Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Gen 1 and gen 2 radiator compatability

Does anyone know if the gen 1 (echo) radiator will fit on a 2nd gen yaris?

I would be using a first gen fan shroud as well as the upper hose so it fits but I'm curious as to dimensions as well as the pegs that hold it into the top and bottom support beams.

I've searched online and it appears that the dimensions are very similar but I'm curious if anyone has actual experience with this.

The reason for doing this is Mishimoto and another no name company makes a dual core all aluminum radiator for the first gen's but there is nothing available for the 2nd gen's. My coolant is hovering round 230F each track session and that is with 90% water and Amsoil coolant boost, so time to upgrade.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
It was a bummer to find out Koyo and Mishimoto had dropped the good aluminum Scion xB radiator from the lineup, it worked great. Just had to use the xB filler neck/upper hose to get everything in the right spot. The one I had got damaged in a crash at Sonomo in June.

After looking at various measurements I found one that fit in the core support and had the hoses in about the right spot - had to make upper mounts and block an air gap it left with some foam, and use a lower Yaris hose to go from the xB filler to the top of the rad - it also had slightly more capacity.

I still have the damaged one, hope is to one day send it off to Ron Davis and have a real race radiator made.

https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-neon...tor-95-99.html

You can still get aluminum 1st gen xB radiators on ebay, no idea how good the quality is, but its the easy button for a Yaris upgrade.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Excellent info, thanks Jason, this is what I was looking for.

The only unknown is that I have a 2zr which is slightly wider and since the first gen filler neck is located in the middle of the radiator it might lead to some obstruction. This is fixable by only using one of the holes to mount the filler neck which will move it over.

A fellow YW member (Ronnie) ran one of those cheap ebay rads at our local track last season on his first gen and he had no issues fitment was perfect.

This will he a $200 set up when I looked at ebay prices last night, and that's with new silicone hoses.

I wont be installing this until early spring but I'll post back here how it all works.