Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
What are your favorite non-Yaris alternatives, and why?

Just for fun and polling purposes, what are your favorite/preferred NON-Yaris alternatives, and why?

I'll start - from LOWER priced to HIGHER. These are the only cars I would probably consider buying next month+, if I couldn't get a 2015 white SE Yaris, or a quality, low-mileage, one-owner white 2009-2011 Yaris 4DR Hatchback or Sedan (White or Silver in Sedan).

2011-2013 Toyota Corolla L/LE (Manual/Automatic): Overall, the best looking Corolla generation and/or refresh, in my opinion. The S version is okay also, though a bit over-the-top considering the guts are exactly the same as the L/LE. Since I really don't like the somewhat dated rear "wing" spoilers on sedans anymore, I would have to replace the entire S-trim trunk to get rid of that bolted-on rear wing spoiler, and replace it with a more low-key flush lip trunk spoiler instead. Mandatory exterior add-ons would be fog lights, rear sway bar, aesthetically pleasing 17" alloys, and an exhaust tip. This would easily be the most practical non-Yaris "daily driver" commute car for me.

Mid/Late 2008 Civic Si Coupe (Only available in manual, w00t!): The "sweet spot" 9th generation Civic Si, before they switched to goofy looking alloys in 2009, and after they fixed the design flaw in the 6 speed manual that plagued a lot of 2006, 2007, and early 2008 Si's of both types (sedan/coupe). Once again though, I would have to replace the trunk to get rid of that CRAZY LOOKING bolted-on rear wing spoiler in favor of a nice lower-key trunk lip spoiler.

2012 Honda Civic Si (Only available in manual, w00t!): Coupe or Sedan are both fine, and 2012 is the only latest 10th generation Civic that looks decent, since it is before Honda ruined it with those horrible refreshed front bumper designs, those ridiculously over-the-top rear wing spoilers, and/or the awesomely bad alloy wheel designs.

2016 Scion iM (prefer Manual, but Automatic okay also): I really want to like this car, and do for the most part. The lower body kit is a bit "youth-oriented" for this 50-yea-old, but I like the overall look/proportions of the car. I'm still a bit on the fence about the strange front design of the vehicle - namely the seemingly upside-down headlights and lower front-bumper design. Everything else about the car is a overall though.

2012-2015 Acura ILX (Manual version): Built on the same platform as the Civic, it is basically just a higher-end Civic Si in more-conservative tuxedo sheetmetal. The 2016 refresh looks worse (IMO), and borrowed some of the worst design elements of the 2014-2015 Civic Coupe (Ughhh), and integrated them into the front/rear bumper design. The new LED headlights also look a lot more cheesy than the 2012-2015 ones.

How about you?

Last edited by Kalispel; 06-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote