Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
brad4ds

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
Installing Rear Wheel Bearing Hub

Can anyone tell me if I can install a Rear wheel hub bearing that is not abs on a 4 wheel abs equipped 2008 Yaris Sedan. You must know that I have been driving 10000 miles without abs and I'm fine with that. I just want to save $250 dollars-the price difference between the two different parts. Thank you for any input.
brad4ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is no difference between the bearings, if you are just changing them. If you are talking about the entire hub assembly, then yes it will fit, but as you suspected you'll lose the ABS.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
brad4ds

Wheel bearing hub

Thank you CTScott. That is a relief. I guess I was confused because they had a hub online at geekparts that looked like it was made to fit a Yaris LB with ABS but would not fit the sedan and it costs more. What is the sense of the product since it was not an ABS equipped part? I guess I would be better off electric taping the ABS plug as opposed to just cutting it off?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That sounds like an incorrect listing. The sedan and LB use the same hubs. The price difference between ABS and non is crazy. $157 for non-ABS and $338 for ABS ones.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
brad4ds

Well, I was gonna take care of my sons 94 celica front bearing first but a gearhead friend of mine said if your yaris is getting worse then thats the one to do immediately. Its sounding like a 727 taking off so Im gonna order the part in a few minutes. I'll post how it goes. Thanks for the 411.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

How many miles do you have on it (the Yaris that is)?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
brad4ds

Rear wheel bearing hub

I started to hear the noise @ about 80k. A co-worker of mine has the 3door LB with 53000 and he directed me to my possible problem. I immediately went to the local Toyota dealer and they told me it was not uncommon. I've owned 8 toyotas in my time and never had a problem like this with so few miles. To know that the other bearing repair is probably right around the corner doesn't give me warm fuzzies. After reading about the ABS on this forum I already was uneasy, BUT getting a consistent 38 mpg-well you gotta love that. My part is suppose to come in tomorrow. Suppose to hit mid 90s in Rochester. Ooh. Catch ya later
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My rear left can be noisey, but driving on glass smooth pavement, the sound is gone. Tire noise?
The ABS version of this part ain't cheap.
Luckily I have NO ABS!
If you take some pics of the job, that would be really appreciated. :)

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
frbl

Drives: 2005 Scion xA
Though I don't have a Yaris, I have its cousin, a 2005 Scion xA. I watch this board because much information can be helpful for my car. I have to replace my right rear hub assembly,. I tried some penetrating oil before starting and the next day tried getting it off. The four bolts holding it on came out quite easily. But the hub assembly is giving me a heck of a time. I put it back together and have given it two more shots of penetrating oil and will try again on Friday. I still have a couple ideas up my sleeve, using heat as a last resort because that means taking the brake assembly (drums) apart which I am trying to avoid.

BTW, the car has 152,000 miles and spent some winters in Ohio, so you can imagine the rust holding this thing on. The surface area of contact between the two pieces of steel is relatively large, too.
frbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
brad4ds

Wheel bearing hub

I just finished replacing the wheel bearing hub. It was a success, after a fashion. Borrowed my neighbors 1/2 inch breaker bar with 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and deepwell 14 mm socket. The overnight penetrating oil helped. Then I too couldn't get the hub off even after beating the he'll out of it. I ended up borrowing a slide hammer from autozone. Put down a $55 deposit which I got back when tool was returned. After slamming on in for about 10 min the hub came came off. Unfortunately the brake plate was still connected to the hub. Had to remove the brake shoes, then used a small cold chisel and tapped around it til the brake plate broke loose. Cleaned it up with wire brush and sandpaper then reassembled everything. That slide hammer was a life saver.

Btw, abs connection was completely corroded. Glad I got the non abs part for 1/3 the price. Good luck with your scion
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
frbl

Drives: 2005 Scion xA
Got mine done today. What a bear. Combination PB Blaster, homemade concoction of half acetone/half ATF, and CRC Freeze-Off and lots of pounding finally got it off. I loosened the four bolts from behind and backed them 3/4's off and pounded them from behind with a dead blow hammer and socket extension. Finally got it to start coming off, but the brake backing plate was also rusted on to it. That meant I would have to take the shoes off (never fun) and chisel away between the backing plate and hub assembly. Lots of elbow grease. Dremeled out the remaining rust and slathered anti-seize all over touching surfaces and put the new one one. Torqued the bolts to spec and had a test run.

But then my brakes were weak. In my mad fight putting those darn springs back on the shoes I must have let some air into the hydraulics. Turned out to be a mixed blessing since when I went to bleed that line I saw the fluid was darker than what was in the reservoir. Flushed that through and decided I might as well flush the rest of the system. The other rear was also dark, but the front lines were pretty clear. Still, I'm glad to have fresh fluid throughout.

I DREAD the thought of having to do the other rear hub assembly...
frbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, rear hub, repairing, wheelbearing