Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 AM   #55
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
yeah, but the REAL question is HOW much will it affect AND is it ACCEPTABLE for your driving needs/wants. It may only decrease your mileage by 1-2 mpg at most, but give you much better performance. Or, it may cost you 3++ mpg and give you hardly noticeable performance. the only way to truely find out is to drive it for a few thousand miles and then install the parts and note the difference in gas mileage and power difference.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #56
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I have owned more than my fair share of low mpg cars and trucks - my 70 pickup only gets 10mpg at the best of times but I only drive it a couple times a month if that. I only fill the Yaris twice a month depending on how much driving I do but Id be willing to lose 3+ mpg with huge performance benefits. I just cant justify the cost (at least at this point). I have also been torn between trying to find compromise between the extremes of both ends of performance / looks.

I like larger wheels but obviously thatll cost me but would also like to boost the engine.

I tried to contact blitz about their system but got no response. Sending email is pretty crappy way of trying anyhow. Is the system your talking about the same one for the scion? its 4g USD however...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #57
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
personally i would increase intake and exhaust minimaly and port and polish the head for better breathing, cooler plugs, thermastat, also a tranny cooler. and that would be it other than suspension. and led lights all around
rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #58
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
oh and a pulley system to reduce drag.
rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #59
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
i like the sound of a supercharger that can turn off! but for 4g I would probably save the money for somthing else, or wait for a used one :) although, a boosted yaris is such a sleeper....
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #60
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
wow, I've never read so much misinformation in my life
(many people on this bored have no clue what they are talking about, sorry to say be careful what you guys read)
you guys argue over stupid things
if someone wants to get more power out of their car, then by all means let them
"to each his own"

if you guys want to learn about modifying your yaris motor, I would read the Scion xB and xA forums, www.scionlife.com there are a lot of write ups on turbo setups and NA setups, considering they have the same drivetrains (US Models), you can steal some of their ideas and parts
just use the search function they have

from my experience with the yaris so far, if you plan on modifying the car at all, please lower it, I've been on three wheels too many times already this car needs to be lowered for safety reasons, its not safe at high speeds at the stock riding height and get some wider tires (minimum 205)(any speed over 90mph)

try to do as much weight reduction as possible, the weight reduction will actually help more than the engine modding because you cannot get much power out of the 1.5 motor without forced induction and its not really worth opening up that motor to get a few more ponies out of it with internal modifications unless you plan on doing a turbo or S/C setup
(considering the costs involved)

In my honest opinion, from what I've been reading up on the MR2 forums, because that is the project I am currently working on, it may actually be better to see if you can possibly fit in a 2zz-ge (celica GTS, Toyota Matrix XRS, Pontiac VIBE GT, Lotuse Elise) motor into the yaris
it is a very lightweight aluminum motor and the stock power configuration alone is more than enough to get the yaris to really move without hurting it too much in the weight department, since this motor is manufactured by yamaha, then it it is a very high comp setup and will run beautifully as an NA setup and they have a lot of turbo options as well
(if it can get a lotus elise to run low 13's stock, I think it is more than enough for a yaris to get moving)

Instead of spending 4k on a turbo setup for the 1.5 liter and manage to get 150-160 hp at the crank, the 2zz will get you 180 at the crank stock for a fraction of the cost and it will bolt right up to our 5 spd transmission
If I didnt want the good mpg for a commuter car that I use the yaris for, I would do it with the 2zz swap. But then again I already have a fast fwd car, no need for another.

Sorry I havent been reading much about this car because I decided not to make a project out of it after buying my spyder but the yaris has a lot of potential, its lightweight and very agile so with a little more added power you have a quick little rocket with a good driver

so use it for whatever you like, to go back and forth from work at 40 mpg, or a little track car, everyone is different
just dont tell someone that they cant make it into what they want to make it
it is a cheap blank canvas, all it needs is a little creativity and engineering to make it into someones pride and joy

so keep up the modding and I hope to see some nice yaris's cruising around the states very soon
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #61
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
wow, I've never read so much misinformation in my life
(many people on this bored have no clue what they are talking about, sorry to say be careful what you guys read)
you guys argue over stupid things
if someone wants to get more power out of their car, then by all means let them
"to each his own"

if you guys want to learn about modifying your yaris motor, I would read the Scion xB and xA forums, www.scionlife.com there are a lot of write ups on turbo setups and NA setups, considering they have the same drivetrains (US Models), you can steal some of their ideas and parts
just use the search function they have

from my experience with the yaris so far, if you plan on modifying the car at all, please lower it, I've been on three wheels too many times already this car needs to be lowered for safety reasons, its not safe at high speeds at the stock riding height and get some wider tires (minimum 205)(any speed over 90mph)

try to do as much weight reduction as possible, the weight reduction will actually help more than the engine modding because you cannot get much power out of the 1.5 motor without forced induction and its not really worth opening up that motor to get a few more ponies out of it with internal modifications unless you plan on doing a turbo or S/C setup
(considering the costs involved)

In my honest opinion, from what I've been reading up on the MR2 forums, because that is the project I am currently working on, it may actually be better to see if you can possibly fit in a 2zz-ge (celica GTS, Toyota Matrix XRS, Pontiac VIBE GT, Lotuse Elise) motor into the yaris
it is a very lightweight aluminum motor and the stock power configuration alone is more than enough to get the yaris to really move without hurting it too much in the weight department, since this motor is manufactured by yamaha, then it it is a very high comp setup and will run beautifully as an NA setup and they have a lot of turbo options as well
(if it can get a lotus elise to run low 13's stock, I think it is more than enough for a yaris to get moving)

Instead of spending 4k on a turbo setup for the 1.5 liter and manage to get 150-160 hp at the crank, the 2zz will get you 180 at the crank stock for a fraction of the cost and it will bolt right up to our 5 spd transmission
If I didnt want the good mpg for a commuter car that I use the yaris for, I would do it with the 2zz swap. But then again I already have a fast fwd car, no need for another.

Sorry I havent been reading much about this car because I decided not to make a project out of it after buying my spyder but the yaris has a lot of potential, its lightweight and very agile so with a little more added power you have a quick little rocket with a good driver

so use it for whatever you like, to go back and forth from work at 40 mpg, or a little track car, everyone is different
just dont tell someone that they cant make it into what they want to make it
it is a cheap blank canvas, all it needs is a little creativity and engineering to make it into someones pride and joy

so keep up the modding and I hope to see some nice yaris's cruising around the states very soon
I have another post here asking for a swap opinion of a 2ZZ. Are u saying that the Yaris 5spd tranny can be mounted easily to the 2ZZ?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #62
soros151

bump on the Q?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #63
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
tranny should bolt right up, but dont take my word for it, I havent done it yet
the tranny codes match from a 1zz and the 1zz trannies have been known to work on the 2zz engines, hopefully somebody else will verify if my statement is true or not...
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Hmm... engine mods, why bother.

Why?

2200 FREEKIN POUNDS!!!!! Thats why.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #65
soros151

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Hmm... engine mods, why bother.

Why?

2200 FREEKIN POUNDS!!!!! Thats why.
I get you don't worry, thats why the Yaris is one of the choices
of tuning. So we can
Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #66
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
um..why use 1zz transmission when the 2ZZ 6 speed bolts up, but VERY CUSTOM, PROTOTYPE MOTOR MOUNTS will not be released for awhile. Don't worry people, as soon as I steal the T Sport and remove the motor mounts and wiring harnesses for mass production WE ARE IN BUSINESS
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #67
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
A 6 speed Yaris.....hmm....I'm in.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #68
soros151

There seems to be an issue with taking a curb with the weight of the 2ZZ, but maybe I'm over reacting, nothing that can't be cured with a set of coilovers and some swaybars.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #69
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
why would you want a 6 speed in the yaris anyway? And even if you swap the 2zz into the yaris, you would have a decent a mount of fabrication. Plus the angle of the motor woulnd't look good either.
If you want a turbo setup, where would it go? But under the car where the x-haust is. Hmm another $5000 of custom work?

I mean its a great idea, but, their are better options. Rebuild the engine, turbo it, or swap in the cheaper 1zz-fe. Many, many aftermarket support. Probably half the cost of the 2zz swap, unless you know what your doing or you have about $10,000-$15,000K to spare. I mean if you want to be like a honda with a k20a into a hatch with the 6 speed LOL. But you gotta think, just because someone done the swap overseas or so, would it be able to pass the vision check of the emissions, what if you get pulled over? You should probably should wait within a year or so until you have proof of the swap and it is legal to do so. But otherwise a waste of money.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #70
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
As long as the 2ZZ-GE was manufactured the same year or newer than the yaris, and USDM, it could be legally swapped in. I think that limits it to the corolla XRS motor.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #71
soros151

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponrcamry
why would you want a 6 speed in the yaris anyway? And even if you swap the 2zz into the yaris, you would have a decent a mount of fabrication. Plus the angle of the motor woulnd't look good either.
If you want a turbo setup, where would it go? But under the car where the x-haust is. Hmm another $5000 of custom work?

I mean its a great idea, but, their are better options. Rebuild the engine, turbo it, or swap in the cheaper 1zz-fe. Many, many aftermarket support. Probably half the cost of the 2zz swap, unless you know what your doing or you have about $10,000-$15,000K to spare. I mean if you want to be like a honda with a k20a into a hatch with the 6 speed LOL. But you gotta think, just because someone done the swap overseas or so, would it be able to pass the vision check of the emissions, what if you get pulled over? You should probably should wait within a year or so until you have proof of the swap and it is legal to do so. But otherwise a waste of money.
Just to get with a turbo kit with the 1NZ would be more than the cost of the 2ZZ. Of course you would have a big amount of fabrication, thats why it is called a project. The angle of the motor wouldn't look good?

Does that look bad to you?
I don't need a turbo for a Yaris with a 2ZZ, it already would do 13.4 with just the swap, add a complete combo of Intake, Custom header and a complete exhaust and you could see some gains there. And about the legality of the swap the last one who talk about it was right, you only need a motor of the same year or futher up.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #72
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
No it doesnt look that bad, decent swap I would say :). I am a going to do this project within a year or so, I am currently discussing this with one of my friends that work at a local performance shop. But anyway, Turboing the 1nz-fe will cost more than a 2zz swap? I dont think so. More custom work = more $$$ especially a good engine to find and to add the tranny?. Like I said with all that money you can just rebuild the internals or just dump a 1zz in it. Alot of aftermarket support for that engine, since it's in the mr-s. But if you have the money, and time go for it.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote