Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
GAS GUAGE TEST!!!!!

As you all know in the Manual for the 2007 Yaris when you need to fill up your tank the last bar on the gauge will start to blink. As you drive futher the bar is spose to flash faster indicating that you need to fill up ASAP! I decided to do an experiment and see how fast it would blink. Right when the last bar started to blink I hit 360 miles, I figured that I had at least another 40 in the tank. But as I was leaving work got on the freeway and started to go home, my brand new yaris died on the freeway.....no gas . So to let all of you guys know the speed of the gauge didnt really change a whole lot, it might have started blinking a hair faster, but I couldn't really tell. To put it plain and simple I got about 30 more miles when the gauge started to flash. So I hope this all helps everyone out there. And yes my car is doing fine now.
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
For the metric guys it means that when the gauge starts flashing you have another 50km worth of fuel. I'm going to take your word for it and not verify it myself.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Kind of off topic, but for the record it is much better for your fuel system if you never allow your car to drop below 2 bars.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Kind of off topic, but for the record it is much better for your fuel system if you never allow your car to drop below 2 bars.
Whyfor?

~YR
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
In my experience, when the blinking starts, you've got a gallon left. So 40 miles, unless you're BailOut, is going to be pushing it. The fast blinking starts pretty soon after the slow blinking. At maybe 3/4ths of a gallon? Ish.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Whyfor?

~YR
gaz pump is like a vertical tube with a piston inside, going from the bottom to the top of the fuel tank. the higher the gas level inside, the better the pump gets cooled, the longer it lasts
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for sharing your experience.
My personal experience is that about 10-15 km after the last bar has started to blink (in fact it starts to blink as soon as the second last bar goes), it will blink faster, and that has to be regarded as the final warning about fuel shortage. However, to state the obvious, it varies depending on driving style, load, car conditions and the traffic.
It is sound advice to fill up on the disappearance of the third last bar i.e. when only two bars are remaining .
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
When I was real stupid in South Dakota and 25 miles from a gas station mine started blinking.....I made it to the station.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Farminator

Drives: 3-dr MM liftback
Good to know about the gas distance when blinking. I was always wondering. Sometimes driving with it on and blinking wondering how far I could get or if there was a gas station near by just in case. I just had one comforting thought that if it did stop close to a station I could push it a lot easier than my prior F150 that I traded in for my liftback. So many things to love about the car and weight is one of them. Thanks for the test and info Falkor.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Whyfor?

~YR
That is just a general rule of thumb not to let your car get below a 1/4 tank, there are many vehicles that if drained below a 1/4 tank on a regular basis have fuel pump problems
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Not only may the pump have a problem,but there is alot of stuff at the bottom of the tank,you dont want that stuff going threw the fuel system.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
is this something specific to toyota? i had my 89 honda accord for two years and i NEVER filled it up til the gas light came on...and then i usually drove another 20-30 miles. never had any problems. same with the 01 ford focus. are toyota fuel pumps more sensative or designed differently?

Last edited by Lillydot; 04-23-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
St_G

I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Whyfor?

~YR
The Yaris uses fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump, letting it get too low can cause over heating that might result in a premature failure of the pump.

-Peter
Old 04-24-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by daq421 View Post
The Yaris uses fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump, letting it get too low can cause over heating that might result in a premature failure of the pump.

-Peter
DING DING DING... we have a winner
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.
I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
St_G

Dude, re-read what I said: "I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it!