Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
1zz Throttle Body - what needs to be done to it

I ordered myself a 1zz throttle body from a Corolla with a 1.8 liter engine.

I've got it coming with all the sensors and stuff, I just need to know what I need to change out on it and swap from my stock throttle body to make it work in the yaris.

I know stretching the tubing onto the TB is difficult, I just don't know the other details that need to be changed on it.

Your input is very appreciated.

(I've searched and read several threads, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for, if it is already on the forums, please just point me in the right direction).

Edit: Want to do the chip swap from this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14672
but the DIY is gone, so if someone has a link to info on the chip swap, or can describe it for me, it would be much appreciated.

Edit: The more and more I read, the more I am understanding, but if anyone has any other kind of info they want to add, please feel free, or the mods can remove this thread since there are several for this TB already.

Thanks!

Last edited by kac; 10-29-2009 at 02:37 AM.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
i am gonna get one from a matrix, lemme know how it goes for you. I hear the matrix one doesn't throw a light as much.
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
certian TB's from the corolla will not work

i dont know if it still says that in the thread but it had to do with ones with certian part numbers.

it ranged from not working at all to the CEL never going off

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Don't even do it!!!! Save your self the time and money. This mod has been soooo unreliable there are only a few members on here that have gotten it to work sucessfully
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i dont think its the fact that is unreliable, moreso the fact that there were a bunch of different TBs out there and only ONE really worked

i never had an issue with the one i ran, worked out awesome!

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
kac

Update: Installed 1ZZ throttle body today (from Garm, THANKS! great price, that guy is awesome)

Works Great! No check engine lights At All. Idle was high for a couple minutes when first started and has not been high at all since even at start up.

LOVING IT.. Only problem is I should have done it sooner! Great Mod!

(Also put on some Micro Image decals which look great, Thanks Garm!)
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
see now you got me wondering, if i should just give this one more shot. That was my intial plan since the first one didn't work. i figured i would just try it again in a few months.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I keep telling you guys, it works if it's done carefully and properly.

I do not believe that some TB's work and some don't. It's a TB with a servo motor, all the juicy stuff gets swapped out.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Hmm, makes me wonder about trying this mod too
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
Update: Installed 1ZZ throttle body today (from Garm, THANKS! great price, that guy is awesome)

Works Great! No check engine lights At All. Idle was high for a couple minutes when first started and has not been high at all since even at start up.

LOVING IT.. Only problem is I should have done it sooner! Great Mod!

(Also put on some Micro Image decals which look great, Thanks Garm!)
So, do you feel any difference now? More power, better acceleration? Review please
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
kac

similar to when i modified the air intake box to make it more like a cold air intake of sorts... I notice better acceleration in the higher RPM range, and a little better throttle response.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ I keep telling you guys, it works if it's done carefully and properly.

I do not believe that some TB's work and some don't. It's a TB with a servo motor, all the juicy stuff gets swapped out.
Yeah I am going to have to disagree with that statement.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
kac

maybe carefully and properly wasn't done EXACTLY to the letter in that circumstance which would just add more support to what Garm said.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
For the TB purchased from Garm, is the chip swapped for that one?
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
kac

Yes i swapped the chip.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Well all we need is a comprehensive how-to on buying...modifying...and installing... the TB until someone sells it specifically for that reason (which is an incredible idea btw)... So I can say I am very much intersted in that if anyone decides to do it... Just coming from vehicles that didn't have a TB that is near the same...
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #17
echosqwat

Drives: Porsche Boxster
If you are not doing head work (bigger valves, porting, different cam) and improving intake manifold too ....how does this improve anything?

Sounds like a waste of time. Or is it mental HP youre gaining?
echosqwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
kac

there's several people on this forum who have done the swap and noticed a difference. Not a mental difference.