Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
heavenswaitin

Drives: 2010 yaris
Yaris problems

I have a 2010 sedan yaris. 20060 miles on it, bought new. Since I have had it I have had trouble! Please bear with me I am in no way any type of mechanic!

First problem: 3 days after I got it I started to smell like something was burning inside the dash, I have taken it in to the dealer now 9 times for this issue alone. They can not find any problems and no codes show up.

Second problem: 9,000 aprox miles and I was at the grocery store , when I came out my car would crank but not start, since then it does it once or twice a week. I have been stuck 4 times now at 3 am when trying to leave work and it would not start, had to wait 10 minutes for it to start. Took it back to dealer all 4 times this happened and they say it did not code and they cant get it to do it for them.

Problem 3: 2 months ago I told them I was noticing that the stereo looked like it was shorting out, again there was no codes and they couldn't get it to repeat the problem. At this point I am tired of this car so I started video taping every time I try to start it and the stereo. Last week I got the stereo on video , I took it in and the first thing that was said was they still cant see what the problem is , so lil ole me whipped out the video cam and showed them. They said I had an Internal short throughout my car, they replaced stereo yesterday.
My question is will this short be the cause of it not starting also? Like I said I am in no way a mechanic and I have no clue about fixing a car so please help with any ideas as to my problems. Thanks!
heavenswaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
smell like burning and a short in the stereo ?

it could be just the stereo had a problem but it was drawing current
and interfering with other systems

see how it goes, and keep the video running until you are sure
that all problems are gone, or a problem surfaces and you will
have it on video

but whenever an electronic part fries, even the stereo, it might draw
enough current away from other systems to interfere with engine startup. protection
circuits just keep an actual fire from happening
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Well that dealer is certainly not being helpful in anyway. I'd begin by finding another dealer in you area-hopefully you have some choices. Logically it sounds like a ground is not making connection at times-with everything you've described the dealer needs to spend a little time diagnosing and not just seeing what the computer in the car says-they are not even spending anytime thinking about what it could be or what they should check. I know you're frustrated, but you're going to have to keep on this-seems crazy to wonder if it will start or not. Something has come loose or a relay is working intermittently.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
heavenswaitin

Drives: 2010 yaris
Thank you all!

I watched the mechanics ( 3 of them) when they were trying to figure it out , they spent 2 hrs under the car and under the hood. They started my car several times. So I know that they tried but it worries me since I am in a parking lot at 3 am. Thank you all for letting me know what my problems could be!

I was looking at the video of me starting my car and on the video after the car starts it sounds like a high whining noise ( like something revving up) for about a minute before it stops , so I will have to watch and listen for that today also thank you all again
heavenswaitin is offline   Reply With Quote