Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by behour View Post
Well this is what was done.. which I assume was standred but according to what you posted for $30 they change the filter and oil. Do they rotate the tires? I was charged $26 more for that.

They ask if I want to rotate the tires but I always say NOP they are brand new dude cant u see?!?!? lol but I am almost positive if I say yes they would charge me for it as well
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #20
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
yeah, that is a silly price for an oil change. the local auto parts stores has a sale on 5 mobil 1 synthetic quarts and filter for about $25 about 364 days out of the year. it takes about 15 mins to do myself and in the end i have 1 extra quart left over... it's like buy 4 oil changes get one free!!! i had never changed oil on any car before and decided to do it myself on the yaris and was amazed at how easy it is. my only suggestion is to buy a small strap type filter wrench (not that plastic cup looking thing)because it makes life a little bit easier... for me at least. there is nothing to worry about changing the oil in a yaris... i've had sneezes that were more difficult and painful than the oil change
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Well this is what was done.. which I assume was standred but according to what you posted for $30 they change the filter and oil. Do they rotate the tires? I was charged $26 more for that.

Would love to but unsure on how. How would I rotate the tires? As well as clean up properly?

I will talk to this new dealer tomorrow in hopes that they could explain this high bill. I wish I had more of a straight answer on here but either way thanks for the advice. Not a good deal seems to be the right answer but I am probably just wanting to believe that... so very tired of car dealers/auto shops etc always feel like they will charge whatever they want.
If you don't want to DIY, then just bend over and enjoy.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #22
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Not true. DIY FTW

86 dollars is way overpriced.

There is markup on oil. If they aren't making profit at 85, how do they charge me 65(and still make a profit), and they aren't just doing it to bring customers in, its a going rate, at a lube only place... Auto zone made profit off me buying 5 qts pennzoil platinum and a mobil 1 filter for 27.99
Hate to break it do you but they make no profit. Thats whats called a loss leader. It something that they loose money selling to you for less than or at cost. Hoping while your there you might buy a air filter, some car wax maybe some terry cloths etc. Its something to get you in the door. To help some people relate think back to black Friday when they were selling flat screen tvs for 400. No one though oh wow how can they do that. They are just giving them away. Because they are. They just want you to come to their store and hopefully buy something else on the way out.

Ill tell you what my shop pays for oil. 1.89 per quart. We used to pay 2.25 for almost a year putting in high quality oil in every oil change. But people didnt care they just wanted cheap. So we finally compromised and went down to a lower quality oil at 1.89 a quart and dropped out coupon rate from 19.95 to 17.95. I also pay about adverage 4 dollars for the filter. Depends on the car some are more some are less.

So if i a car comes in that takes 5 quarts of oil. thats 13.45 for the parts my cost I only make 4 dollars and 50 cents. That dosnt even cover cost of things like the quarter can of brake cleaner. Thats maybe 50 cents. So really i make 4 dollars flat. I am paying the lube tech 15 a hour that means I dont even cover his salary. Let alone have enough left over to pay for the electricity, rent, etc. Oh yeah i forgot to mention that includes topping off of fluids. Some cars come in with no wiper fluid. Maybe thats 50 cents to fill it up a gallon and half of washer fluid. Some cars come low on coolant. If its toyota long life thats maybe a dollar to fill up a quart. If its low on transmission fluid well it adds up. Sometimes we end up in the negative.

There is no money in oil changes ill say it one last time its considered loss leader. Belive what you will but no shop can survive on oil change alone. Its just something to bring customers in. at 13.45 for parts there is no real room for markup.

If a shop is charging even 20 dollars labor that still dosnt cover it. Most shops labor rate is 95 dollars a hour. If your getting a oil change that includes checking tire pressure topping of fluids full undervehicle inspection full underhood inspection. Takes about 25 minutes to do complete from start to finish. Ad another 5 minutes for checking and checkout time thats half a hour. So really you should be charged half an hour labor rate at 47.50 but your paying 20 bucks still. Or i guess at my shop 4 dollars.

Thats what i mean when i say your not getting ripped off. That shop OP took his car do decides to take less of a loss than the next shop. Maybe they are busy enough they dont really need to do oil changes that they have constant flow of customers. So if they are going to do a oil change they want to make sure its worth thier while. Maybe they have no lube technicians they only have a staff of mechanics. So you may have a 30 dollar a hour mechanic doing your oil change for 80 bucks with 45 dollars in material for oil. You do the math. They are not walking away with pockets full of money.

The lube shops that do quickie oil changes dont really make money either. They charge a little more but poeple go for the quickie service. They make it up by selling you unessisary stuff like air filters that arnt that dirty. Fluid exchanges that arnt needed yet. And plus they use only generic fluids and mark it way up. They pay their technicians lot lower than other shops. Which is why usually thier experience matches thier pay. I am sure everyone has heard of or know about a horror story of such quick lube shops. Just watch dateline nbc.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 12-21-2009 at 11:32 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
YarisSedan

Really sorry for my rant and rave. Its just in my shop i have people that walk out that say my oil change is a rip off at our normal price for 24 dollars at almost a daily basis. And it just offends me. I just want people to know the real truth. Someone had to say it.

FYI I do still use the better oil for the customers that request it i charge 3.50 more for the oil change or fully synthetic oil for 59.95 for up the 5 quarts. Or customers that wish to bring their own oil but walk in with a coupon for 17.95 but the price does not change. Blows me away when they complain why they still have to pay 17.95 even though they brought their own oil.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ when did we go from arguing an 86 dollar oil change to a 20 dollar oil change? You're losing a few dollars per oil change, not 50 or 60.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #25
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
^^ when did we go from arguing an 86 dollar oil change to a 20 dollar oil change? You're losing a few dollars per oil change, not 50 or 60.
Just showing that there is no markup in oil either if you are doing a normal or synthetic

"Well this is what was done.. which I assume was standred but according to what you posted for $30 they change the filter and oil. Do they rotate the tires? I was charged $26 more for that."

If you really want to get down to it and break it down.....

Labor 33.84 - profit 33.84 (Keep in mind OP stated that he had his tires rotated too not just typical oil change) So subtract 26 if you want he was really billed only 7.84 for his oil change.
Parts 48.20 - depends on the oil. I pay 11 dollars a quart for amsoil from my local kragens just really depends on what oil they are using and quality of filter. Not really all that much markup here. Maybe 10 dollars i guess
Shop Material 1.35 - no profit here
Sales tax 3.05 - no profit here
Total 86.44

Okay if you add 33.84 plus 10 dollar profit on parts that 43.84. He paid the dealer 43.84 for 45 minutes worth of their time.

Honestly me personally trying to speak unbiased as possible. I would rather pay a shop 33.84 give them my oil and filter and have them rotate my tires for me, check and adjust my tire pressure, drain and refill my oil and clean up the mess and dispose of the oil and filter for me.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 12-22-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
No guff , but if your car is under warrenty you have to have your oil changed by a reputiable place to show a legit service record .
This is so not true!!!

Even a log entry in an excel spreadsheet would be good enough. You NEVER have to take it to a dealer, nor any other place to prove you got the oil changed.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #27
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Just showing that there is no markup in oil either if you are doing a normal or synthetic

"Well this is what was done.. which I assume was standred but according to what you posted for $30 they change the filter and oil. Do they rotate the tires? I was charged $26 more for that."

If you really want to get down to it and break it down.....

Labor 33.84 - profit 33.84 (Keep in mind OP stated that he had his tires rotated too not just typical oil change) So subtract 26 if you want he was really billed only 7.84 for his oil change.
Parts 48.20 - depends on the oil. I pay 11 dollars a quart for amsoil from my local kragens just really depends on what oil they are using and quality of filter. Not really all that much markup here. Maybe 10 dollars i guess
Shop Material 1.35 - no profit here
Sales tax 3.05 - no profit here
Total 86.44

Okay if you add 33.84 plus 10 dollar profit on parts that 43.84. He paid a shop 43.84 for 45 minutes worth of their time.

Honestly me personally trying to speak unbiased as possible. I would rather pay a shop 33.84 give them my oil and filter and have them rotate my tires for me, check and adjust my tire pressure, drain and refill my oil and clean up the mess and dispose of the oil and filter for me.
^^+2
I really also think that most people are missing the part about if your yaris is still under warrenty you MUST have your car serviced by a reputable dealer/service center so you have a record of all the maintance done . I've installed every single part on my car , myself and have built a couple 4g63 and 7mgte longblocks up in the past so I know my way around a wrench . Now do you guys really think I enjoy having to pay for an oil change and having to wait while someone fondles my baby , Hell-no but its under warrenty so I gotta do what i gotta do . I'm sure the OP's car is still under warrenty too
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #28
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Hate to break it do you but they make no profit. Thats whats called a loss leader. It something that they loose money selling to you for less than or at cost. Hoping while your there you might buy a air filter, some car wax maybe some terry cloths etc. Its something to get you in the door. To help some people relate think back to black Friday when they were selling flat screen tvs for 400. No one though oh wow how can they do that. They are just giving them away. Because they are. They just want you to come to their store and hopefully buy something else on the way out.

Ill tell you what my shop pays for oil. 1.89 per quart. We used to pay 2.25 for almost a year putting in high quality oil in every oil change. But people didnt care they just wanted cheap. So we finally compromised and went down to a lower quality oil at 1.89 a quart and dropped out coupon rate from 19.95 to 17.95. I also pay about adverage 4 dollars for the filter. Depends on the car some are more some are less.

So if i a car comes in that takes 5 quarts of oil. thats 13.45 for the parts my cost I only make 4 dollars and 50 cents. That dosnt even cover cost of things like the quarter can of brake cleaner. Thats maybe 50 cents. So really i make 4 dollars flat. I am paying the lube tech 15 a hour that means I dont even cover his salary. Let alone have enough left over to pay for the electricity, rent, etc. Oh yeah i forgot to mention that includes topping off of fluids. Some cars come in with no wiper fluid. Maybe thats 50 cents to fill it up a gallon and half of washer fluid. Some cars come low on coolant. If its toyota long life thats maybe a dollar to fill up a quart. If its low on transmission fluid well it adds up. Sometimes we end up in the negative.

There is no money in oil changes ill say it one last time its considered loss leader. Belive what you will but no shop can survive on oil change alone. Its just something to bring customers in. at 13.45 for parts there is no real room for markup.

If a shop is charging even 20 dollars labor that still dosnt cover it. Most shops labor rate is 95 dollars a hour. If your getting a oil change that includes checking tire pressure topping of fluids full undervehicle inspection full underhood inspection. Takes about 25 minutes to do complete from start to finish. Ad another 5 minutes for checking and checkout time thats half a hour. So really you should be charged half an hour labor rate at 47.50 but your paying 20 bucks still. Or i guess at my shop 4 dollars.

Thats what i mean when i say your not getting ripped off. That shop OP took his car do decides to take less of a loss than the next shop. Maybe they are busy enough they dont really need to do oil changes that they have constant flow of customers. So if they are going to do a oil change they want to make sure its worth thier while. Maybe they have no lube technicians they only have a staff of mechanics. So you may have a 30 dollar a hour mechanic doing your oil change for 80 bucks with 45 dollars in material for oil. You do the math. They are not walking away with pockets full of money.

The lube shops that do quickie oil changes dont really make money either. They charge a little more but poeple go for the quickie service. They make it up by selling you unessisary stuff like air filters that arnt that dirty. Fluid exchanges that arnt needed yet. And plus they use only generic fluids and mark it way up. They pay their technicians lot lower than other shops. Which is why usually thier experience matches thier pay. I am sure everyone has heard of or know about a horror story of such quick lube shops. Just watch dateline nbc.
This is A BIG LIE!

They in fact made a profit. If you look at what the dealership pays for the parts, and oil, and the fact that the labor is just minutes, so if you factor all this in THE PROFIT IS BIG!

You must work at a dealership and buy all their BS...this is FAR from being a loss leader!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #29
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
^^+2
I really also think that most people are missing the part about if your yaris is still under warrenty you MUST have your car serviced by a reputable dealer/service center so you have a record of all the maintance done . I've installed every single part on my car , myself and have built a couple 4g63 and 7mgte longblocks up in the past so I know my way around a wrench . Now do you guys really think I enjoy having to pay for an oil change and having to wait while someone fondles my baby , Hell-no but its under warrenty so I gotta do what i gotta do . I'm sure the OP's car is still under warrenty too
MORE LIES!!! While in warranty YOU NEVER HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OIL CHANGED BY A REPUTABLE PLACE, NOR DEALERSHIP...WHY ARE YOU GUYS MISLEADING PEOPLE HERE?!?!?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #30
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
MORE LIES!!! While in warranty YOU NEVER HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OIL CHANGED BY A REPUTABLE PLACE, NOR DEALERSHIP...WHY ARE YOU GUYS MISLEADING PEOPLE HERE?!?!?
Ok , well then have a good time trying to get your toyota dealer to back-up the warrenty when you have no ef'n service records on file
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #31
YarisSedan

Quote:
This is A BIG LIE!

They in fact made a profit. If you look at what the dealership pays for the parts, and oil, and the fact that the labor is just minutes, so if you factor all this in THE PROFIT IS BIG!

You must work at a dealership and buy all their BS...this is FAR from being a loss leader!
I guess you cant really understand what overhead is if you never owned a business or taken a business class in school. The dealership has the biggest overhead of any shop. Which is why they have the highest labor rate to cover it. Compared to a smaller independent.

You are not just paying for the lube tech. You are paying for the secretary that answers the phone. You are paying for the so called free coffe in the fancy waiting room. The food for the fish in the fish tank. The people that come and mop the floor every night. The security guard that walks the lot at night. The massive rent i could go on and on. They are not making some massive profit. put it this way if the dealership did ONLY oil changes. Nothing else. Do you really realistically think they would be making loads of money.

Yes i agree lots of things the dealership charges people can be very high. But you have to understand their overhead is so so high. If you dont want to pay a lot i have suggested time and time again find a good local mechanic that you can trust just like your doctor or dentist. My shop is in a complex with about 4 other shops. Two of the shops out of the 4 are 1 man operation 1 bay facility. Very little overhead. The owner is also the mechanic. Of course if the dealership may charge 400 dollars for a particular service he can do the same service for 200. because he has almost no overhead. He may be even willing to do it for 150. You can even find someone on craigslist to do the same service for 75. But guess what the guy on craigslist has zero overhead so he dosnt care.

But yet theres people that go to my shop cause they prefer the professionalism, appreciate the service and the fact that we use only OEM factory parts and have a 1 year warranty just like work done at the dealership but yet we are cheaper than them.

If they were only concerned with price they would probably find a mechanic on craigslist and go the cash no receipt gig and pray to god nothing happens to their car when they are done. But to me that is just insane. Thats like looking in the pennysaver ad for a coupon for laser eye surgery.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 12-22-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #32
YarisSedan

Quote:
The dealership may ask you for your oil change paperwork if something happens engine realated. Like a total engine loss that they may have to replace. They want to see your service records that you have changed your oil in a timely manner. Thats why invoices from a independent shop if you are not going to the dealership is important. Sure you can get away if you do your own oil changes but you have to keep very good records. Dates times and reciptes. You now have to actually prove your case. As far as they know you may have never changed your oil for 2 years and your engine went kaput from sludge and lack of oil pressure. Dealership is more inclined to help you out no questions asked if they punch in your license plate as you pull up and see a extensive service history with them. If you dont have any service history now they become defensive. Now if you have service records to back you up then they will have no choice but to honor warrenty.

If you have NO service records. Well they still may help you. But you are really at the mercy of the dealership. And no one really wants to be in that position. I think two words come to mind.... Bend Over
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #33
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
behour $86 for a synthetic oil change at the dealer is a bit high but not out of the ball park,here in Canada $70 to $80 would be the norm. 4 liters of Mobil1 will set you back close to $40 at the local auto parts store plus a $10 oil filter from the dealer and its $50 just to do it yourself
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #34
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
I know I've been taking my car back to the dealer for the oil changes just for the simplicity of it. Our garage has been too much of a mess lately to be able to change it on my own (finally can get the cars back in as of last night). The driveway has too much of a slope to it to do it in the driveway. Not to mention that now it's just too damn cold out. Dealer I bought the car from and have gone back to, I've declined the tire rotation, and paid about $30+taxes for the oil change. And I get a free car wash out of the deal.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #35
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:

Would love to but unsure on how. How would I rotate the tires? As well as clean up properly?
Rotating tires adds another 20 minutes or so to the job. All you need is a good jack to lift up one side of the car (they run around $50-100), and the tools already sitting in your tire kick in your trunk.

I would see if any Yarisworld members near you are willing to drop by your place and show you the ropes. It's very simple, and actually pretty fun! If you lived closer I would be happy to come by and help :(

Also, everyone saying you must have your car serviced by the dealer to maintain a warranty is flat out WRONG. Not only is it wrong, it's illegal. If a warranty issue comes up, the dealer only needs to see proof that SOMEONE did the oil change/service. If you do your own service, keep a log book. It's easy and will cover you in the event you have to use the warranty.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #36
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
synthetic oil

I wonder whether behour needs synthetic oil. If Mo stands for Missouri (where it doesn't get very cold), and the OP is changing his/her oil every 5 thousand miles, why pay extra for synthetic oil over dino oil? The Yaris engine doesn't need it, does it?
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote