Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
fraenx

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2DHB
How to check if Yaris has remote entry

I just bought a 2007 Yaris 2DHB. The car didn't come with any of the original keys, just one copied key. I am trying to figure out if the Yaris only has Power door locks or if it has the remote entry functionality and I just need the key.

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out if it is set up for remote entry? I am also trying to figure out if it has the engine immobilizer or not.

When I lock the car at the driver door, it locks all 3 doors and after about 20 seconds it honks the horn once, I suppose to show it's alarmed. If I unlock the vehicle from the passenger side the alarm actually goes off.

Do I just need a new remote key or the entire remote setup?

Thanks in advance
fraenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the ultimate remote entry

I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
fraenx

Actually, I was hoping to find a remote entry that fits in my pocket. Maybe I'll get that one for my wife, it might fit in her purse!!! :-)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
My Yaris is a 2008 5-door, but it's just like a 2007 in most ways. It definitely does have remote entry. I use the car most of the time, so I carry the radio key. Press once to unlock the driver's door, twice to unlock all 4 doors and the hatch. Press the lock button to lock everything at once.

The other key, which my wife uses, has similar functions, but you have to use them at the door lock. Twist the lock counter-clockwise to unlock the driver's door, and counter-clockwise again to unlock everything else. To lock all 5 doors, twist the key clockwise.

My car also has the immobilizer, so it would have different keys than non-immobilizer cars.

This will hopefully be of some assistance to you.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Take your vin number and call a dealership in the morning. They will be able to tell you what came on it stock. If you have a good insurance person they can tell you off the vin also.

I just thought about all your question…
If you have the engine immobilizer there should be a flashing red light on the dash. I don’t know where it’s at.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraenx View Post
I just bought a 2007 Yaris 2DHB. The car didn't come with any of the original keys, just one copied key. I am trying to figure out if the Yaris only has Power door locks or if it has the remote entry functionality and I just need the key.

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out if it is set up for remote entry? I am also trying to figure out if it has the engine immobilizer or not.

When I lock the car at the driver door, it locks all 3 doors and after about 20 seconds it honks the horn once, I suppose to show it's alarmed. If I unlock the vehicle from the passenger side the alarm actually goes off.

Do I just need a new remote key or the entire remote setup?

Thanks in advance

With the brick, the batteries never need replacing.

You can tell if you have the immobilizer by looking at the ignition switch. If you don't have the immobilizer the face of the switch will be all metal (like the pic on the left). If you do, just a small portion surrounding the area that turns will be metal, then the rest will be black plastic (like the right picture).

Comparison - Steering Column.jpg

The horn honk after locking sounds like the car has an alarm (possibly the OEM TVIP RS3200). If it does, if you remove the lower passenger glove box you will see a black module about 4" x 4" x 1" with a 36 pin connector.

To check if you have remote keyless entry: On a liftback the door control receiver will be located under the center console, behind the e-brake lever, and will have a 5 pin connector. If you find it, write down the FCC ID off of it, as that will need to be matched up with a keyfob.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
ctscott: actually, no 07 yaris had immobilizer (chip in the key).

farnex: I suspect your alarm is not factory, i'm not quite sure. Perhaps CTScott can post the diagram/installation instructions for the OEM keyless entry/alarm.
Also, regardless which door (driver or passenger) you are unlocking from, it should NOT set off the alarm.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
fraenx

I just tried unlocking the car from the passenger side again and it set off the alarm. However, I did have a hard time even getting the key in there to unlock. Maybe it's a bad copy, not sure. It does work well on the driver side door.

I also found a diagram that shows the remote receiver on the driver side back just behind the window. So I pulled off the panels in the rear and found the receiver. That means it obviously does have remote entry. Now I just need to figure out where to get a remote key without paying $200 because that's about what the dealer charges.

Still not sure what the deal is with the alarm. Also not sure if it has the transponder or not. According to CTScott's post I checked the ignition and it's all metal which should indiate that it doesn't have a transponder/immobilzer. But it has a red blinking light on top of the steering wheel column which firebob's post indicated that it does have the immobilizer. I am confused about that.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
You know not to hijack the post but I have the remote and key for the car and with the remote it has the Lock and unlock buttons. Only thing is when you press the unlock button the lights flash and when you press the lock button it flashes as well. If I hold one of them down I forgot which one it sets off the horn and it starts beeping. I gottha hold it to turn it off. The only thing that works on the remote is the remote start and I gottha press and hold the button 2 times to get the car to start. When the car gets the signal is honks the horn 2 times quick and turns on the car 3 seconds later. The car doesnt have power locks does it? 2007 hatchback
Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #10
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Well the idea is, almost all alarm companies have the "armed" red flashing light that goes with their setup, its pretty much standard issue when you buy it.

Your best bet might be to try and figure out what company directly your dealing with, if you can find the "brains" of the system, the computer, it should have it on there somewhere to let you know what you looking for when it comes to a replacement remote.

From there it is a matter of contacting the company and ordering a replacement then setting it up to the specific car.

I am going through a similar process with an older model Corolla that has a Toyota VIP system installled.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraenx View Post
I just tried unlocking the car from the passenger side again and it set off the alarm. However, I did have a hard time even getting the key in there to unlock. Maybe it's a bad copy, not sure. It does work well on the driver side door.

I also found a diagram that shows the remote receiver on the driver side back just behind the window. So I pulled off the panels in the rear and found the receiver. That means it obviously does have remote entry. Now I just need to figure out where to get a remote key without paying $200 because that's about what the dealer charges.

Still not sure what the deal is with the alarm. Also not sure if it has the transponder or not. According to CTScott's post I checked the ignition and it's all metal which should indiate that it doesn't have a transponder/immobilzer. But it has a red blinking light on top of the steering wheel column which firebob's post indicated that it does have the immobilizer. I am confused about that.

Is there a name on the receiver you found, or on the documentation? The location is definitely not the OEM location, so I would suspect that it is aftermarket.

The 07 service manual has a section on the engine immobilizer, so it may have been an option in certain markets, but it doesn't sound like yours has it, based on the keyswitch description. With my 09 that has it, the LED is hidden in a plastic button (close to the VIN tag on the driver's side of the dash by the windshield), so it really doesn't look like an LED.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
fraenx

The receiver has a red sticker on it and it says "Toyota" and "Receiver Door Control" followed by various numbers including the FCC ID. So it certainly appears to be the factory receiver. According to the diagram on www.toyodiy.com it also is located in the OEM location below the driver side back window. Diagram is attached to this post.

I checked behind the lower glove box and there is no alarm module. See attached pictures.

The thing that conerns me now is, if I find the correct remote key for what seems to be the factory receiver, I am worried that it won't disarm the alarm considering there is no alarm module behind the lower passenger glove box and it sets off the alarm when unlocking the passenger door.
Attached Images
File Type: png diag_2IiLMn.png (12.4 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00001.jpg (71.3 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00002.jpg (73.9 KB, 489 views)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK. From that line drawing I can see the module as being behind the drivers door. In the one I saw it in, it really looked like it was in the console.

Anyhow - Check the panel beneath the steering wheel (you can flip in down from the top) for an aftermarket alarm. Since you didn't find the OEM one on the other side of the car, the most common place to mount an aftermarket one would be beneath the steering column.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
fraenx

OK, I found it. The alarm is located directly behind the small glove box to the left of the steering wheel. See attached picture. It says "CodeAlarm" on it.

Now the question becomes do I need a remote that controls the after market alarm and it simultaneously unlocks the doors or do I need to get a remote for the factory door control receiver and it simultaneously controls the alarm. Or do I need a separate remote for each??

Obviously at the moment the driver side door lock controls the alarm which is why it goes off if I unlock and open the passenger door.

Thanks for all the help by the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00003.jpg (85.0 KB, 479 views)
Old 06-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

One remote can do it all, provided it is wired that way (which it should be). Can you find a model number on the Code Alarm module (CA120, CA130, CA170, etc.)?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
fraenx

On the back is alarge sticker with a wiring diagram and only these two numbers:

FCC ID: GOH-FRDPC2002

102134-4

There also is a small sticker with the following two numbers:

103028-9

102059-3-CPLMM

Other than that no serial numbers etc.

I couldn't find any of those numbers on www.code-alarm.com.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Interesting - Looking up the FCC ID in the FCC database shows just the TN-400 remote.

It's probably an older model than what they show on their website. Give them a call and they should be able to point you to the manual for it.

The remotes are readily available (for example $24 on ebay):

http://www.keyless-remotes.com/-strs...Categories.bok
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
fraenx

Code Alarm sent me the attached manuals. When looking for a transmitter on eBay, do I look for the FCC ID or do I look for a TN-400 remote to find the correct transmitter?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CPLMM_OM.pdf (51.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: pdf CPLMM_IS.pdf (115.3 KB, 94 views)

Tags
alarm, engine immobilizer, keyless entry, missing remote key, remote entry