Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #307
Minus8

Drives: Yaris mk2
I have 1.4 d4d 6 speed and go to work at 80-90 km\h and make some city and highway. Fuel consumption 3.9 L\100 in Summer and 4.2 L\100 in winter ��
Minus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #308
GibbsYaris07

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
As far as my MPG, since I use this vehicle for 4-6 hour work commutes and travel, I avg. 36-37 mpg driving in hilly/mountain terrain (75-78 mph). I believe I could hit 40 mpg on flatter roads, driving lower speeds. With that said, I'm happy with my performance but always looking to increase mpg. I'm planning on changing the spark plugs and cleaning the fuel injectors. Maybe that will increase my gas mileage.

2010 Toyota Tacoma (my second vehicle)
GibbsYaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #309
richardsimmons

Drives: '09 Yaris Hatchback
My average MPG is between 28 and 32, with a constant mix of city, hills, and highway miles.

The lowest I have ever gotten is 21, and the best I ever get is 36.

This is in Northern California.
richardsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #310
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
Winter just began in Germany. I usually get around 35 mpg in the summer. In the winter I get around 31. There is lots of city driving in my mix thought. Like 90%.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #311
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Went from 34mpg mostly highway to 28-30mpg mainly city driving. 34mpg was with 12 mile one way routes and 28-30mpg is with 5-6 mile one way routes. I had purchased some Denso spark plugs off ebay a couple years ago when I also changed my route, so I'm not sure if it's done anything to my mpg since I recently read that many spark plugs on ebay are actually counterfeit. I'll need to put my old ones back in and see if there's a difference in mpg.

However, driving like a granny from San Francisco to Los Angeles (400+ miles), I'm able to get 40+ mpg. Keep in mind that this includes drafting behind as many trucks as I can find and filling all my tires to above 40 psi with zero braking. Consistent 50-55mph on the freeway. If I drive normally from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I'd get about 30-35mpg (65-75mph). Not sure if there's something wrong with my car as it seems that my car is doing 20-40% worst than everyone else in this forum...
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #312
jared8783
I've made a post!

Drives: 2015 Base Manual Yaris
I haven't read all 18 pages. And I'm aware I'm not the first to address this.

I'm shocked that a sticky in the OP encourages people practice not only dangerous (as pointed out) but a costly method of raising mpg. Over inflation of tires. NEVER inflate your tires to what the side wall says. Your tire is designed to fit multiple vehicles with varying air pressures. The sidewall is simply the max the tire can handle. Inside the driver door jam it tells you what Toyota says your tire pressure NEEDS to be. Shockingly, the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the car.

I've spent 2 years as a tire tech before I was 21.

Not only as someone said there is higher risk of separation. But if you over inflate your tires you are GUARANTEED to wear out your expensive tires prematurely. Since you are putting most of the rolling pressure on the center area of the tread your tires center will go bald fast. Is saving a few bucks at the pump worth spending hundreds more on your tires? Economically it doesn't make sense. And we love better mpg cause of monies. So this just doesn't make sense.

Safety. Since you aren't putting even pressure on your tires footprint you are drastically reducing traction. Your stopping distance is increased. Which may just be the difference between a near miss or a fatal accident in an emergency. Once again, I'd like to point out that the engineers at Toyota knew what they were doing. Shockingly.

If you do want to ignore all the economical and safety reasons not to over inflate your tires here is one more thing to keep in mind. It improves mpg by reducing rolling resistance. Which ONLY in the city. This has been studied. Somewhere between 30-40 mph rolling resistance has a negligible effect on mpg and the only resistance that matters air resistance.

On that note I'd like to encourage forum mods to alter the OP to no longer encourage drivers to practice dangerous and expensive methods just to save a few bucks in the short term.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a940/4199963/
jared8783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:26 AM   #313
richardsimmons

Drives: '09 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
Went from 34mpg mostly highway to 28-30mpg mainly city driving. 34mpg was with 12 mile one way routes and 28-30mpg is with 5-6 mile one way routes. I had purchased some Denso spark plugs off ebay a couple years ago when I also changed my route, so I'm not sure if it's done anything to my mpg since I recently read that many spark plugs on ebay are actually counterfeit. I'll need to put my old ones back in and see if there's a difference in mpg.

However, driving like a granny from San Francisco to Los Angeles (400+ miles), I'm able to get 40+ mpg. Keep in mind that this includes drafting behind as many trucks as I can find and filling all my tires to above 40 psi with zero braking. Consistent 50-55mph on the freeway. If I drive normally from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I'd get about 30-35mpg (65-75mph). Not sure if there's something wrong with my car as it seems that my car is doing 20-40% worst than everyone else in this forum...
Greetings from SF! We have similar driving habits, it seems. I probably do ~ 60% of my driving city (SF) & ~ 40% highway.

The worst tank I ever had was 21 MPG, while driving for Lyft in SF, in the winter. (Hope I never hafta go back to that side-gig!)

The best tank: 37 MPG, en route to either LA or Joshua Tree. I was happy as a pig in shit. Also: I drive between 65 & 80 MPH on the highway.

Although I do a mix of driving, I usually average 27 in SF, & 33 highway.

I'd call it ~ 30 MPG overall.

No clue how these lucky bastards on the forum are **averaging** 42 MPG haha!
richardsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #314
Kormorant
I've made a post!

Drives: 2006 1.3 T-Spirit
Hello all, this is my first post. I'm about to but a 1.3 hatch t-spirit. I have experience of the Yaris. I like them a lot but I like all Japanese machines. Having just glimpsed through this thread, I'd thought I'd tell you of an experience I has with a former car, a Ford Mondeo 1.8 diesel (manual transmission). This is a euro car, not the one sold in the USA with the same name.

When I bought it, it became apparent that the dual-mass flywheel was giving up the ghost (with a mere 50,000 - not impressed). The reason why seemed clear - the 1.8 litre engine was a gutless POS and needed a big boot to get anywhere, and the drag starts had killed the flywheel. So did I change the car? No, I changed the flywheel. Obviously.

I drove the car within its limits for another 300,000 miles - painful, boring miles - but my sedate careful pace returned easily 60mpg on the motorway and easily 50mpg around town.

The car eventually expired at 350,000 miles when something called a 'wet belt' snapped (similar to a cam belt but since it ran in an oil bath Ford decided it didn't need maintenance and thus didn't mention it in the service list - curse them). The clutch and flywheel were still good.

I checked tyre pressured when I thought of it. I kept the boot (trunk) mostly clear of junk. I made nice smooth gear changes and didn't rev the tits off it - no point, it had nothing to give - and tried to anticipate braking. I drove everywhere and in all conditions.

Conclusion - your right foot is the biggest factor in achieving high fuel economy. For some this is a an unacceptable truth. Even 30 mph is a lot faster than walking, folks. Also, auto transmissions suck up power and use more fuel than their manual shift equivalent and are used chiefly by lazy witless idiots who can't drive properly.
Kormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:25 AM   #315
HDS

Drives: 2007 Yaris, 1991 Trans Am GTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus8 View Post
I have 1.4 d4d 6 speed and go to work at 80-90 km\h and make some city and highway. Fuel consumption 3.9 L\100 in Summer and 4.2 L\100 in winter ��
My 5 speed 2007 1.4 D4D does 4-5l/100km in summer and 4 - 4.5l/100km in winter becaus the speed limit is lowered then. My car has rolled over 400,000 km though. I once got it down to 3.7l when driving in winter, just straight on country road from work to home.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #316
Martin Bruce
Martinios

Drives: Toyota Yaris MK2 1.3 T3 2006
MPG - Good! After longish trip

Just came back from a longish trip, collecting someone, I hit the dashboard left button knob to change the clock but got MPG miles per gallon average, it initially said around 53 now says 52.2

This is better than expected, although I was doing around 55 MPH a lot of the time.
I have just replaced throttle body (posted here:
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...39492#poststop
AIR FILTER: K and N 33-2131
Newish Spark Plugs - DENSO K16R-U
ENGINE OIL - Semi Synthetic - 5W - 30
Slick 50 Treated Engine - once only
Slick 50 Treated Gearbox (containing PTFE)
Rear tail-roof spoiler (factory fitted)
FUEL: E10 Petrol / Gasolene
Tyre Pressures: 35 PSI
GEARBOX: Manual
Vehicle Engine Total Mileage: 117.5 K 1.3 VVTi

I think normally on the Urban cycle (lots of short trips) it is returning around 40 MPG
Old 11-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #317
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
NEVER believe the vehicle ECU estimated number...ive never seen a rig that was remotely accurate

if my wifes driving..she can get anything up to 32 city and 42 hwy..which still blows my mind since that was with a small trailer....but the numbers didnt lie and she has repeated it without the trailer several times over the exact same route

me on the otehr hand..i averaged about 27 be it hwy or city i seem to only go up or down a smidge ie 28.8/26.4

its an 07 5dr automatic..with a lil over 100,000 miles on it...im very convinced the manual would get much better mpg for me atleast

one thing i did find tho is that hard hills and heavy loads will cause a need for premium, but premium run "long term" will drop the mpg down to 24...by way of the brain re-tuning...topping off half a tank with premium will eliminate the pinging of hills and wont effect the mpg...seems to only be an issue in cold weather combined with steep hills an additional 300+lbs in the car
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #318
Martin Bruce
Martinios

Drives: Toyota Yaris MK2 1.3 T3 2006
Another Long Trip

After another recent long trip cruising / urban I managed
53.2 MPG AVERAGE. (Sorry about bad photo).
I don't think I am going to get much better than this.

I would love to get a Toyota Hybrid next - 100 MPG I read somewhere?

Old 04-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #319
tjlnjtl
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kormorant View Post

Conclusion - your right foot is the biggest factor in achieving high fuel economy. For some this is a an unacceptable truth...
With the Yaris I've found the biggest factor is where you drive.

Doing 70 instead of 80 on the highway gets me 37 instead of 36 mpg.

In the almost 10 years I've driven the car 75 miles each way on mostly highway to go to work, I've gotten 34-36 mpg (34 in the winter when driving on studs).

The first few years I had the car when I lived in NY I routinely got under 20 mpg. If I didn't do any highway speed (vs. going 10-15 mph on the highway) driving I would get about 15 mpg.
tjlnjtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:59 PM   #320
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The 1.8 L engine of my 2020 corolla with it’s newfangled variable speed transmission will get 50 miles per gallon at 60 miles an hour on the highway. It’s no trick at all to get 40 miles per gallon in town. Just imagine what it would would get with 1.5 L engine.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:16 AM   #321
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
sorry to say it..but the 1.8 is a MUCH better engine, and honestly that same 1.8 in the yaris would probably make even better than 50 being half the weight of the rolla that same engine would be working half as hard to do the same job....

theres a diminishing returns of weight vs CC....and while the yaris has a sweet spot if you drive it like a lil ole lady the same light yaris with a 1.8 could only get better mpg even when driven angry
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:49 AM   #322
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
I get 28 city and 32 Hwy the best I have managed is 34 highway driving about 67 cruise control. I thought something was wrong with my car. I have denso iridium plugs from Oreilles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post

Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:04 PM   #323
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrenman View Post
I get 28 city and 32 Hwy the best I have managed is 34 highway driving about 67 cruise control. I thought something was wrong with my car. I have denso iridium plugs from Oreilles.
*everyone else with a yari* "im going to drive to be fuel efficient"

*me, running premium gas, foot to the floor through every gear change* "what fuel efficiancy?"
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:06 AM   #324
GaryInony
I've made a post!

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to GaryInony Send a message via Yahoo to GaryInony
What specific factors or modifications might contribute to the difference in fuel efficiency experienced by users with similar Toyota Yaris models, as discussed in the forum?