Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Where is my gas going?

When I bought this car I was averaging around 40mpg. Thats great maybe almost worth the WRX trade in. I did some small mods, lowered, light wide wheels with a tire comparable in height to the stock ones, the TRD exhaust, and a K&N drop in. Reset the ECU and now I'm getting around 30mpgs. It never gets driven hard because its a Yaris, I'd still get there late lol. I also did the break in, and the 1500 and 3000 mile oil changes. I'm running 5-30 oil and 87 octane like Toyota suggests. Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
probably all those "power" mods you've been blowing your money on

in all seriousness, it's the wide tires that are doing it.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

youre kidding me really? when I was on the advans I was running the same tires and still getting around 40! too much rolling resistance?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
wide tires hurts the mpgs for sure.

im running 205's and im down a couple mpg's
Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Tamago

yes, and those silly "power" mods are doing it too. what's your AFR's looking like?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

I have no clue to be honest. I didnt buy either of them for power. I just didnt want to ghetto the car up with a big tach so I put an exhaust on it to hear it. Im not used to quiet cars like this. My old Subaru used to set off car alarms. and the K&N I thought would help MPGs get better.

BTW Barber I am running 205 50 15s on 15x7.5s, I guess the footprint is rather large for a car this size. This pretains to nothin but with a half tank of gas and me in it my car weighs 2520. I thought that was cool.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
My guess would be the tires: wide tires eat gasoline, simple as that. Colder weather doesn't help. I've used K&N filters, to the detriment of fuel mileage. I don't think the exhaust system change helps much either.

Anything you do to increase performance (acceleration) is going to show up on your pump bills. Performance means ALL PHASES of the car, not just acceleration, and includes fuel economy. The Yaris seems to be a very tightly-balanced car, and changes are likely to upset that balance...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post
I have no clue to be honest. I didnt buy either of them for power.
you didn't buy them for better fuel economy either ;)

oh, and if you're lowered, you've created a great deal of toe-in at the rear of your car. this is another cause of bad fuel economy. get that rear toe fixed
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
you didn't buy them for better fuel economy either ;)

oh, and if you're lowered, you've created a great deal of toe-in at the rear of your car. this is another cause of bad fuel economy. get that rear toe fixed
and thats the only 2 reasons?? I think not.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Coming from a WRX and with all the mods you've put on the car i'm suspecting your idea of easy driving is whats netting you 30mpg,i'll bet if my idea of easy driving were put to your car you'd be back up to 40+mpg.Doesnt take much to ruin a good mpg result on a tank of gas.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Use a digital gauge and check the tire pressure. With a wide low profile tire you might not even notice it being toward the low side. Try it for a week with 32psi (if not already there), and then a second week at something closer to the max sidewall rating.

Consider an ecometer or scangauge II. You don't think you are driving hard, but the near instant feedback may tell you otherwise. With some practice you can get used to coasting with the terain along your route and see your trip average Mpgs start going back up.

Also as the weather gets cooler you will drop a couple Mpg. Look at your route and see if you can find a way to be on the side roads a few extra minutes before hitting the freeway in the morning. For the winter consider blocking the lower grille below the bumper.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
and thats the only 2 reasons?? I think not.
english lesson time. i said "another" not "the only other"
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
Use a digital gauge and check the tire pressure. With a wide low profile tire you might not even notice it being toward the low side. Try it for a week with 32psi (if not already there), and then a second week at something closer to the max sidewall rating.

Consider an ecometer or scangauge II. You don't think you are driving hard, but the near instant feedback may tell you otherwise. With some practice you can get used to coasting with the terain along your route and see your trip average Mpgs start going back up.

Also as the weather gets cooler you will drop a couple Mpg. Look at your route and see if you can find a way to be on the side roads a few extra minutes before hitting the freeway in the morning. For the winter consider blocking the lower grille below the bumper.
I actually have them set currently at 32 psi, using my very expensive gauge at work. (I'm a mechanic) I tried closer to 40 and it made the car a little too rough. I used to run 45 in my Subaru but it wasnt as uncomfortable as this car is at that PSI. I have to admit I dont do much coasting because my drive consists of mostly hilly windy backroads. And when you get off the throttle it takes forever to get back to 45. I equate this car to a small motor with a large turbo at very very low boost lol. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something wrong with this car. Our Motis at work cannot connect to my car so I cant see fuel trims. is there any software for our cars?

Subarus use a program called open ECU where all you need is the free software, a Tactrix cable and a laptop to see everything and tune. My tuner used it reliably to tune my car at 21psi with 565cc injectors and still keep the IDC at around 75% and optimal AFRs.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Tamago

yes, it's called a scangauge. already mentioned in this thread. ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I'm running 215/45-15 Toyos and can still net 40 mpg regularly around town and 44+ on the highway.

My guess is the OP's problem is that he's made significant "sound" mods. A car that SOUNDS good inspires the driver to drive it such that it can be heard.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Tamago

Loren! good to have you back!
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
It never gets driven hard because its a Yaris, ?

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
I actually have them set currently at 32 psi, using my very expensive gauge at work. (I'm a mechanic) I tried closer to 40 and it made the car a little too rough. I used to run 45 in my Subaru but it wasnt as uncomfortable as this car is at that PSI. I have to admit I dont do much coasting because my drive consists of mostly hilly windy backroads. And when you get off the throttle it takes forever to get back to 45. I equate this car to a small motor with a large turbo at very very low boost lol. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something wrong with this car. Our Motis at work cannot connect to my car so I cant see fuel trims. is there any software for our cars?

Subarus use a program called open ECU where all you need is the free software, a Tactrix cable and a laptop to see everything and tune. My tuner used it reliably to tune my car at 21psi with 565cc injectors and still keep the IDC at around 75% and optimal AFRs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
yes, it's called a scangauge. already mentioned in this thread. ;)
Or a Genisys

Just hooked mine up a few minutes ago for fun; full datastream info for my engine, etc...and my tires ranged from 68-70 degrees, 33.4-33.7 psi

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote