Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Just ordered new TRD rear sway bar

I'd been looking for a used one for a while but they are clearly scarce.

Delivered to my US post box for $173.00 USD. Not too bad.

Can't wait to install it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I don't think that's a bad price. Some users have enjoyed the Whiteline bar. Not sure if you looked at those.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I don't think that's a bad price. Some users have enjoyed the Whiteline bar. Not sure if you looked at those.
Yes, I did look at the Whiteline bar. They were more expensive and look like a lot more work to install. I'll do some more reading on them. I made the assumption, maybe falsely, that TRD would know the car best and as such develop the most appropriate product for it.

In the meantime, I've been watching youtube videos on suspension components/functions, oversteer, understeer etc. Quite fascinating stuff, actually. I hope that the TRD bar doesn't make the car too stiff and make me lose traction in the rear. Basically, the videos I watched led me to believe that in daily driving situations, that stabilizer bars are effective, but maybe less desireable on a race track.

Oh, yeah, and I do a lot of highway driving, so hoping that the sway bar will make the car a little more stable at highway speeds. Plus, living on the coast we get a lot of buffeting winds and the little Yaris is pretty susceptible to them. :)

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I think you will be very pleased with the sway bar. I too have heard that it's not best for the track, I don't know if that's actually true as I have never tracked my car but as far as the street is concerned it was the best money I spent on my car.

Yes it will help with highway drift. No it won't make the rear suspension too stiff. And yes it will help in the curves. Enjoy.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
There's not much more to installing the Whiteline one other than bolting the bar to the actual torsion beam using the supplied bracket - just did mine a couple of weeks back. We don't even have the option of a TRD bar in Aus. This is a very simple job in comparison to replacing an engine ;)

But yes, buy one - they both do the same job, except the Whiteline one being adjustable for all its worth.

For a daily driver, it'll dramatically improve how flat the car feels through a corner. Wouldn't worry about what people say about the track unless you plan to turn this into some dedicated track car. You'll still have plenty of fun with it on the odd track day.

Yes, you do need to be conscious about lift off oversteer, but not worried about it. Putting one of these bars on is instantly going to make you want to throw some decent rubber on it :)
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I think you will be very pleased with the sway bar. I too have heard that it's not best for the track, I don't know if that's actually true as I have never tracked my car but as far as the street is concerned it was the best money I spent on my car.

Yes it will help with highway drift. No it won't make the rear suspension too stiff. And yes it will help in the curves. Enjoy.
Thanks NYC-SE. I read posts by you and others before about the sway bar and no doubt they contributed to my desire to obtain one. I've definitely heard others express the notion that it's one of the best investments a person can make for the car. Can't wait! Only downside is that I'll have to wait until spring to enjoy the benefits. Well, maybe I can get the car out once or twice when the roads are clear. Haha

Old 11-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
There's not much more to installing the Whiteline one other than bolting the bar to the actual torsion beam using the supplied bracket - just did mine a couple of weeks back. We don't even have the option of a TRD bar in Aus. This is a very simple job in comparison to replacing an engine ;)

But yes, buy one - they both do the same job, except the Whiteline one being adjustable for all its worth.

For a daily driver, it'll dramatically improve how flat the car feels through a corner. Wouldn't worry about what people say about the track unless you plan to turn this into some dedicated track car. You'll still have plenty of fun with it on the odd track day.

Yes, you do need to be conscious about lift off oversteer, but not worried about it. Putting one of these bars on is instantly going to make you want to throw some decent rubber on it :)
Thanks Stidnam. I really like the look and apparent simplicity of the TRD bar. Maybe after installing the TRD bar, I will feel that having adjustment ability would be an asset. But, from what everybody is saying, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I don't recall anyone mentioning if the sway bars make the ride rougher or not. Personally, I like the ride characteristics of the OEM suspension in regard to up and down movements. Cornering will no doubt be improved. And yes, tires will be a consideration in the future. Right now, I have 195's on my OEM wheels and I'm sure that this wide a tire on a relatively narrow rim is not helping much in terms of cornering. I like a wider tire look, but also love my OEM alloys.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #8
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
I've been using mine for over 2 months now. The engineering is a work of beauty as it is tucked right below the torsion beam unlike UR

I'd say it is street spec as you would notice a slight bit of additional stiffness. Those who track or autocross may feel it too soft and prefer UR 23mm instead.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I agree that the TRD bar does a great job of hiding away nicely. For a dd it is a great addition and will help with highway stability, reducing understeer slightly and stiffening up the rear end.

It is true however, that it will essentially turn the rear from a semi independent suspension into a more solid axle type suspension. If you ever remove your shocks in the rear bounce one side of the rear torsion beam and you will see how independant they truly are, it is impressive. The rsb will remove much of the independace. So for the track you want to use proper spring rates to control the rear body roll and adjust damper settings to control under/over steer. This allows you to maintain rear traction and the originally semi independant design.

For your application it is a great addition and you will really enjoy it. The install is super straight forward
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Yup, as mentioned by Fluxtasy, there's a slight bit of additional stiffness to the ride, but not much.

If the TRD was cheaper than the whiteline, that's what I would have bought as well. The adjustability isn't worth the extra money, and it's not like I'm ever going to change it.

Stock wheels are 5.5j. My personal preference for a 195 is 6.5 or 7j, running a 50 or 55 sidewall depending on the wheel size. Each to their own :)
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Maybe after installing the TRD bar, I will feel that having adjustment ability would be an asset.
No you won't.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
06YarisRS

All this positive feedback about the TRD bar is really building my anticipation. It does sound like an excellent, cost effective upgrade. We have awesome roads around here as it's coastal terrain. Lots of winding roads combined with hills and valleys should make for a very enjoyable driving experience. It's going to be a blast. Thank you all!

Old 12-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
All this positive feedback about the TRD bar is really building my anticipation. It does sound like an excellent, cost effective upgrade. We have awesome roads around here as it's coastal terrain. Lots of winding roads combined with hills and valleys should make for a very enjoyable driving experience. It's going to be a blast. Thank you all!
it works on my '15.

WHEEEEE.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
it works on my '15.

WHEEEEE.
Good to know.

Received a notification 2 days ago that my bar was on back order. Called the dealer in Pennsylvania yesterday and they said it was just coming from a different warehouse, in California. Got my tracking number today. Yay!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Good to know.

Received a notification 2 days ago that my bar was on back order. Called the dealer in Pennsylvania yesterday and they said it was just coming from a different warehouse, in California. Got my tracking number today. Yay!
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #16
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Keep us posted how she handles with the racing parts.. lol
-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Keep us posted how she handles with the racing parts.. lol
-- Adam
Sure will, man!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
DarkShadowFox
Banned

TRD Racing mannnn