Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #37
FlintS

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
This in turning into on great thread jack...... Should we start another one labeled "Who has the bigger dick?"
Just a joke guys..... no offense.....
FlintS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #38
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintS View Post
This in turning into on great thread jack...... Should we start another one labeled "Who has the bigger dick?"
Just a joke guys..... no offense.....
i fookin recon...but it is quite amusing when they throw words at each other.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #39
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
OK, OK, you guys are right. I'm sorry for the thread pollution, it stops now... information only.

Let me sum my thoughts on the "fast" debate up in two sentences.
[1] No Yaris will ever be fast without one or a combination of the following: engine swap, turbocharger, supercharger, built engine, nitrous, proper tune.
[2] Since it costs so much money to complete any of the aforementioned steps, it makes no sense to cut any corners on any of the work or parts leading up to it

Or one sentence...
If you're going to do it, do it right.

If you're going to bolt stuff on your car, that is great... I think it is a great way to express yourself and enjoy your days. However, don't live under the illusion that you'll be fast. If you wanted a super cheap and easy way to fast, you bought the wrong car. Having said that, put $10,000 into a $13,000 Yaris the right way and you suddenly have a $23,000 car that is nothing short of fast, so in that way maybe modding a Yaris is the best way to get a fast new car right now. Its all in how you look at it. The reason I was arguing that the bolt-on phase would be more money than you guys made it sound is because I figured if you're going to go for a big power-adder down the line, you have to provide a good base of mods so that you will be able to use your hard-spent money to its full potential. Whether or not the cost is worth the reward is entirely up to the driver, but I foresee a lot of people being disappointed when they cut a corner or two with this car and it starts to fall apart at the seams. If you don't believe me, go browse horror stories at ScionLife. The 1NZ is a tricky little sucker.

To clarify quickly about the pulleys, I knew that comment was wrong but I figured for a proper answer I'd go straight to the source. Here is what Mike from NST had to say when I referred him to Nimble's comment regarding multiple pulleys...

Quote:
Other pulley manufacturers have often released pulleys that have not been tested properly or have gone to extreme specifications. Unfortunately a lack of testing and real world anticipation has led to problems for certain users such as dimming lights or weak batteries, which in turn led to a stigma about pulleys in general. NST products are tested on race cars in different levels of motorsports as well as on street cars prior to release. NST products are not tested on store shelves with digital cameras.
NST is going to release a lightened water pulley and alternator pulley shortly that will compliment their existing crank pulley. Me and a few of my friends [] will have all three pulleys installed this summer. Myth busted.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 04-08-2007 at 09:44 PM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #40
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintS View Post
Chino, Not trying to dis you in any way, I am just stating that if you are smart enough you can do it all for a lot less then many think.. I have spent my whole life in this industry and I laugh at all the kids that come into spending full retail plus some to fix up there cars... Once again not to dis, but there are deals out there to be had...

Oh, trust me... I know they're out there. However, as a private owner who does not work in the business, let me assure you it isn't easy to drag a deal out of the aftermarket if you don't work in it. Comapnies generally want one of three things...

[1] The product was designed and developed without a donor car and they need someone who can test the part on the vehicle itself [apparently this only applies to California, haha]
[2] The company designing the product wants exposure within a community of enthusiasts [like YW] and is willing to supply the part at a discount or free in return for a good word, DIY tutorial, real-world product test, etc.
[3] The company wants more widespread exposure and is willing to provide parts at a discount in return for a sticker display or other type of exposure medium. This usually applies to heavily-modified cars that are slated to appear at shows or in magainzes.

It is a snowball effect. The more support you get, the more likely you are to receive more. Most private owners have to stick to 1 or 2, which leaves options limited. However, if you have something to offer a company and they have something to offer you, you can often strike a deal that lands you with heavier pockets.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #41
project y

Drives: yaris
lancer oz easy
project y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #42
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Blitz, Supercharger System Toyota 1.5L part number 10152 (manual only). This kit comes with all parts needed for the mod to include instructions.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #43
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by project y View Post
lancer oz easy
you using direct nitrous.... sorry direct KRYLON injection to make your car go faster?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #44
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
Quote:
you using direct nitrous.... sorry direct KRYLON injection to make your car go faster?

everyone knows our engines are made out of aluminum.... krylon only works on plastics you have to spray it on the outside of the car to lower the coefficient of drag.. hahah
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #45
project y

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
quicker than yours
project y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #46
FlintS

Other then the intake and headers everything mentioned is needed any way for a turbo application. Without Springs and struts good luck sticking any power down. Same goes for the rims and tires. Short shifter...exhaust...it all is needed any how when you bolt in a turbo. I have built many of cars, and the point is, if you are racing your chick on the street you are porb not a candidate for turbo. Turboing a N/A car should be left for people that track race anyhow... Stick with the simple bolt ons and have some fun... All bolt ons in the list are DIY oriented. There are not to many people here that can bolt on a turbo.... Muy Expensive for the install, tuning, etc... If I read the post right he said fast... He did not say Beating an EVO fast, just an OZ... The yris with bolt ons will beat an OZ...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #47
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
The yris with bolt ons will beat an OZ...
No, no it won't... unless the person driving the OZ is really, really bad.

There is one piece of the puzzle we haven't even mentioned. If you want a Yaris that is faster than your friend's car, just learn how to drive. I beat a WRX the other day, and I promise you it isn't because my car is faster. I just don't miss gears or shift points. It amazes me how many people have no idea what they're doing in a manual.

If you want a fast Yaris, start saving your money.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #48
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yes, tightening the nut behind the wheel is often the cheapest and most efficient mod

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #49
ChinoCharles
Banned

Thomas is talking about nuts again.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #50
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
you like it, don't you?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #51
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Got Boost?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #52
FlintS

Anyone else up for turning this into the longest thread ever?????
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #53
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
So when is the race happening??? Any updates on your bolt ons? Is your Yaris already fast?

Just a thought... A live web cam and you could have all YW members cheering for you at the race!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #54
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
yes, tightening the nut behind the wheel is often the cheapest and most efficient mod
I found this mod sometimes can cause the nut to crack and all hell to break loose sometimes making the car faster