Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Brace yourselves, east coast US, and 20 miles inland

one of the real doomsday east coast scenarios, is a collapse of a ridge
on La Palma. This ridge already has a crack that has been forming for years,
with almost no seismic activity. If it collapses, this might create the
mega-tsunami that makes Japan tsunamis look like moon tides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNsK...eature=related

Right now, El Heirro island volcano is erupting.

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09...sed-to-yellow/

Chances of immediate disaster are low, but they are increasing extremely rapidly in geologic terms.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Read Velikovsky for a clue of what is coming...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Read Velikovsky for a clue of what is coming...

I am just stating fact that a volcano is now erupting in the Canary Islands. Always a dangerous prospect.

Immanuel Velikovsky is 88% total crackpot.

plz don't threadjack with instructions to read myths by the uninformed...kthxbye

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 11-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
I am just stating fact that a volcano is now erupting in the Canary Islands. Always a dangerous prospect.

Immanuel Velikovsky is 88% total crackpot.

plz don't threadjack with instructions to read myths by the uninformed...kthxbye
You are CORRECT on this FACT!!
Not IF, but WHEN, it does happen. It will forever change the USA & world.
There will be an inland sea which could cover inland up to 2 to 3 states.
The wave coming in could reach a height of 1/4 mile high. But once the
waters start to receed, thats when the real devastation will take place.
The amount of debris that was collected as the wave moves inland, now collects even more as it moves back out.
This will be DEVASTATING!!
How do you evacuate the population of the ENTIRE East Coast???
My scariest thought has been a terrorist group exploding a device on or near this volcano.
The world will stop functioning as we know it. Well, at least the civilized world. It will take decades to recover from this.
When the failure occures, I can only hope that just a small portion breaks off and not the entire islands western slope.

Yes, I live on the west coast. But I and EVERYONE will be affected by this.
This will not be good.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

hopefully when it slides into the sea, it goes slowly and only makes a wee little burp
Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
Not to diss anyone's opinions, but...
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And tsunamis are an example of this. Drop a rock in the water and it sends out ripples. The energy contained in those ripples will remain constant under ideal conditions, but will drop over time in any real situation. In order for a 1/4 mile high wave (or even a 100-metre-high wave) to hit the whole East Coast, enough energy must be imparted at the source to create such a wave. I haven't crunched any numbers yet, but I'd be willing to bet (with my life, actually, since I live on a small island on the East Coast) that no one volcano in the Canaries can produce enough power to do this.
You not only have to create the initial wave, but then to send it over 3000 miles, and have it create a mega-wave over 2000 miles of coastline. Assuming the landslide that causes this is over, say 5 miles of coast, then each mile of slide must be able to power a giant wave that will cover 400 miles of coast on the other side.
I call "Improbable" at best, but will look at the numbers.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Not to diss anyone's opinions, but...
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And tsunamis are an example of this. Drop a rock in the water and it sends out ripples. The energy contained in those ripples will remain constant under ideal conditions, but will drop over time in any real situation. In order for a 1/4 mile high wave (or even a 100-metre-high wave) to hit the whole East Coast, enough energy must be imparted at the source to create such a wave. I haven't crunched any numbers yet, but I'd be willing to bet (with my life, actually, since I live on a small island on the East Coast) that no one volcano in the Canaries can produce enough power to do this.
You not only have to create the initial wave, but then to send it over 3000 miles, and have it create a mega-wave over 2000 miles of coastline. Assuming the landslide that causes this is over, say 5 miles of coast, then each mile of slide must be able to power a giant wave that will cover 400 miles of coast on the other side.
I call "Improbable" at best, but will look at the numbers.

look at the numbers first plz

the most likely scenario
a catastrophic failure of La Palma west flank, drops 150 to 500 km3 of rock into the sea. Using a geologically reasonable estimate of landslide motion, we model tsunami waves produced by such a collapse. Waves generated by the run-out of a 500 km3 (150 km3) slide block at 100 m/s could transit the entire Atlantic Basin and arrive on the coasts of the Americas with 10-25 f (3-8 m) height.

why does this matter ? it will be the entire east coast where there are ZERO tsunami walls in place.

it is probably not going to happen, or it will slide incrementally and not produce large waves, but
the possibility exists nonetheless and the chance is increased lately due to volcanic activity

the base of the island is 4000 meters below sea level. If that full flank also blows out in a huge eruption
and lateral collapse, similar to Mt St Helens (where the entire side of the volcano slid outward and downhill),
there will be a tsunami far larger than the estimate above. Will is happen ? probably not, but the chance is not zero.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Sounds like the perfect place for Dr. Evil to build a sub-terranian borring machine to deliver an atom bomb to the heart of the volcano and then ask for.... one meeeeeeeelion dollars....
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
hahaha^

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
SailDesign

Quote:

the most likely scenario
a catastrophic failure of La Palma west flank, drops 150 to 500 km3 of rock into the sea. Using a geologically reasonable estimate of landslide motion, we model tsunami waves produced by such a collapse. Waves generated by the run-out of a 500 km3 (150 km3) slide block at 100 m/s could transit the entire Atlantic Basin and arrive on the coasts of the Americas with 10-25 f (3-8 m) height.

why does this matter ? it will be the entire east coast where there are ZERO tsunami walls in place.

<snip!>
Glad to see a more reasonable estimate of wave height. It is the 1/4-mile high wave that I refuse to believe. The amount of energy required to produce that over that much coastline is just unimaginable. Producing a 25-foot wave is still a staggering thought, but is imaginable.
I'm glad someone else knows how to calculate this stuff, because what I have been able to find really doesn't make it look simple.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I say we fight back if there was a tsunami coming to the east coast.. by making a counter tsunami... yes?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I say we fight back if there was a tsunami coming to the east coast.. by making a counter tsunami... yes?
lol

10-25 foot tall waves are nothing to joke about... that's borderline insane.
That's like Day after Tomorrow stuff, well almost.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
So, "dingo ate my baby", when did you read (or re-read) Velikovsky? Recently? Or did you just go to Wiki or some other reliable scientific source?

By the way, "Lucifer's Hammer" gives a fairly accurate description of such a catastrophe, and how it would affect life in the ol' USA. One of the points about science fiction is, unlike ordinary fiction, it has to be believable.

Sail Design is likely the only one here that completely understands the dynamics of tidal waves. A 25' wave could travel a LONG ways inland, and eliminate (not damage) everything in it's path. The East Coast of the US would certainly be an unimaginable catastrophe. To think it couldn't happen is indeed folly; deciding when is an activity for scientists or fools...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
SailDesign

Yesterday, Dingo says:

Quote:
<snip>
Using a geologically reasonable estimate of landslide motion, we model tsunami waves produced by such a collapse.
<more snip>
And today, Dingo says:

Quote:
<snip!>
People don't pay me to see me look neat, they pay me to think and solve complex issues,
which can make or break a company, or profit margin. It is bleeding edge IT security stuff.<snip again!>
Dood - do you model tsunami waves, or are you an IT security consultant? Please make up your mind.
I don't honestly care which, but you are not sounding particularly together here. If you model tsunamis, that's fine - but if you are an IT expert, please don't pretend to be able to model things like that in the real world. I'm only a yacht designer/engineer. I don't pretend to have the naus to do sh!t like that, although I do understand wave energy spectral calcs and all that they imply.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
WOW!!!! To all of this. Great info!!!
West Coast it is, I guess no worries about tsunamis for me
Just the BIG ONE!! Earthquake when it hits.
HUUMMM, wonder if a California earthquake happens, could it send a tsunami
around the world to hit USA East Coast???
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yesterday, Dingo says:

And today, Dingo says:

Dood - do you model tsunami waves, or are you an IT security consultant? Please make up your mind.
I don't honestly care which, but you are not sounding particularly together here. If you model tsunamis, that's fine - but if you are an IT expert, please don't pretend to be able to model things like that in the real world. I'm only a yacht designer/engineer. I don't pretend to have the naus to do sh!t like that, although I do understand wave energy spectral calcs and all that they imply.

I do a lot.

here is who did the number crunching.

Steven N. Ward
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics,
University of California, Santa Cruz California, USA

Simon Day
Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre,
Department of Geological Sciences,
University College, London, UK

and I am NOT an IT -consultant-. I work on protecting information assets and
to give you a clue I work with everything from cryptographic algorithms, behavior analysis,
fractal mathematics, predictive analytics, biometrics, and how to keep cereal crispy.
I do not consult. I actually fix problems. Problems can have 1 element or 1000, and can be
anything you imagine. I have an IQ I am happy with and I seem to have an ability to
grasp any new subject or task with relative ease (relative to others in the same room,
working on the same issues).

I am no better at anything, than any other person. But I do my job well, that is all I can say.

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 11-08-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
SailDesign

Thank you for at least defining "We". A pretty loose description, though, if they work 7000 miles apart from each other, for different universities, and not for an IT firm (which you appear to work for)
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Dingo = The Wolf (it all makes sense now)
Attached Images
File Type: png WinstonWolfII.png (107.9 KB, 35 views)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote