Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #55
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Ah, that's the beauty of car modifications.. so many choices, so many schools of thought, so many possibilities for unique results, each with its advantages and drawbacks.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #56
FlintArrow

Drives: Flint Mica 2007 Yaris S M.T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to swap in a different engine. I mean sure it can be done, but I don't see a need to unless your trying to build an ultra drag specific car. The fact that you guys are missing is that the car is a light car ~2200lbs. If you swap in a different engine you run the risk of making the car heavier, because the celica engine is going to be heavier, not to mention you have to get the motor mounts just right to keep the car from being imbalanced. Personally if you make the stock engine have 200whp you would be running a 13 flat maybe even into the 12s depending on traction, I don't see why you would need a car faster then that. That being said... if you want to swap in an engine, I would do a tc engine maybe even turbo that. Reason being is the scions and the yaris seem to have similar things in common and I know its possible to cram a tc engine in an xb so why not into a yaris. But again that engine is heavier. Keep your car light and you dont need gobs of power to be fast. Plus it wuold be cool to say you have a tiny engine and your car runs 12s. Also too about the throttle body the tc's use a electric throttle body as well so it would work. Actually the guys that have my car are looking into switching throttle bodies as a possible upgrade. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

I agree in many ways.

There really isnt a reason to swap in another engine unless your running into a brick wall of performance and have money to burn. There are very very few motorsport events that allow for swapped engine vehicles and even less places you can pull it off from an emission stance. For those who have the money to burn a 2zz swap is the most plausible as all others would have to be basically assembled from the ground up.

I also completely agree that weight reduction is the name of the game. 15" wheels, stripped interiors with non-adjust race seats, etc is the easist way to make a car with 106 hp go faster. 18's and a bumpin system is only for commuters.

Sadly though a 2zz is within 20 pounds of a 1nz if not the exact same weight. I have read some comparisions on a Echo forum and you wouldnt imbalance the car at all...just pick up 55 whp.

Most Yaris models weight in the mid 2300 pound range. My 2000 MR-S tips the scales slightly under 2200 and it doesnt have side/curtain air bags or a back seat, trunk, etc.

If you could get 200 whp from a built/blown 1nz in a 2300 pound Yaris, more than likely you wouldnt get anything better than mid 13's which is still VERY fast. An Elise at 1950 with 160 whp runs mid 13's at 103-106 and most 2zz swapped MR2 Spyders at 2250 with 160 whp run high 13's at 103ish. I am sure there is someone out there with Hoosier slicks and no interior who will rip into the 12's but probably not the average. Point being, mid 13's from a Yaris is sickening fast.

From a spec standpoint the 2zz-ge and the 2az-fe are completely different animals. I know any TC fan will live and die by the performance potential of the 2.4 but compared to a 2zz IMO its not a fair comparison.

The 2zz out of the box puts out 10 more whp than the 2az, is much lighter and compact, has its powerband in the right place (due to VVTL-I cams), and internally has been designed for performance applications. Its heads and intake manifold are a work of art and its internals are stout with over 11:1 compression.

While it can be argued that the 2az has the potential to make more power (as its over half a liter larger), i believe at some point you will find flow and rev limitations as well as engine management problems. The extra torque would be great for drivability but depending on tire fitment could be a double-edge sword. Now, if you comparing a built 2az vs a stock 2zz then by all means it has an advantage. The nice thing about all FE style blocks (1zz, 2az, etc) is they are littered in economy cars making engine replacement very cheap. How hard is it to find a wrecked Corolla or Camry?

All Celica engine options, the 2zz and 1zz, are drive by wire operated so ECU wiring is the task at hand.

With stroker and boost options available to the smaller 1.8 engines (or even 1nz), IMO, its a much more viable performance option to putting in a 2.4. As we have noted, the Yaris is a very light rig and the need of all that torque isnt as great as say a TC cracking the scales at over 2900 pounds.

Still, I always invite a vehicle that has been done differently. Cookie-cutter mods are very boring and nobody draws a crowd these days with a B16 Honda swap if bone stock.

PS: Sorry Honda fans; not trying to insult anyone. Its a great engine to swap into any car...just a bit common.
FlintArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #57
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
somebody buy my yaris and toss a 2zz in it lol
need to get rid of this thing, come one guys help a guy out to sell a car
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #58
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
before diving headlong into the projects im working on over winter I looked into a 2zz swap for the yaris, might even buy the parts for it if I can sell one of the other projects. Trying to find a wrecked or tired 2000+ celica, vibe or matrix around here is impossible for less than 8-9k.
From the research I did do at the time it seemed the only daunting task of the swap was the wiring. Youd need a whole donor car or engine with complete harness to pull off the swap unless you want to spend weeks chasing wires.
Only other issue is lack of front tranny mount which could easily be solved with a cross brace. Like its been said, weight is negligeable, size also, engine mounts on either side are (should) be the same. Some minor clearance issues on the passenger side pulleys and building a complete exhaust from the header back.
Nice thing is the matrix came with an AWD and six speed for a couple years, celica had a six speed in the gts didnt it? cant remember now.
I do know I took all the measurements from the AWD matrix and other than having to mock up rear suspension mounts, cutting down the driveshaft (about 4 inches to long) and putting in a tunnel it would all fit.
Course the straight engine swap is the easier of the two evils. Either way if youve never done a swap or dont intend to do it yourself it may be super daunting and overly expensive to get a shop to do it.
I for one will never spend what youd need to on the stock 1nz just to get 150 reliable hp out of it.
Ive also bounced around the idea of getting a small displacement aluminum longitudinal v8 or v6 and four link with a rear live axle from a miata so dont laugh to hard at the small block chev idea....

A guy in town here built a mini with a small block in it for the 'knox mountain hill climb' was the craziest thing ive seen, think the tranny was bolted direct to the rearend...

Anyway, dont think youll see any extreme yaris anytime soon.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #59
we-to-11

Drives: Yaris Edition S
Yaris Engine swaps

Hey im lookin for the owners of this cars.... or if anybody knows owners of a yaris with another not regular engine???

I wanna get some informations before i try to put another engine in there

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #60
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
4AGE 20v powered NCP91....ACP91 Awesome, I was thinking the same thing!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #61
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Holy shoehorned-in, Batman... if I were to find a powerplant like that, what would I tell the junkyard to look under the hood of??
What sort or WHP would a setup like this run, with stock internals?
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #62
slothman86

I believe the 20v 4AGE was in JPN only...so good luck in the junkyard, you can buy them online...but I don't know about the tranny, mounts, ecu...etc
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #63
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Engine Swap?

Hey everyone. I was just curious, does anyone know If there is engine swap available for the Yaris yet. I refuse to believe that there isn't We've gotta be able to get the Celica GT-S motor in there some how. Turbo can't be the only way to go. Even building this motor up would be kind of useless, I think. The Yaris is light as hell, someone has to have done a motor swap already. The Yaris weighs about as much as the old school Civic hatchback (90-93). The Yaris is a great platform to start with I think. You figure Honda has the EG Hatchbacks weighing about 2200lbs , and Honda guys are putting the 1.8 GSR motor in there, with about 170hp. We have our Yaris and the 1.8 GT-S motor with 180hp, this would be a nice equivalent to what the honda guys have. Shit even the fit has a swap! Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Smartasses don't respond thanks. Peace
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #64
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
yes, the celica motor fits u probably have to modify the firewall, but it does fit.... The only problem is that street image did a yaris with the swap. but they dont have any information on their website.
Yea the fit's engine bay is big as heLL. U can dump a k24 in that bit**
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)****** **"( @)
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #65
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
I'm telling you guys, Yaris+GT-S motor= Fast Ass Eggmobile. Lol
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #66
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
The 16V/20V 4AGE comes from a AE101/AE111 Toyota Levin/Trueno Coupe. I am not sure if other cars come with it.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #67
slothman86

16v 4age come in the geo prism sometimes and in the AW11 MR2
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #68
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
OK I need to vent a little on this topic, here I go, lets just say you could get a GTS engine in our car, Engine $2900 (ebay). Tranny +/- $1000, then you need labor +/- $1500, mounts, wiring & miscellanious +/- $2000. Now you have invested +/- $7400 & you have a 180 flywheel hp Yaris which equals 145 to the wheels. Now this is all asuming you can get everything done for this amount of $$. Now how many people on this forum are going to spend half of the total cost of their car on a swap? Consider that Blitz & Greedy have a SC & ZPI has a turbo kit for less than half of what a swap cost & only 3 owners have gone in the forced induction route! Guys WE bought a INEXPENSIVE CAR! The possibility of any of us spending $7400 is slim to none. If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform. If you want a more powerfull Yaris a Turbo Kit for $3200, a S/C kit for $2500 or a N2O kit for $550 is the best way right now. I am not saying that a swap is never going to be done. But the $ per HP value is just not there. If you have $7400 to spend on your Yaris here is a plan for you: ZPI kit $3200, Pistons & rods $1200, install $1000, These $5400 will get you 200hp + to the wheels. Why swap?
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #69
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
OK I need to vent a little on this topic, here I go, lets just say you could get a GTS engine in our car, Engine $2900 (ebay). Tranny +/- $1000, then you need labor +/- $1500, mounts, wiring & miscellanious +/- $2000. Now you have invested +/- $7400 & you have a 180 flywheel hp Yaris which equals 145 to the wheels. Now this is all asuming you can get everything done for this amount of $$. Now how many people on this forum are going to spend half of the total cost of their car on a swap? Consider that Blitz & Greedy have a SC & ZPI has a turbo kit for less than half of what a swap cost & only 3 owners have gone in the forced induction route! Guys WE bought a INEXPENSIVE CAR! The possibility of any of us spending $7400 is slim to none. If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform. If you want a more powerfull Yaris a Turbo Kit for $3200, a S/C kit for $2500 or a N2O kit for $550 is the best way right now. I am not saying that a swap is never going to be done. But the $ per HP value is just not there. If you have $7400 to spend on your Yaris here is a plan for you: ZPI kit $3200, Pistons & rods $1200, install $1000, These $5400 will get you 200hp + to the wheels. Why swap?

good point. it'll be too expensive of a swap for the outcome. like you said, a turbo or SC will be a better idea.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #70
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Talking mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
... If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform....
...mazdaSPEED3... if i had the money...

i cant be the only one who enjoys a light, low horsepower FWD car... wanna go fast? drop $1500 into a custom tein edfc suspension and another $1500 on driving schools...srry
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #71
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
strictly a biased opinion on the rebuild / swap. 3g's for a used engine? that better be prepped and ready in plastic wrap. There are a few yards here that have used long blocks w/ tranny for 1200 or less. This would mean a rebuild but youd have to do that anyway. Buy the engine harness from toyota for a few hundred, the ecu off eba or another yard for 50 bucks. That gets me to about 3500 or so parts only. A far cry from 7400.
And since when are you going to lose 45hp right off the top? There wasnt that much parasitic loss on 30yr old cars. The Yaris itself only loses 10hp as noted on dyno sheets posted up.
That 5400 you claim implies you do all the work yourself? Thats a parts only price too, what shop does the machine work, balancing, tuning? A grand for install? Maybe to drive the car onto the lift.
Ive done plenty of swaps, working on one right now; not on a Yaris but the principle is the same. I do all the work myself and dont pay retail for anything unless I have too. And from everything Ive read about the two engines (1nz and 2zz) they 'should' almost bolt it place of one another.
Both swap and FI are expensive options if you need to pay to have everything done by a shop.
so thats my vent.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #72
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Over here, all things considered, including labor, It's more or less the same price for all 3 options... but an engine swap is preferable to me, as the new engine is basically stock, so it is not being pushed beyond what it was designed for to produce 180hp, and also leaves a lot more room for improvement.

And, no matter what, a brand new Yaris + all sorts of mods + new engine, here at least, is still gonna cost half of the price of a "proper" sports car, and give those a good run for their money

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote