Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
what is the stock tint on the yaris?

hey guys, im from MA, and the legal limit for tinting here is 35% all around. However, since there is already tint present in the stock windows, adding 35% tint would actually make it darker. does anybody know what % the stock tint is at and at what windows? secondly, given that information, what % aftermarket tint do you need to reach a 35% total tint? thanks!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I didn't know there was any tint that came stock.
Mine surely didn't come with tint.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
there is a tiny little tint with all toyota cars.

but anyhow... songa: i did 35% all around. the law here (in Quebec) says your window must allow 70% of LIGHT going through the window. That would probably result from a 30% tint. I'm still not legal technically.

What i'm trying to say is that... so cop really bothers when you have a light tint, such as 35% (i believe you would be closer to 40% tint when you do that.)

And btw, tell me how do you check the % of tint on your window. I believe most devices out there can only detect the % of light that can shine through.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by songa View Post
hey guys, im from MA, and the legal limit for tinting here is 35% all around. However, since there is already tint present in the stock windows, adding 35% tint would actually make it darker. does anybody know what % the stock tint is at and at what windows? secondly, given that information, what % aftermarket tint do you need to reach a 35% total tint? thanks!
Look up MR TINT in the telephone book. I had them do my car and the price and quality of their work were great

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

there's no tint on my car.
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
Are the tint percentages inverted over in the U.S./Canada? The reason I ask is IllusionX said that there must be 70% of light coming through, but he said it will be the result of a 30% tint.

But in Australia, the tint % seem to be the other way around.
If you have 70% tint (which would be very light), you're allowing 70% of the light through.
If you have 35% tint (which is the darkest legal), you're allowing 35% of the light through.
So, if you have 5% tint (which is almost black, and dangerous at night), you're allowing only 5% of the light through.

So just in other words, the smaller the % number, the darker the tint film is.

But yes, all Toyota cars have a very light tint inside the glass of the window. It is of a very light tint so it would cause a few % difference from the tint you apply. So e.g. if you applied a 35% tint film on, it'll turn out to be maybe 33-34%. But unless the cops around your area are very anal about a few % difference, I wouldn't worry about it.
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
PenquinZ111

Drives: RC yRs LB
factory windows should be like 70% already on it, or something like that
adding 35% will read 33%
i know for sure about adding 20% will read 17% i had it tint checked
PenquinZ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
I put 15% on mine. Nice and dark.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookz View Post
Are the tint percentages inverted over in the U.S./Canada? The reason I ask is IllusionX said that there must be 70% of light coming through, but he said it will be the result of a 30% tint.

But in Australia, the tint % seem to be the other way around.
If you have 70% tint (which would be very light), you're allowing 70% of the light through.
If you have 35% tint (which is the darkest legal), you're allowing 35% of the light through.
So, if you have 5% tint (which is almost black, and dangerous at night), you're allowing only 5% of the light through.

So just in other words, the smaller the % number, the darker the tint film is.

But yes, all Toyota cars have a very light tint inside the glass of the window. It is of a very light tint so it would cause a few % difference from the tint you apply. So e.g. if you applied a 35% tint film on, it'll turn out to be maybe 33-34%. But unless the cops around your area are very anal about a few % difference, I wouldn't worry about it.

i did make a mistake. 70% tint means ~70% light through...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I have 30% on my front windows and 15% on the rest. High dollar stuff looks really dark from the outside but fairly light from the inside which is nice at night I can still see what the car is behind me
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
What brand tint did you go with? Anyone had any experience with Johnson's line of tint film?
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
TheUnGroomed

Drives: 08 Meteorite LB
Send a message via AIM to TheUnGroomed
The guy who tinted my windows told me that the stock tint is probably around 97%, and using 35% would be less than legal.
Knowing that, I got 50% on the doors and 35% around the back. No problems from cops yet.
TheUnGroomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #13
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I don't know what brand but it's a ceramic type tint and has 40% heat reduction. My buddy did it on his Tundra first looks really good too. So $340 later I love the way my car looks red with almost black windows. I need to go take a pic of it and post it.
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
tomee

Drives: Yaris
i asked this at the dealer, and he said it comes standard with 5% tint
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote