Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #307
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Yes, I only have 3 local stops, so it's very quick.

It's hard enough having ONE car in NYC...I could not have 2 cars in this city. I do have to do the 'alternative-side-of-the-street-parking' dance, but (without boring you with the uninteresting details) I essentially have to move the car 3X a week, (in the evening, sometime between dinner and bedtime) and I'm on it like clockwork. I refuse to waste $65 on a parking ticket. The only time parking can be difficult is when they're filming Law & Order, or some other tv show or movie in my 'hood.

New York City is NOT a car-friendly city, but I could not imagine living anywhere else.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #308
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
I wish I could save up that kinda cash but it would take a while with all the other bills and food for the family.
Eating food and feeding your family is for pussies! lol

Starving FTW!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #309
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I'm going on a highway trip today but drove to work first. I noticed that when I drive the Fit in the city I am getting better MPGs that driving the exact same way in the Yaris in the city.

I got over 34MPGs on my way to work this morning and in my Yaris I get around 32MPG on the same daily trip driving the same way I always do. I think all things being equal, focusing on MPGs only, I think that the Fit will out do the Yaris. If you hypermiled a Fit, I think it would also outdo a Yaris being hypermiled.

I think my brother and I need to do a shootout on a long trip. I'll put my brother in my Fit since he weighs more. Fill up at the same gas pump and hit the highway on the way to Charlottesville, then turn around and take local roads on the way back and maybe drive some in the city together. Then fill up and compare actual MPGs.

Does anyone know of a better way to have a good objective comparison without doing any crazy stuff like Mythbusters does?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #310
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
you mean that you are going to switch drivers for the return trip, right?
this would be good not just because of weight difference but also driving styles.

sounds like it would be a decent comparison.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #311
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Do it. Very interesting and cool experiment. Looking to hear the results and your thoughts/opinions on it afterwards.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #312
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
I love the new Fit. It is far superior to the Yaris in either form. But, I have owned one Honda and three Toyotas. What does that tell you?

Honda's don't hold up over the long haul, 75K+. How they ever got this "indestructable" reputation is beyond me.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #313
vios7
Guy Next Door

Drives: Vios S Sedan
i saw new fit on the road..look a bit bigger than yaris LB.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #314
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vios7 View Post
i saw new fit on the road..look a bit bigger than yaris LB.
Ya it is. More hatch space.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #315
bobby

Insurance Institute For Highway Safety

I am thrilled to announce that the IIHS has named the 2009 Honda Phit a TOP SAFETY PICK. Seventy-two vehicles earn the Institute's TOP SAFETY PICK award for 2009, and the Phit is the only "mini-car" which has won this prestigious and important accolade.

Sadly, the Yaris fell short, and did not win. For 2010, Toyota should get crackin', and make sure the Yaris makes the grade. It would be better for sales, as well as--obviously, and most importantly--occupant protection.

Way to go Honda!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #316
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah if Toyota made more airbags standard it would probably have been right in there...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #317
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb

Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #318
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I think the extra $7,000 in my wallet adds padding that helps keep me safer.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #319
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
I think the extra $7,000 in my wallet adds padding that helps keep me safer.

That's good. Hope that helps you or a loved one in an accident. For me, I feel much better knowing I'm driving the safest car in its class. I feel that's worth a whole lot more than 7K in my pocket!

By the way, it isn't just the extra air bags which gave the Phit the highest rating. To win the IIHS's TOP SAFETY PICK a car must pass these criteria:

1. GOOD FRONTAL CRASHWORTHINESS, based on performance in a 40mph frontal crash test.

2. GOOD SIDE CRASHWORTHINESS, based on a test in which a vehicle's side is struck by a barrier going 31mph.

3. GOOD REAR CRASHWORTHINESS, based on head restratint geometry and test of seat/head restraint.

4. ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL, by helping drivers maintain control when vehicles otherwise might spin out.

The Phit Sport w/Navi passed these tests with flying colors, and I'm sorry to report that the Yaris failed. Not good, Toyota!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #320
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
. For me, I feel much better knowing I'm driving the safest car in its class.
Well, for perspective, just remember what kind of small cars were available 15 years ago or so. I had a 94 Hyundai Excel which was known for pushing the steering column into the driver's neck in a frontal crash. And virtually no small cars had any airbags at all.

So I doubt your multi-airbagged Fit is as giant a leap forward in safety from a plain jane Yaris than any modern small car is from one that's fifteen years old.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #321
33OH

You're right. I'm selling the Yaris to buy a tank. Thanks Bobby!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #322
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
even has JDM side mirrors, lol
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #323
33OH

Yeah they got a higher safety rating than the USDM ones. So I paid twice as much for them. Pretty sweet huh?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #324
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
There are so many variables in regards to crashes that as long as the crash test rating is more than "acceptable" you'll be doing as much as you can on that front. Crash test rating of .5 a star ahead of another subcompact according to government mandated crash testing isn't going to save you when that 18 wheeler loses control and smashes you into hamburger. It sounds like a great idea to buy a car planning to crash it, but don't let that rating lull you into a false sense of security.

Safety's important, but by no means is a MARGINALLY differing safety rating a deal maker or breaker.