Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That is AWESOME. Can I use it as a basic guide for other customers?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Garm, I'm sending you a PM.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
jpmck03

Thumbs up The Finished Review!

Since I already posted a DIY (Link), I'm just going to add some thoughts on the install and the SSK as a whole.

Quick and Dirty

Like I said in my first post: It's awesome!

Part Two: The Shifter Cable Bracket

The Install
Installing the shifter cable bracket involved the following:
  1. Removing the battery tie down, battery, and plastic battery tray.
  2. Removing the passenger side and driver’s side pins from the shifter cable ends and pulling the shifter cables off of the shifter levers.
  3. Removing both clips holding the shifter cables in the shifter cable bracket.
  4. Moving the shifter cables and wiring cables to gain access to the top of the shifter cable bracket.
  5. Removing the 12mm bolt from the wiring bracket, and swinging the wiring bracket out of the way.
  6. Removing the 14mm bolts from the shifter cable bracket, and removing the OEM shifter cable bracket.
  7. Replacing the OEM shifter cable bracket with the MI shifter cable bracket using the original bolts and MI-supplied washed.
  8. Reattaching the wiring bracket to the MI shifter cable bracket.
  9. Placing both shifter cables back into the MI shifter cable bracket.
  10. Reattaching both original clips.
  11. Reattaching the shifter cable ends to the shifter levers, and.
  12. Reattaching the plastic battery tray, battery and battery tie down.
Overall, this part was a little bit more frustrating than the first. A lot of this had to do with the fact that I'm a relative "newb" when it comes to the whole car modification game. You know, paranoia that I'll never get the car put back together, break something, etc. This, of course is of no fault of the SSK itself.

In retrospect, the install was relatively easy, and at no point was I left scratching my head saying to myself, "Now what the hell do I do?" The two things that were the most annoying were: 1.) removing the clips from the shifter cable bracket, and 2.) squeezing in behind the shifter cable bracket to remove the wiring bracket with my tiny 1/4 in drive ratchet. Also, trying to remove the bolt by turning the ratchet the wrong way didn't help. Righty tighty, lefty loosy is backwards when you are removing a bolt from the back side of it...

Overall I'd say on the difficulty scale (my difficulty scale that is!) I'd rate the install at a 4 out of 10, with 10 being the hardest. If I had to do it again, maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10.
The First Drive
Overall, things have smoothed up a bit between shifts. The "up and over" shifts are quite a bit easier, and it's easier to get into first as well as reverse from neutral. I read on another review that prior to adding the bracket it felt like getting into gear felt like the stick went "bump, bump, then we're in gear." I felt that too, but since I knew that I was going to put in the shifter cable bracket, I didn't mention it. Now that I have the bracket in, it's "clutch in, bump, in gear, clutch out."

The only downside I've experienced, which is entirely due to my "take it slow and don't screw up" approach is this: Because I left the battery out for so long, the customized throttle response that the ECU made based on my driving style is out the window. So, now it feels like I just bought the car again.

Once I'm done relearning how to drive the car, and relearn how to drive with my new and improved SSK, I'm sure I'm going to love it even more than I already do.
Overall Rating

9 out of 10 clapping dudes!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
Not trying to sound like an arse, but I would highly advise not putting your battery on the ground, because it looks to me like you have it on the ground.

I've found out the hard way that something about putting your battery on the ground kills it, not sure what exactly. It might be different with the Yaris's battery, but best to play it safe. It might be okay to leave it there for a little while, but don't leave it there for an extended period of time.
myth. show me the physics and chemistry on why this occurs. you won't be able to.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #23
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
myth. show me the physics and chemistry on why this occurs. you won't be able to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
I remember when I was a kid, my dad was doing something to the family car, took the battery out and left it on the garage floor for a while, put the battery back in later and it was dead.
It's possible the battery could have just been dead anyway.
From what i've read lately, it's complete bollocks, so you're probably fine.
Just something I was told ever since I was young, I even said before it's probably not true.
Besides, I don't see the harm in taking an extra precaution, best to assume it is true and it not be, then to assume it's fine and find out the hard way it's not.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
jpmck03

Hey, you boys better stop fighting about batteries in my pretty little SSK thread!

Take it outside!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

9 of 10 clapping dudes - Love it. Thanks guys
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
jpmck03

Six month long term review is up!

I've already had this bad boy in for six months! I've added a long term review!

(See the first post of this thread or Click Here!)

Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
what a complete review. You should also be like the YW designated DIY author. I love the way you color shaded each part you were referencing that makes it so clear.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
what a complete review. You should also be like the YW designated DIY author. I love the way you color shaded each part you were referencing that makes it so clear.
Thanks, I do what I can. I figure if Garm spent the time getting it on the market, I could spend a little time showing people how I installed it and how it worked out for me.

Maybe Garm will send me one of his new pulleys when they come out so I can do an official DIY and Review, here and on MI! (If only I could be so lucky!)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Form>Function

You never know lol. Whats the worst that can happen....... he says no.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

He... is watching...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #31
Form>Function

Who knew Garm is omniscient.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #32
jpmck03

Well, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that the modding gods are generous.

(Also, am I threadjacking my own thread? )

Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
TRD.RiC

Drives: 09 Yaris RS
I dont know if im the only Canadian guy with this kit but in winter at minus 30 i had to force in the 1st gear. Once the engine bay was warmed up I had not problem. other than that its great never had any problems with it. I have the full kit as well

9/10 here as well
TRD.RiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #34
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD.RiC View Post
I dont know if im the only Canadian guy with this kit but in winter at minus 30 i had to force in the 1st gear. Once the engine bay was warmed up I had not problem. other than that its great never had any problems with it. I have the full kit as well

9/10 here as well
I've found that if it doesn't go into first initially, that keeping the clutch in and going into second and then back again helps. Don't ask me why it works (I think I remember reading something about the way the sychros mesh up in first and reverse?), but it seems to do the trick.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
I've found that if it doesn't go into first initially, that keeping the clutch in and going into second and then back again helps. Don't ask me why it works (I think I remember reading something about the way the sychros mesh up in first and reverse?), but it seems to do the trick.
I never had problems with 1st, but the same trick works for Reverse gear (first some other gear, then R)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #36
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
^For that same issue I usually just take my foot off the brake and let the car roll forward or backward a half an inch or so and then it will slip right in.