Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
How does one "test" his oil . . .

I noticed this said several places below. Is there some sort of kit one can get if you are going extended on changes with full synthetic?
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
How do you test your oil? go to Google and select one of the dozens of oil analysis companies dedicated to automotive testing Example=http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ ,they will send you a vial that needs to be filled with your oil then send it back to the lab and within a week or two they will send you the report on your oils condition.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Everything I've read and seen shows that it costs more to have this analysis done than to change the oil on a regular car. These tests seem beneficial if you're doing vehicles that hold a lot of oil-semi trucks/buses or you suspect internal engine problems.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
If your going to run past the recommend service life of your oil under the conditions of your driving then oil analysis makes since. For me l'm staying at the severe conditions milage of the Amsoil SSO
oil, 17,500 miles. I'll change then and don't plan spending the $$ on a test.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Everything I've read and seen shows that it costs more to have this analysis done than to change the oil on a regular car. These tests seem beneficial if you're doing vehicles that hold a lot of oil-semi trucks/buses or you suspect internal engine problems.
Which is why I'll stick with conventional oil and recommended change intervals.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Exactly, just change the oil.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Interesting discrepancies between oil testing companies:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/labtest.html

so when you get your UOA know the actual results are + or - 100%
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Well, I know the diff between regular and synthetic oil. Synth works.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
You can get a free kit from Blackstone, then pay them for the UOA, or you can buy a test kit from WIX and get the UOA done for free. WIX results aren't as detailed, final prices are pretty close.

I plan on getting two Blackstone UOAs done, testing two synthetics against each other [Mobil 1 0w-30 vs PP 5w-30] to help decide which does the best job.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I will test your oil for $10! In fact you dont even have to send me any. I just do a mind meld with your car! (only in the lower 48 not including ak and hi) No one else can do this. Is that hy tec or what?!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Interesting discrepancies between oil testing companies:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/labtest.html

so when you get your UOA know the actual results are + or - 100%
3 out of those 4 labs are quite close-remember the spectro is in parts per MILLION. Knowing and trusting the lab you use is part of the deal, just like everything else.

Testing the oil does cost a bit of money but gives you info you can't get any other way. It is true the testing can cost as much (or more depending on what your using) than doing an oil change. However, you can change your oil as often as you want if you've got an internal coolant leak or the engine is ingesting dirt somewhere, for instance, it WILL wear prematurely. So, if you can extend oil change intervals and/or monitor for problems it can be worth it. It at least is a good idea periodically to monitor for problems. You do have to know something about reading them as in most cases the labs observations/recommendations are pretty inadequate.

Having said that it's pretty much my hobby and is a better investment than a lot of hobbies I can think of.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
From what Ive seen on oil boards, 90 percent of people getting their oil tested misinterpret or make bad assumptions with the test results. All said, an economical practice (using a good long life synthetic like Total Quartz or Motul X-max or redline) would be to: just do a 2x /year oil change in december and april in cold climates. Make sure you have a good filter on there too - nothing too fine sieve. This would not apply to short trippers , you need more frequent OCi. Me, I dont like mid grade PAO synthetics, PAO are not inherently good lubricants - though they are good cold flow fluids. They will oxidise and thicken over long drain intervals. Amsoil (?) and M1 Ep are examples of PAO syns. The toyota 0w-20 Idemitsu syntetic is a fine oil if you are not afraid of 20wt like me - My car gets flogged too hard, IMO , for 20wt but I'm willing to be proved wrong on this. Note: I am not aware of the 1nzfe being spec'd for 0w-20 oils and I dont know why, given toyota spec the 1nzfe for 5w-20.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 12-03-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: sp
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Note: I am not aware of the 1nzfe being spec'd for 0w-20 oils and I dont know why, given toyota spec the 1nzfe for 5w-20.
You're correct-it's not speced for 0W-20 and also correct that it makes no sense in light of allowed 5W-20 use. The BIOSYN I'm currently running has the highest HTHS of any 20 wt I've seen so no worries.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote