Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Long Tube Header Dyno results & Photo

Here is the graph of the dyno testing on the long tube header. The three runs represent the stock exhaust system, removal of the stock exhaust (running open exhuast manifold) and then the long-tube header and 2.5-inch exhaust section. We ran a 2.25 section with no change in power. System will be mild steel, header will require custom mid pipe wich will be made to go with header and pricing for both will be near $550 (waiting for official production quotes). If we get 10 people wanting this (gains are impressive), I will make a production run. The system will need a secondary oxygen simualtor (ask cali) to eliminate CEL but it causes no problems with power or driveability. Also check out posts on NST dyno results and new NA power record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Tube Header.jpg (111.7 KB, 759 views)
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
man i would hop on it but im going to be out of money after your manifold. :(
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
OMG im goin crazehhhhhh. so many new stuff so little time. since im in vegas can i see your work please?
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
richardholdener

I tried to upload photo of long-tube header but I think it was too large-I e-mailed to fellow enthusiasts and hopefully he will post it here tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
i guess he posted it in the other thread but not this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (19.5 KB, 722 views)
Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I know it's early, but could you find out what this thing will cost done in 304 SS?
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
i guess he posted it in the other thread but not this one
haha sorry I posted in the wrong thread.

Yeap, that is the picture of the Yaris long tube header from Richard.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Hey Richard,

Would you care to educate us a little bit on the theory behind this long tube header design.
You have explained a lot about the theories involved in the Intake manifold tuning and such...

We all know the main idea of an aftermarket header is to improve the flow of the exhaust gases into the exhaust pipe. People often debate also between the pro's and con's of 4-1 vs 4-2-1 designs.

So what is behind this long tube design of yours?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
richardholdener

Headers operate on the same principle as intake manifolds. The primary length is tuned to optimize scavenging (using a negative pressure wave reflected back to the open exhaust valve) that helps draw more intake charge into the combustion chamber. The header does not simply allow the exhaust to flow better than the stock ex manifold (this is the case with a larger diamter, shorty style header), but the gains are miniaml compared to teh long tube since the stock header is not terrbibly restrictive to flow. Gains from changes soley in exhaust flow are minimal as indicated by the gains offered by dropping the whole exhaust system (cats and mid pipe-middle line in graph). The real gains come from the scavenging effect produced by the combination of design characteristics of the header. We tried a number of different primary lengths and diamters as well as several collector designs to fine tune the gains. 4:1 and Tri-Y headers can be tuned to produce the same power curves-one is not inherantly better than another at different engine speeds, though each design can offer somehting not available by combinations of the other (usually minor gains in power at distinct engine speeds-but this will be dependant on the engine combination-primarily cam timing, displacement and intake design). The right design for any single combination takes a lot of work. BTW-we tesed the header designs with both the stock and new intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Hey Richard,

Would you care to educate us a little bit on the theory behind this long tube header design.
You have explained a lot about the theories involved in the Intake manifold tuning and such...

We all know the main idea of an aftermarket header is to improve the flow of the exhaust gases into the exhaust pipe. People often debate also between the pro's and con's of 4-1 vs 4-2-1 designs.

So what is behind this long tube design of yours?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
kou

Drives: 08 lb
more of my money coming your way. i want this.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I'm interested, although it's not immediately clear to me whether this header is a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 (or even if it really matters now). If someone would enlighten me I would certainly appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
kou

Drives: 08 lb
4-1.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
taKuto
rice rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I'm interested, although it's not immediately clear to me whether this header is a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 (or even if it really matters now). If someone would enlighten me I would certainly appreciate it.
all four ports just are extended and merge together at one point. So it's a 4-1.
A 4-2-1 involves having a pair of ports merge, and then those merged pipes come together to the one pipe.

sorry i dont remember the correct terms at the moment, but hopefully you get the right idea.

so i guess it needs a complete custom exhaust route if we want to keep a cat and other stuff to pass emissions?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
richardholdener

The header isa 4:1 design. Since we remove the cats for header installation, the only way to install cats would be to reposition them downstream in the exhaust. The header will require and come with a dedicated mid pipe to connect header to axle back.

Quote:
all four ports just are extended and merge together at one point. So it's a 4-1.
A 4-2-1 involves having a pair of ports merge, and then those merged pipes come together to the one pipe.

sorry i dont remember the correct terms at the moment, but hopefully you get the right idea.

so i guess it needs a complete custom exhaust route if we want to keep a cat and other stuff to pass emissions?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #17
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:

This will be an "Off-road" set up since it's catless and it won't pass an emissions inspection.

In order to take your car to inspection you will probably have to keep your OE manifold and mid pipe with the OE cats and modify it to add a flange in a way that you can remove the long tube header and mid pipe and install the OE back for inspection purposes.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
taKuto
rice rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
... header will require custom mid pipe wich will be made to go with header and pricing for both will be near $550 (waiting for official production quotes).
cost was listed in first post.

sounds like a pain to take on/off when i visit the track then :P