Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Today was a sad day.

I KBB.com'd my car ....... it has dropped like a rock within a year, it's now only worth $6825 and just last time I pulled it, it was worth over $10k. That wasn't even a year ago!

WTH?

:(

That is going to hurt like hell trying to resell it. Paid $15k, 4 years later lose $11k+

Why are they not holding their value better? Or is KBB just really off with their estimated value?
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
i never believe kbb.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
does the value fluctuate with consumer outlook? Maybe since Toyota's been in the public eyes more recently and not under desirable situations. Or is the value a matter of concrete number crunching?

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Check edmunds.com instead. More reliable. KBB is a joke!

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Greenthunder

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Over the past couple years I have come to not relying on KBB. I've looked up the KBB value on my Mustang and it says 18k yet I have seen both dealerships and private sellers asking 21-24k for cars that have double my mileage. Its confusing as hell to me
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
many dealers use KBB because of the lower trade in value . We use both KBB and EDMUNDS. Then use GOOD for both sites as condition of car and divide the TRADE IN VALUE by 2 to get the current price to use as the TRADE IN VALUE . Has worked so far when time to get a new TOYOTA .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My car is worth 11,650 after 2 years of driving to me thats not a bad depreciation and thats private party value as well. I think i payed around 14 when i bought it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
many dealers use KBB because of the lower trade in value . We use both KBB and EDMUNDS. Then use GOOD for both sites as condition of car and divide the TRADE IN VALUE by 2 to get the current price to use as the TRADE IN VALUE . Has worked so far when time to get a new TOYOTA .
Are you saying that you use the average of the trade-in value amounts that KBB and Edmunds provide? As in add them together and then divide by two? Thanks.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I switch cars quite often (see sig), so I figure I've got some experience on this subject.

The depreciation on your car may not be as bad as KBB says, but values have taken a bit of a dive lately. My theory on decreased values includes the following:

Credit isn't as readily available, so used cars need deeper discounts to sell; wholesale/auction prices have dropped. With Toyota's recalls, the market may be trying to take advantage (although this can be debated). As with used values, tighter credit means slower new car sales, so again, the market will try to offset lower volume with higher margin = not give you as much for your trade.

If it helps, I've also experienced ridiculously low trade offers on my current Yaris (yes, I'm always kicking tires). One dealer offered $9K in trade on a loaded five-door that stickered for ~$16.5K ten moths ago. As gas prices climb, your Yaris will start to get better resale value...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
"It's cheaper to keep her," as the old saying goes. Getting rid of a car even after four years is always going to be a hit financially, never do so unless absolutely necessary.

You'll get more out of it the longer you keep it...which is why I always try to keep my cars for 7-10 years.

Cheers! M2
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
right now all toyota's trade in values are going to be terrible because of all the recalls. I have heard more than a few times some dealerships are refusing to take any toyotas as a trade right now.

but you should always check nada,com and edmunds as well as kbb. I don't know why people don't look at nada, I mean it is the north american dealer association...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
Are you saying that you use the average of the trade-in value amounts that KBB and Edmunds provide? As in add them together and then divide by two? Thanks.
yep .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
JBougie, if you're not trying to sell it now, it doesn't matter. If you are, then yeah that's a bummer.

Drive it til it dies, that's what $12,000 cars are designed for, not resale value.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
^^^^^ Agreed completely.
This car is designed for the long haul... I am planning on keeping this car for at least 2-3 more years, once I'm done with the modding (like that's ever going to happen).
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
^^^^^ Also completely agree. My Yaris is worth much more to me than some idiotic guesstimate of its value quoted in KBB!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
^^^^^ Also completely agree. My Yaris is worth much more to me than some idiotic guesstimate of its value quoted in KBB!
Agree 100%. Plus, i couldn't bare to see my Yaris in a wrongful owner's hand, treating it like crap

1 owner, and 1 owner it will be for the rest of it's life~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
Ichimaru

Drives: 08 Yaris LB Blck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
JBougie, if you're not trying to sell it now, it doesn't matter. If you are, then yeah that's a bummer.

Drive it til it dies, that's what $12,000 cars are designed for, not resale value.
I Agree with Cali that's why I got it because I knew I was going to put a lot of miles on it , 2 years and it has 72,600 miles.

This Yaris will die in my hands.
Ichimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
eht13

Drives: .
To the last 5 or so posters: good points on the value of keeping and enjoying this car... I know it helped to remind me to keep these things in perspective.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote