Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
$9k New Yaris

I bought a new Yari for 12K last month, thought I got a good deal, but now with this economy and the fact that the Yaris is flat out not selling I am wondering if we will be seeing $9k Yari soon ?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
It seems like Toyota has been keeping their prices high lately. Almost as if they're saying F you America, you love our cars so much you'll pay anything. :p I can buy a Nissan Rouge for much less than a Toyota Venza and the Rouge has more of everything. Even the Toyota sales guy couldn't come up with one reason the Venza was worth the extra $$.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I bought a new Yari for 12K last month, thought I got a good deal, but now with this economy and the fact that the Yaris is flat out not selling I am wondering if we will be seeing $9k Yari soon ?
A used one, maybe.

I think that Yaris are Toyota's entry level "loss leaders". I seriously wonder if Toyota makes a profit on them at the prices demanded in the US.

Next time some safety wienie or Greenie demands (and gets) magik safety systems, minimal carbon foot print vehicles meant for the LA Basin instead of your locale think kindly about the retail price.

Now if you'd like to import a model meant for a market where you get crank windows, no airbags, reasonable emissions instead of chasing after "Zero Emissions", no magic super duper stability systems, quadraphonic electronic surround system low freq vibrate your guts sound system, air conditioning, rear defrost, etc you might see $9,000 a pop for a Yaris.

How much does a Tata deathmobile cost? A cheap Yaris is possible. Enough people just have to want it and simply not "go along".

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Stop reading and listening to the news. Instead go talk to the Dealerships.
yes all car sales are down, but millions of people are also hurting from the media hyped finacial crunches and wide spread fear.
The Yaris is one of Toyota's top selling cars right now. I just got another one... there were no white ones left in canada in 5 door, no dark blue RS left either... color options were very low because they are selling like crazy.
I paid $15 CND, out the door for 09 LE 5 door, fully loaded. Thats almost $6500 the regular retail.

Car sales ALWAYS have a huge margin for price dealing, fact is most people don't know squat about haggling or dealing with car salesmen.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticorex View Post
It seems like Toyota has been keeping their prices high lately. Almost as if they're saying F you America, you love our cars so much you'll pay anything. :p I can buy a Nissan Rouge for much less than a Toyota Venza and the Rouge has more of everything. Even the Toyota sales guy couldn't come up with one reason the Venza was worth the extra $$.
The Rogue is perhaps the ugliest vehicle on the market.

The Venza, on the other hand, is stunning.

Also, why are you comparing these two? They're not even the same vehicle type.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
My dealer (a large one), only has a few new Yaris's.

Nevertheless, I wish I could have waited until now to buy one. I was forced to buy last July (during $4/gal gas) and I paid $14K for a nearly 2 year old one with 35,000 miles. You couldn't find a Yaris anywhere.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
staticorex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The Rogue is perhaps the ugliest vehicle on the market.

The Venza, on the other hand, is stunning.

Also, why are you comparing these two? They're not even the same vehicle type.

Well that's your opinion. I don't like the Venza at all. :p But that aside... I was comparing them because I was looking for a vehicle with AWD and extra storage space. They both have AWD optional and have close to the same space. One's just taller than the other. But the Rouge starts at 20k for the 4cyl while the Venza starts at 30k for the same power and much more weight. I was just wondering why the extra 10k for a vehicle half the size and no extra features the Rouge doesn't already have?? And when I went to Toyota and asked, all the salesmen looked up the stats and sat there stumped. They couldn't give me an answer either.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Nissan has the $9990.00 Versa 1.6 and they seem to sell well in my area. They sell within week after entering the showroom.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
Nissan has the $9990.00 Versa 1.6 and they seem to sell well in my area. They sell within week after entering the showroom.
Ya I'm starting to see versas all over too. They just look too much like mini-mini-vans to me.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Yaris will hold its own, especially with the gas prices slowly creeping up. I thought gas would stay around $2 but now it is ranging 2.35 for 87 oct. and 2. 59 for the 93 oct. Prices creeping up daily. Glad to have a Toyota Yaris with its great reputation and outstanding gas economy.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Ya I'm starting to see versas all over too. They just look too much like mini-mini-vans to me.
The $9990.00 price does make it tempting if you can get over the ugly styling and the weird tinny driving style of the Versa. I'm glad I shop around and spent a few thousand dollars more on a Yaris instead.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
staticorex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
The $9990.00 price does make it tempting if you can get over the ugly styling and the weird tinny driving style of the Versa. I'm glad I shop around and spent a few thousand dollars more on a Yaris instead.
+1. And I'm a Nissan fan.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Five years ago you could buy a stripped down Accent for $9K. You can not anymore. I don't think $9K is a reality unless Toyota comes out with a Tata-Yaris.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
Stop reading and listening to the news. Instead go talk to the Dealerships.
yes all car sales are down, but millions of people are also hurting from the media hyped finacial crunches and wide spread fear.
The Yaris is one of Toyota's top selling cars right now. I just got another one... there were no white ones left in canada in 5 door, no dark blue RS left either... color options were very low because they are selling like crazy.
I paid $15 CND, out the door for 09 LE 5 door, fully loaded. Thats almost $6500 the regular retail.

Car sales ALWAYS have a huge margin for price dealing, fact is most people don't know squat about haggling or dealing with car salesmen.
Wow. Can I borrow you for my next car purchase? I heard Toyota Canada had a $1750 cash incentive, but $6500 is huge. How'd u manage it?
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I can't imagine finding a brand-new $9K Yaris. With that being said, my local Toyota dealer still has an '08 on the lot. It is a Barcelona Metallic sedan with a five speed and no side airbags. They're asking $12,988.

http://www.russauto.com/ncinv/BT76592.htm
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
I paid about $12,000 for my new Yaris and I thought that was as cheap as can be.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I got close to $9K with my trade-in Left the Nevada dealer OTD $9,102.47. Of course California's DMV rules tacked on another $820 to get the car register last week. Paid tax on both the trade-in reduction and the $1,500 rebates. Cali's broke so my measily $820 was a dropped in the bucket. Needed a manual tranny with factory cruise control. Apparently Toyota does not ship many off those type to California. It's still a cost under $10K but as I'm adding things like an autodiming rearview mirror, Center arm rest, Mud flaps, and a few other odds and ends I'll crept over $10K in a couple of weeks.

Still love the car and the fuel economy.

Racking up miles quickly as I've got 1,750 in the last 2 weeks. MPG holding steady at 40 to 41.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I don’t think the price will drop. I was coming back into town last night on a 3 lane interstate. I decided to get into the middle lane at the same time as a F150. I did a good job with the pit maneuver on the truck until it drove right over my hood. I hit 2 dealers and have called 8 of them within 200 miles of me and I can find a total of six 09 HB 3 door; there is only one 09 5 door.

The gas prices just went up 13 cents and were coming up on a 6 cent gas tax. And to add insults to all of us the ethanol companies are pushing to change the law to E85 and no one is standing up to stop it.

If the price dose anything I think it will go up soon. Were looking on $4.00 gas soon…