Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Question about alternator

I was thinking of using an alternator from a Yaris for a little project. Plan to hook one up to a small engine to create a battery charger.

I had a couple of questions:

- These are self-regulating alternators, right? The ECM isn't involved in setting the charge voltage?
- The ignition switch is wired to the alternator? If it is, does it control whether or not the alternator charges, and if it does, can it be turned on and off at any time, or does the regulator stay on once ignition is seen?
- If I wanted to change the pulley, what size is the shaft?
- Is there a fan inside? I may have to spin it counter clockwise and if there's a fan, it might not work for me.

Based on what I see here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3

I think I would wire it this way:

- White: Connect directly to battery positive terminal
- Green: Connect to battery to enable alternator charging, leave floating/disconnected to freewheel alternator
- Blue: Leave disconnected, or connect through a light bulb to ground to show that the alternator is charging
- Pink: Leave disconnected
- Case: Battery ground
- Screw: Battery positive
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Bonus for someone awesome!

What is the part number for a replacement pigtail connector?
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote