8" material will do. At least you get the idea with these pic's....top hood hinge bolt removed then used to mount the top bracket, there is a relief in the bracket so the 2nd hinge bolt does not need to be removed but the bracket is restrained from turning by the bolt head.....the front motor mount bolt is used to hold the bottom bracket, which rises between the washer fill neck and the air conditioning check/fill block. The angle of the cylinder with hood closed is slight enough to not apply upward pressure. Don't see any interference points and dimensions should work.

When the other parts arrive it should take less than 10 minutes to see if they work....then it will be making purty brackets without all the holes, and purtier pic's (not too purty tho because my camera's crap).

Edit: made a lower bracket out of 1/8" x 1" and it is too weak......1/4" x 1" like the prototype should be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bkt1.JPG (53.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg bkt2.JPG (91.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg bkt3.JPG (80.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg bkt5.JPG (69.8 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by churp; 06-22-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: change statement
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Look's like aluminum... Good work, can't wait to see the finished product.
Closed Thread