Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #73
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
the ford focus RS sold poorly because people want SUVS to be "up high and feel safe and because they need AWD"

a big vehicle doesnt need you safer, good driving skills do. AWD doesnt have tocome in just SUVS its all about money big heavy vehicles break faster and are harder and more complex to service.

a monster yaris makes sense because its a huge potential tuner market, just because you all drive second gens and cant afford it or see the potential doesnt mean i have to settle for garbage because im "poor". it has the same spec sizes as a honda civic 90s hatch and taller and shorter but just as wide, it is super modular and its super light weight and rigid esp if you get the 3 door ;)

like i said early, if ford can spec out there focus hatchbacks and stuff for a reasonable price so can toyota and those sold poorly.

i tell this story all the time i put snow tyres on my yaris and survived 3 blizzards and a whole bunch of crap in my car, i had an SUV and it was a service nightmare and completely useless
I just can't follow your logic man. If the focus RS sold poorly then why would a hot hatch yaris sell well?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #74
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I asked because your thread hasn't been updated in 16 months and you are constantly stating how you're building a GRMN, how easy it is and how much you know about it. This sounds a whole lot like vaporware - of all the crucial components and fabrication of your proposed build - which would take someone akin to Stephen Papadakis to do - you have only acquired the least important/ easiest to attach pieces.

By all means prove me wrong but if I was a betting man there is no way in hell this "build" in actually anywhere close to happening except in a thought bubble. Your posts and statements comes across as a "me too" shout out amidst all of the actually engine swaps and yaris builds going on in real time on this thread. Again, please prove me wrong by actually posting up images of your build and progress made on more than a computer monitor. I;m sure many on here would love to see one of the biggest Yaris fabrication/builds ever since Garm was kicking around.

The Toyota American that "sucks" is one of the most successful automotive manufacturers still kicking around. There is a reason others have taken bailouts and closed up plants or all out discontinued whole segments of vehicles. One kid's pipe dream of a vehicle does not make for a successful business. A board of directors exist for a reason.
toyota of america is a importer for toyota of japan. thats about all they are. a really really fancy importer that ships the car parts in in pieces and assembles them here, thus saving on cost and money.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #75
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I just can't follow your logic man. If the focus RS sold poorly then why would a hot hatch yaris sell well?
just because you dont want it doesnt mean enthusasist wouldnt, regardless if it doesnt sell if toyota sells like 5000 or so for the amount they sell them in the uk they still make bank, as they made the GRMN on the same platform where the regular yaris was made and saved them minimal tooling.

edit

30k (ballpark sale figure) x 5000 is alot of money, seeing how it costs them next to nothing minus some new tooling.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #76
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
I asked because your thread hasn't been updated in 16 months and you are constantly stating how you're building a GRMN, how easy it is and how much you know about it. This sounds a whole lot like vaporware - of all the crucial components and fabrication of your proposed build - which would take someone akin to Stephen Papadakis to do - you have only acquired the least important/ easiest to attach pieces.

By all means prove me wrong but if I was a betting man there is no way in hell this "build" in actually anywhere close to happening except in a thought bubble. Your posts and statements comes across as a "me too" shout out amidst all of the actually engine swaps and yaris builds going on in real time on this thread. Again, please prove me wrong by actually posting up images of your build and progress made on more than a computer monitor. I;m sure many on here would love to see one of the biggest Yaris fabrication/builds ever since Garm was kicking around.

The Toyota American that "sucks" is one of the most successful automotive manufacturers still kicking around. There is a reason others have taken bailouts and closed up plants or all out discontinued whole segments of vehicles. One kid's pipe dream of a vehicle does not make for a successful business. A board of directors exist for a reason.
yeah yeah buddy you drive a 2nd gen and builds take time, some of us arent after quick and easy.

i did post pictures the GRMN im japan is nothing but a turboed corolla motor with some custom seats and body panels and one of avics brakes and shocks all which are avaiable online to be imported from toyota because i found an importer that will hook me up.

its the money not the parts or the time, lmao. also i havent installed my body panels because i want the entire kit to be assembled rather then doing it in pieces. so id rather do it all in one go because alot of the things for it can be done at once like the blinker mirrors and the power mirror assembly and the interior panels are all one step rather then doing extra steps.

also the GRMN seats are like 2000 a seat so. yeah. fund me bro
Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #77
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
just because you dont want it doesnt mean enthusasist wouldnt, regardless if it doesnt sell if toyota sells like 5000 or so for the amount they sell them in the uk they still make bank, as they made the GRMN on the same platform where the regular yaris was made and saved them minimal tooling.

edit

30k (ballpark sale figure) x 5000 is alot of money, seeing how it costs them next to nothing minus some new tooling.
I would be extremely surprised if there are 5k people in the US that would spend 30k on a yaris.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #78
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Real enthusiasts build cars they dint buy them. Of the ones that do buy, they are not going to buy a yaris in that price range. They will buy a much more driver oriented car in that same range ie: gt 86

If it was so simple it would have been done. One thing companies like to do is make money. They just have a lot more foresight before they decide on decisions
Old 12-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #79
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Real enthusiasts build cars they dint buy them. Of the ones that do buy, they are not going to buy a yaris in that price range. They will buy a much more driver oriented car in that same range ie: gt 86

If it was so simple it would have been done. One thing companies like to do is make money. They just have a lot more foresight before they decide on decisions
Gt86 is a badge engineered car from toyota.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #80
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I would be extremely surprised if there are 5k people in the US that would spend 30k on a yaris.
well it has stellar reliability low weight and its a performance hatchback its gotten rave reviews in africa and europe because i follow the entire GRMN community like a hawk, its sold and all of them sold out in europe and all of them sold out in japan.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #81
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:

also build cars, yeah thats exactly what im doing, building a GRMN and keeping the entire process as secret as possible.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #82
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Quote:
Gt86 is a badge engineered car from toyota.
What is a GT 86? The Toyota "86?" (Which I really like and is more than "badge engineering" because it has mechanical Subaru w/ Toyota fuel/spark system...something Toyota is pretty good at. Also a RWD w/ a boxer. (I'd love a FWD or RWD Subaru...1990 2-door FWD hatch w/ automatic, hydraulic lifters, and my total rear seat delete was fabulous in snow. Seatbacks rolled back all the way to the floor...best trip car ever.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #83
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
What is a GT 86? The Toyota "86?" (Which I really like and is more than "badge engineering" because it has mechanical Subaru w/ Toyota fuel/spark system...something Toyota is pretty good at. Also a RWD w/ a boxer. (I'd love a FWD or RWD Subaru...1990 2-door FWD hatch w/ automatic, hydraulic lifters, and my total rear seat delete was fabulous in snow. Seatbacks rolled back all the way to the floor...best trip car ever.)
toyota didnt make the engine, so it kinda doesnt count. kinda doesnt make sense if your gonna make a successor to the AE86 you cant just relabel an engine and call it home, its not even from the 4A class family.

toyota run by an old man, old men get complacent and really dont care except catering to other old people. no disrespect on toyota but most of the demographic there selling to is like 60 and over.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #84
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
toyota didnt make the engine, so it kinda doesnt count. kinda doesnt make sense if your gonna make a successor to the AE86 you cant just relabel an engine and call it home, its not even from the 4A class family.

toyota run by an old man, old men get complacent and really dont care except catering to other old people. no disrespect on toyota but most of the demographic there selling to is like 60 and over.
I really don't understand your rationale. I guess the 1zz and 2zz as well as any other very reliable Yamaha engines sitting in a Toyota must not count either. In fact all of Toyota's reputation as being reliable is suddenly tarnished from the realization that Toyota does not manufacture every single part of their cars. In fact no mainstream manufacturer does.

If you seriously think the 86 is simply a "rebadged emblem" then you should take a bit of time out if your self proclaimed 17 hour days reading about the Yaris and maybe read a little something else.

I'm sure with all of your stellar business ideas Toyota's shares would soar if they took you on board. Start with Toyota UK as your have stated they are so fond of you.

Also please enlighten the YW members on why owning a 2nd gen would make one inferior to an individual who owns a 3rd gen

With more and more of your posts I seriously cannot tell if you are just trolling out of boredom and nothing better to do or if you are a 16 year old who lacks common sense and a big picture thought process. This forum has always been a straight forward no bs place to read info from, contrary to the many civic (and other) automotive forums. Your posts are doing a good job of knocking that down and filling this space with conjecture all to seemingly want to "fit in". Just let it go
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #85
dogsridewith

(a little good natured, middle-aged rice-talk doesn't bother me)

DSF: You're OK w/ your oldest driving something like a 200 horsepower hatchback in six years? (I went everywhere happily in a couple Beetles--first the family 53 horsepower '67. Then my own (great uncle's) 36 hp '57...see why 100 ish is perfect in a Yaris? W/ way more mpg, interior room, serious heat, A/C, and a huge hatch. Also a lot less likely to barrel roll. With better rust-proofing in an era of worse road salt...I'm hoping.)
Old 12-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #86
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
yeah yeah buddy you drive a 2nd gen and builds take time, some of us arent after quick and easy.

i did post pictures the GRMN im japan is nothing but a turboed corolla motor with some custom seats and body panels and one of avics brakes and shocks all which are avaiable online to be imported from toyota because i found an importer that will hook me up.

its the money not the parts or the time, lmao. also i havent installed my body panels because i want the entire kit to be assembled rather then doing it in pieces. so id rather do it all in one go because alot of the things for it can be done at once like the blinker mirrors and the power mirror assembly and the interior panels are all one step rather then doing extra steps.

also the GRMN seats are like 2000 a seat so. yeah. fund me bro
What's wrong with the 2nd gen Yaris? I have a 2007 but I also have a 12 and had a 13, 14, and 16. The 2007 is lighter and seems to me at least to be more nimble than the newer ones. While I think the newer ones were nicer for everyday driving, the older ones are better for any sort of motorsport type application. Same thing with the Neons I used to own.

Also, what's with the dickish attitude about everything? You were making dickhead comments in my for sale thread about a stupid steering wheel, seems you pissed off one of the very few admins left here, and now you're giving someone a hard time who actually did a successful swap on their car and actually raced it? What are you trying to prove?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #87
dogsridewith

A few years ago, maybe still, there was a builder who's resto-mod was something like "The 72 Chevelle SS Chevrolet should have built." (Actually might be similar for some of the other muscle/pony car models of that era.)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #88
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Well, here we are in 2019 and still no word on a 2019 Yaris. For what it's worth, the website still doesn't have the 2019 Prius up there, either.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #89
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
The 2019 Prius is under the "upcoming" models.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:51 AM   #90
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Yaris hatch is still going strong, and Toyota offering special deals here in Australia. Toyota Australia also announced yesterday a 5 year warranty for all new sales.

https://www.toyota.com.au/yaris