Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Which kind of intake do you like the most?
Short ram FTW 11 73.33%
Cold air FTW 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Question B&B Performance CAI -- n00b13 interested

Found this while looking around @ globalautoshop.com:

http://www.globalautoshop.com/access...yota_index.htm

Is this any good? Price ain't too steep ($149 + $12 S&H).
Chino: Any similarities to Ugly Betty?
Anybody: What makes this a particularly good/bad intake? I'm interested in learning a bit more about this whole thing. TIA!

P.S. sorry if this has been discussed b4!

Last edited by tk-421; 04-23-2007 at 10:04 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Yea I've seen it..I think it looks good but not sure about performance...let's wait for chino..

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
yeah it's look like Chino intake and Weapon R intake, damn i like short ram intake i think they are look really sexy. Not bad for the price.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
That's a cheap azz filtter for sure. And no one wants fake plastic chrome under their hood. Buy a quality one.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
That looks like a universal intake?? If so dont get it

I found out that anything thats a "universal" performance part for cars dont give as much power as one manufactured for the acual car. As for this instance the yaris.

Except grounding kits they just make the electrical side of things better...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
That looks like a universal intake?? If so dont get it

Well, the website sure lists this item as a model-specific intake. There's a drop-down list with varying models and prices there. Or maybe it's just an adapted version of the same universal intake? Not sure...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
when i got my car - i purchased the blitz kit, for like 120 from a local shop - went in in like 20 minutes - all the parts were heavy duty - very happy.
RShatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShatchback View Post
when i got my car - i purchased the blitz kit, for like 120 from a local shop - went in in like 20 minutes - all the parts were heavy duty - very happy.
Got any pics of that kit? Does it look like the B&B in any way? I'm starting to think about adding an intake to my car, but I just can't tell the difference (performance wise) between most of 'em...
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Its pretty similar to mine. The only thing it lacks is the flaring towards the filter and anywhere to put the sensor. It looks like its made of some cheap material though. Real metals don't shine like that no matter how you polish them. Looks a little scary.

The Blitz "intake" really isn't an intake at all. It is a filter and an MAF sensor plate that snap onto the end of the inlet tube on your stock intake. In short, all it does is replace the airbox with a filter. Definitely improves flow, but I'm going for a little more than that.

As far as what is good out there now... there are two schools of thought. Are you a short ram person or a CAI person? The numbers I've seen put air from CAI's on this car at 10 degrees cooler than stock, which seems like an insignificant difference for the loss in flow you'll get by putting the filter so far from the throttle body. Also, there are ways to get the CAI effect on a short ram. Everything from creating a ram air effect through either clever plumbing or body modification to even a Cry02 system. I've heard the TRD and Fujita intakes in person and I can say that if you're going CAI, Fujita FTW. I still think they're all a ripoff, but for some money is no object. If that is you, go for it.

Short ram, you have two choices thus far... Blitz and Weapon R. Weapon R is a nice looking piece, but again it is pricey. From what I have seen it at least appears to have the best build quality of any of them, though. Blitz seems to be a better deal, although it relies on stock parts.

The decision is purely yours, but none of the options out there are bad right now. I think they're all doctoring the sh!t out of their HP numbers, but other than that the fit and finish of whats out there is spot on. At least we have options.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
no pics, but you can look it up pretty easily, its a heavy metal adapter that attaches to the end of the stock piping replacing the air box only. Considering this car is scary slow - i wasnt crying over missing a few hp that you might gain from the 8inches of piping that the blitz kit doesnt use. I just wanted the fastest possible kit to install and take out - cause my toyota dealer loves to break balls about anything you may do to the car - so for warranty purposes I wanted to be able to get it out of there as fast as possible. I was only looking for a deep intake note when on the gas pedal - not for any power gains. You could strap an acme rocket to the back of this car and still probably lose a race to a minivan.....
RShatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
Yea I've seen it..I think it looks good but not sure about performance...let's wait for chino..

-- Blen
+1 here.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShatchback View Post
You could strap an acme rocket to the back of this car and still probably lose a race to a minivan.....
Perhaps we have different vehicles then... or are you racing one of the nissan minivans with the 3.5 engine??
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote