Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
How's the climate there? That may help us give you an answer.

Good job on public transportation!
Well its NJ. Typical Cold winters, Hot summers. Rain, Snow. Yeah. Right now it gets down to about 20-30 degrees at night, and anywhere from 30-40 during the day.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
If they are then they missed my friend's XD because it sure did use the oil until she got 8k or 9k miles on the car.

Even if they test run them the motors are still pretty green when you get them.
Yeah, I still babied the engine until the break-in period was done. Better to be safe than sorry.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
Well its NJ. Typical Cold winters, Hot summers. Rain, Snow. Yeah. Right now it gets down to about 20-30 degrees at night, and anywhere from 30-40 during the day.
hmmm, I say no on the long interval changes. Cold then hot can lead to condensation, which is not good when it mixes with the oil. Anyone else have an opinion based on these weather conditions?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Quote:
hmmm, I say no on the long interval changes. Cold then hot can lead to condensation, which is not good when it mixes with the oil. Anyone else have an opinion based on these weather conditions?
So does everyone think i can go 8 months without changing the oil?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
amsoil 25k change.. i believe this is what benz uses then.. coz their change oil schedule is every year..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
You'll have impurities until you bring the engine up to operating temp and drive it a while to do some good. That's why I suggested the mini road trip about once a week, then I'd still change it pretty often. Every 6-9 months?...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #25
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
The yaris holds 4 quarts of oil WITH a filter change. Mobil 1 is 7 bucks or less at wal mart. thats 28 bucks. Add a oil filter for 8 bucks and thats a grand total of 36 dollars for a mobil 1 synthetic oil and filter change. Someone is getting screwed. Use the mobil 1 extended and go 15k miles between changes. Buy the 5 qt jug for 23 bucks and save even more. If the motor does not reach full operating temps between start up and shut off, there could be some condensation buildup in the oil. When the oil gets hot, the moisture is evaporated out. Short trips = more frequent oil changes. If you let the motor warm up untill the light goes off before driving you will probably have NO problems at all.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
You'll have impurities until you bring the engine up to operating temp and drive it a while to do some good. That's why I suggested the mini road trip about once a week, then I'd still change it pretty often. Every 6-9 months?...
But wouldn't the condensation break apart the oil??? But yeah, seems logical that when in optimum temp, the water will evaporate.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #27
pandables

Drives: 2008 Absolutely Red S
I just got a flyer- Dealership oil change, filter, and good ole inspection for 23.99-

Not a bad deal at all really..

But I'd still rather do my own Don't even have to jack it if youre gonna be lazy
pandables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
You are WAY overthinking this. I use a good dino (non-synthetic) oil (Castrol, but some others are plenty good too) and change every 3K. Unless you are just too delicate, take the time to find out how to change the oil yourself, and you can do it for less than $20. You don't even need a jack to change the oil...

$60 for an oil change? Never. If you don't want to do it yourself, go to Jiffy Lube or some other franchise... you'll save half that. They, like the dealership, will still try to sell you crap you don't need... still better than the dealership, though.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #29
1stToyota

At around 8 miles a day it'd take him about 375 days to hit 3,000 miles; way too long under those conditions.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #30
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Valid point, 1stToyota. We have a 93 Sentra with less than 65K on it (2nd car - does not get driven very much). I change the oil about every 6 months on that one. No problems, no condensation or corrosion issues, no obsessive worrying. I worry more about the gas getting stale than the oil. Those that have the extra cash and just feel better about it can do what they want with synthetics and dealer oil changes, and I won't tell them they are wrong if it makes them happy. In 30+ years of driving I've never lost an engine due to oil problems, and I never worried or obsessed about it much. I've kept several cars until they had well over 200K on them, and sold them all in good running condition. All had dino oil, changed roughly every 3K miles, or every winter and summer if they were not driven much.

I've found it is easy to obsess about every little thing regarding a car or motorcycle. I've also found it is easier yet to just drive or ride the things, use common sense, and worry less.

Last edited by cfiimei; 03-01-2009 at 08:53 AM.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #31
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiimei View Post
Valid point, 1stToyota. We have a 93 Sentra with less than 65K on it (2nd car - does not get driven very much). I change the oil about every 6 months on that one. No problems, no condensation or corrosion issues, no obsessive worrying. I worry more about the gas getting stale than the oil. Those that have the extra cash and just feel better about it can do what they want with synthetics and dealer oil changes, and I won't tell them they are wrong if it makes them happy. In 30+ years of driving I've never lost an engine due to oil problems, and I never worried or obsessed about it much. I've kept several cars until they had well over 200K on them, and sold them all in good running condition. All had dino oil, changed roughly every 3K miles, or every winter and summer if they were not driven much.

I've found it is easy to obsess about every little thing regarding a car or motorcycle. I've also found it is easier yet to just drive or ride the things, use common sense, and worry less.
Under normal conditions it's easy to follow a regular maintenance schedule, taking 5-6 months to go 1,300 miles isn't the norm.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
If they are then they missed my friend's XD because it sure did use the oil until she got 8k or 9k miles on the car.

Even if they test run them the motors are still pretty green when you get them.
i was under the impression that they just built the engines with better machinery so tolerances were more exact these days so a shorter break in period is required.As for oil expiring ?hasnt it been in the ground for millions of years?which also makes me wonder why its so anti environmental to just dump old oil in a nearby field,wouldnt i just be putting it back where it came from?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #33
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As for oil expiring ?hasnt it been in the ground for millions of years?which also makes me wonder why its so anti environmental to just dump old oil in a nearby field,wouldnt i just be putting it back where it came from?
Just in case you are not joking:
1. Some reasons oil can expire are: oil specifications change over time, additive "fallout", heat/cold cycles, and contamination (i.e. dust, moisture etc.)
2. As a result of lubricating the engine the oil is carrying contaminants, combustion by-products, heavy metals, acids and other carcinogenic substances. Hence, it's not a good thing to be disposing of irresponsibly. It *might* enter the water table, or someone's drinking water, which isn't a good thing...

Now, I have no problem with using an oil that's 5 or so years old, as long as it met the specs for the engine and it didn't come out in clumps or have "stuff" at the bottom of the bottle...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #34
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i was under the impression that they just built the engines with better machinery so tolerances were more exact these days so a shorter break in period is required.As for oil expiring ?hasnt it been in the ground for millions of years?which also makes me wonder why its so anti environmental to just dump old oil in a nearby field,wouldnt i just be putting it back where it came from?
It's the short-trip driving that's bad on the oil's life, not a due date stamped on the bottom.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #35
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
60-70 is the going rate these days for any oil change. You'll find this out when the dealership starts send flyers out to you.
I paid $42 for an oil change, filter and tire rotation & balance. $60-$70 bucks would make me crawl under the car and do it myself.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #36
BaknBlak

Drives: Black '07 HB A
Change your oil every 6 months if you're low on miles. This was just told to me last week at a dealership. He shook his head when I rolled my Tacoma in on 4 flats with 1000 miles in 11 months. He said it was 3 months, then a year and now 6 months. My warranty's gone so it didn't bug me too much.
BaknBlak is offline   Reply With Quote