Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Project for a friend

A buddy of mine has 2 Kicker CVR 12" dual voice coil subs he picked up from a pawn shop a few years ago for $200 bucks. They are in a POS box right now that is going to be destroyed cause we want to fit them into '94 chevy c-series or something with an extended cab. It's got one of those fold up back seats. Anyways... I'm wondering if anyone has advice/ideas/recommendations/thoughts on amp selection for these, wiring for dual voice coil (never had one of these before), possible box ideas. We have a few very rough draft ideas, but neither of us has actually built a custom box before. I've seen and read ALOT on these forums about doing custom boxes, so I just lack experience. Thanks for all the excellent DIY's guys!

My friend wants to get a half-sleeper shell and just build a huge box in that and remove the back window so he doesn't lose his back seat. I'm open for other solutions and he doesn't have the funds to do this all right now, so this project is still in brainstorming mode and may take awhile.

The previous owner put 2 Pioneer somethings in there. We think they are 15's maybe. But they're just shoved down into the side panels at either end of the backseat bench powered by a boss 200 watt amp. He only knew they were there when he was cleaning the truck out a week after he got and saw the amp. Anyone know where we can get some instructional material to remove the panels and get those subs out?

Much appreciated guys!

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0104090718-00.jpg (59.5 KB, 112 views)
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
You have to find out what ohm load each voice coil is rated, then you find an amp to match.

DVC is like wiring up twice as many subs. If you have two DVC 4ohm subs (each sub has two 4ohm coils)... then you have four 4ohm coils. this means you can run 5 different wiring setups.

1: Parallel wiring for a 1ohm load
2: Series wiring for a 16ohm load
3: parallel-series for a 4ohm load
4: parallel wiring but with 1 amp per sub = dual 2ohm loads
5: Series wiring with 1 amp per sub = dual 8ohm loads

realistically, you'll only consider options 1 & 3, maybe 4 & 5 if you have a spare high output 2 or 4 channel amp laying around.

So, if you're buying a new amp. Look for a class D (mono sub amp) that can do full power into 1 ohm. Or look at a 2channel amp that does full power bridged @ 4ohms.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Thanks a ton for that info talnky! I kinda understand the different setups your talking about. I just got out of AC & DC circuits at TSTC last semester, but didn't have a very good teacher. Anyway you could possibly sketch up a simple diagram for options 1 and 3 that you listed?

I have a Kenwood class D amp ( KAC-9104D ) for my subs that are supposedly a 2.7ohm according to crutchfield. We got out some extra speaker wire and left his box in the bed of his truck backed up to my car and hooked it up. There is a wire terminal thing on either side of his box ( 1 for each sub ). My amp has 2 outputs, so we did one set of wires to each side. We did this because he has owned them for awhile now but has never gotten a chance to hook em up and hear them. They worked really good. When i took one of the subs out to get a model number and look up the specs on it there was nothing to be found on the backside. The speaker wire from the terminal to the sub was only connected to one of the inputs. What kind of difference would it make connecting it to both inputs?

And I just realized that maybe there is something on the other one... I'll have to take it out when I get home tonight. I'm pretty sure it has to either be 2 or 4 ohm.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
read up on JL's site... JL actually has decent tutorials.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

what you want are the
2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel (option 3)

and

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel (option 1)

as for that amp.... hooking up speaker wires to both terminals won't make a difference in ohm load... there will be no measurable difference in sound quality or volume. Its just there to make wiring up multiple subs easier.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Yeah the JL site taught me a lot on wireing amps and subs....good info on there.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. You guys are awesome!