Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
5 speed resale value

I live in a reasonably large city and none of the Toyota dealers want to allow me a decent trade on my 3 door L with 5 speed and 14 k miles. I was told that the market for manual transmission cars was very very small. I tried 5 dealers and it was the same at all of them, they just really don,t want a manual trans. trade offers were only 7 to 9 k $ for my mint 2011 with 14000 miles on it
I need an automatic because of a bad knee.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That's the nature of trading in. Dealer is going to want to try and make $3K on the car, so with what you are being offered, dealer is looking to resell at a more reasonable market valuation of $10-12K. Also true that they really don't want manuals sitting in inventory.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
And don't think CarMax is any better with their "no haggle" policy! Had a friend who wanted to buy a truck from them and offered to trade in his 2005 VW Jetta 2.5; they offered him a mere $6900 for a car they would obviously turn around and sell at $11,500.

I ended up buying it for my son at what they offered him for it! He figured he'd rather give a friend the deal than CarMax!

Sorry to hear about your needed an automatic, I've come to the opinion that they're much better to drive hence all of our three cars are autos. Desire for manuals is really fading, Toyota isn't selling many of them these days and with advances in technology, the autos deliver just as good gas mileage and certain transmissions like the 6-speed in my son's Jetta not only have shift gates but also a sport mode making them as fun to drive as a straight manual!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Dealers do indeed make most of there money selling used cars and through the service department. New car sales, especially these days with everyone knowing invoice, don't generate much profit, sometimes nothing at all. You're always going to get scewed on a trade in.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
What you could do is try to find someone with an automatic and swap.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
Smile

I also have a Honda Civic automatic so I have good transportation but I really though I could get more out of my yaris on trade. I was just surprised that manual transmissions are so unpopular with dealers.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3 View Post
I was just surprised that manual transmissions are so unpopular with dealers.
Considering that 95% of the market is automatic transmissions, it's no wonder that they don't want a car on the lot that 95% won't even look at because of transmission alone.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
henrylee

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan Red Power pkg
Its b/c everyone is too lazy to drive stick. Personally I love them. Too bad my yaris is not.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38682
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

Me! Me! I will swap!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

Me! Me! I will swap!

I did the same thing four years ago for health problems: went to an auto.

But now I learned how to adapt to a manual and want one again.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
If you can wait for $5/gal gas then demand for an efficient stick shift should go up.

I got my 08 LB (stick) used for $10,999 in 2010 when gas was ~$3.09/gal. Drove 50k miles and sold it back to Carmax in 2012 for $8,600 when gas was ~$4.50/gal. No haggling at all.

Supply and demand...
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It's dealer BS. The fact is, they can sell a manual and the KBB price is not that much different when you factor in the overall price.
Also, manuals are not that common and the dealer can not get enough of them as they have to take whatever Toyota gives them. They actually would be happy to get one in good condition. The little "secrete" they do not want you to know is, new car dealers make a higher profit selling a used car than a new one. They will also low ball the trade in price and hi ball the resale price. It a win- win situation for them.

When I got mine (purchased new), the salesman actually tried to talk me out of a manual......it was the only one he had. He even tried to convince me that no one wants a manual. This is after I clearly told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted a manual and an auto was out of the question . He obviously wanted to save the manual for someone who positively did not want an auto but, that person turned out to be me.
I should add that I drove up to the dealer in my manual Celica which he was familiar with and he knew it was not to be a trade in.

So, they use that "Nobody wants a manual" BS in any situation where it would benefit them....... either buying or selling.
Then, when someone comes in and asks for a used manual, they will do a complete 180 and tell them to grab it quick because they are rare and many people want one. They use the same BS tactic with any option or color saying it is either in demand or not depending what side of the transaction fence they are on.

Remember, it's always a buyers market for a new car so don't fall for that BS!
They have to convince you to buy a car... you do not have to convince them to sell it to you.
Don't forget that car salesmen are on the rock bottom of the dishonest professions totem.

So, Just walk out and wait for them to call you......and they definitely will.
Don't forget that what is important is the final price of the new car after a trade in is factored
You got a low trade in quote? Just demand a lower price for the new car.

Things at a dealer are stacked against the buyer and you have to beat them at their own game by putting them on the defensive.

I had one new car salesmen tell me years ago that he won some and lost some but, he made money on all.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-05-2013 at 05:28 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I sold my 5speed yaris in 2 days privately ....and it didn't have a/c, power locks, power windows, etc
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Its b/c everyone is too lazy to drive stick.
Unfortunately, I agree. It's not the only reason, by any means, but (IMO) it edges out any other reason.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Me! Me! I will swap!

I did the same thing four years ago for health problems: went to an auto.

But now I learned how to adapt to a manual and want one again.
Good for you!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

If the French built Yaris turns out to be a dud re reliability, I have a feeling I will eventually buy another Toyota model and also keep my Yaris.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
It's dealer BS. The fact is, they can sell a manual and the KBB price is not that much different when you factor in the overall price.
Also, manuals are not that common and the dealer can not get enough of them as they have to take whatever Toyota gives them. They actually would be happy to get one in good condition. The little "secrete" they do not want you to know is, new car dealers make a higher profit selling a used car than a new one. They will also low ball the trade in price and hi ball the resale price. It a win- win situation for them.

When I got mine (purchased new), the salesman actually tried to talk me out of a manual......it was the only one he had. He even tried to convince me that no one wants a manual. This is after I clearly told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted a manual and an auto was out of the question . He obviously wanted to save the manual for someone who positively did not want an auto but, that person turned out to be me.
I should add that I drove up to the dealer in my manual Celica which he was familiar with and he knew it was not to be a trade in.

So, they use that "Nobody wants a manual" BS in any situation where it would benefit them....... either buying or selling.
Then, when someone comes in and asks for a used manual, they will do a complete 180 and tell them to grab it quick because they are rare and many people want one. They use the same BS tactic with any option or color saying it is either in demand or not depending what side of the transaction fence they are on.

Remember, it's always a buyers market for a new car so don't fall for that BS!
They have to convince you to buy a car... you do not have to convince them to sell it to you.
Don't forget that car salesmen are on the rock bottom of the dishonest professions totem.

So, Just walk out and wait for them to call you......and they definitely will.
Don't forget that what is important is the final price of the new car after a trade in is factored
You got a low trade in quote? Just demand a lower price for the new car.

Things at a dealer are stacked against the buyer and you have to beat them at their own game by putting them on the defensive.

I had one new car salesmen tell me years ago that he won some and lost some but, he made money on all.
Kudos to you for liking manuals as much as I do. Much of your post makes me laugh because it's true (What is that old saying, there's nothing funnier than the truth?) There are exceptions though. I used to belong to a club where one of the older members owned a used car lot. He'd owned it for many years and was well known in the community (he passed away fairly recently). His niche was customer satisfaction above all else. He was a jack-of-all-trades re car knowledge. For the cars he kept on the lot, he did his best to make sure they were in tip top shape before he sold them. On a case by case basis he'd likely fix any early problems at no cost. It was not unheard of for him to take cars back if the customer was unhappy. He didn't do much advertising either. Lots of word of mouth. Probably 1 out of 4 people in our club had purchased a car from him and he didn't even have to try to sell to them. I did buy a car while we were both members, but it was a new one (so not from him). When he died, I think he'd been in business for over 30 years and had been married to the same woman for more than 30 years.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
MattS.

Drives: 2011 Yaris 5 dr LB
I would likely swap you too for my 2011 auto. Maybe chat with Bronsin and see how to adapt, and hold on to that baby. Don't let those a-holes screw you!
MattS. is offline   Reply With Quote